My new app did not make "new releases" again, maybe i need quit.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by OrientMaple, Nov 20, 2009.

1. OrientMaple

OrientMaple Well-Known Member

Hi guys

I put this in a new thread cos I do not want to hear opinions about Apple's changes. I am only interested in how to deal with this issue.

My new app iShootTurkey Pro was approved in the midday of November 19. As a result, it was not added to the new releases list until now. Last time, the free version iShootTurkey release in the same way, disappear whole day cann’t believe. on the contrary, I find that some old apps still can be seen on the release date. some apps simply release version 1.0 app every time.... What’s the matter about the ‘new release’? LAME! Perhaps someone have a release date selection now?

Hopes fading away! As an old DEV team, we developed many apps. ‘3D CHESS’, first-ever meaningful 3d chess application in the iPhone. ‘Relax Helper’, more powerful than ‘white noise’, ‘Amazing Piano’ full of original mind piano game etc. more than 30 apps now. Whereas we still can’t seen any our appfeatured in "New and Noteworthy" or “hot”. Live above our income now. If we still can’t benefit from new game ShootTurkey Pro. Maybe we need quit:(

2. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    I'm not entirely sure but with over 100 000 apps and more coming in every few minutes, I'm not sure whether apple can stuff everything in there page. However I think you were unlucky to miss out every time. If you want to raise your popularity offer your app to review sites or promote it in forums like this.

3. OrientMaple

too much people just submitted first tiny app. get on "New and Noteworthy" or "hot"
    Unfair!!!:mad:

4. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

Like itman mentioned, it looks like you just got caught in a crunch of new apps.

The holiday season will likely see a big increase of apps and this will not help apps get the kind of attention they need.

I feel for you.

David

5. OrientMaple

yep, i got ur point.
    the holiday season is coming. we still need hard working...
    but why old app can still display on the release date list?
    a similarity of version No. 1.0

6. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Something's definitely not right with the release-date list. I released my app Insulting Monk a couple of weeks ago and it was a now show on that list for days. When it finally wound up it was pushed down to something like page 6 (in iTunes) and older apps were still floating around on page 1.

Now, Insulting Monk might very well not have been my ticket to fame and fortune (after all it contains absolutely no boobs) but it would have been nice if it at least had a glimmer of visiblity the day it came out. Alas, parts of the App Store seems a bit flakey at the moment and Fortuna didn't feel like giving me a hand on this occasion.

7. minga

minga Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    where is the new releases list that everyone speaks of?

8. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    its on appstore, on ur iphone tap on release date. it show the most recent apps

9. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I don't think those lists have a large effect on sales. You are much more likely to be seen on the Appshopper feeds by people who buy apps regularly than on a list that takes 3-4 taps to get to. Appshopper, in my experience, gets pretty much everything no matter what Apple does.
    I think you should keep at it. Try to find another way to market your app like TA threads (you're already doing this) or promotions.

10. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I was skeptical that these lists did anything but thanks to the new rules (revs don't appear as new) and the fact that racing games is one of the slowest moving new release lists. I was on the first page for about 9 days.

My sales took a serious dive when it finally moved to the second.

11. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    That's true that those list for some developer doesn't change the outcome. But normally they already created a hype and a lot of people are already waiting got their release whether it appear or not in the new release list.

But for other developer like my friend with his game Cubic Match that didn't have any kind of promotion before it hit the AppStore, his only away to get people to know about it and (download the trial or buying the full version) was the exposure on the new release list.

And each time he made an update (twice), most of the download/sales were one the first few days he was on the first pages. Once he drop to page 4 or and further his download/sales drop to near 0.

This is also why on my side I am already letting people know that we are working on a "secret" iPhone project ;-). I know, I know I didn't have any show "real" concrete stuff yet, but it's out there and soon we will show it to the world :D. The best is to create a buzz/hype so it doesn't matter where you land on the new release list and hope for the best.

12. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    im not a dev or anything so can only give my consumer side of things here.

the trouble with the appstore showing older releases before new sounds bad, definately a bit demoralising, however as someone previously said, almost noone will look there anyways.

you get new and noteworthy or hot for having stand out games, things that demand attention and are worth some coin.

youve created plenty of apps and its great the idevice has devs like this but i shall always maintain .. quality over quanity. 1 great polished app will outshine 1000 match three, tap shooting tetris clones anyday.

13. YOMANx

YOMANx Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    my apps trail version too not added to release :(

14. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    What we did was do a lot of marketing before release - two months is best. Do videos, give exclusives to the online magazines, just promote the game to the hilt. The Touch Arcade forums are great for that.

We never got on the new release lists but I would say it really did not effect the launch.

15. Derochea72

Derochea72 Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Floor installer
    Ma
    There is no such list. The only place to go is here at touch arcade, the app store is way to cluttered and nobody I know goes there to shop because apple is to busy pocketing there profits instead of hiring a team to keep the list updated

16. OrientMaple

thx all
    yep, i got ur point
    more promotion more patience
    looking forward to xmas day

but app store still frozen
    bore me until now :mad: