Is iPhone/iPod touch can make enter/mess in hendhold console market?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shadowriver, May 25, 2008.

1. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

May 25, 2008
    Poland, Wrocław
    Probably you rapidly seen this question after march 6 ;>
    Apple is already trying the same thing with Apple TV ;p

2. jatt_american

jatt_american Member

May 26, 2008
    it is hard to say a yes or no because this question will have a correct answer once we see the quality of the games on the iPhone and just seeing couple of the screenshots i think it will just hype up the gaming industry with no buttons and stuff. but on the other hand it will be hard to just play with accelometer which will be hard for racing games. at the end i would just say just few more weeks and we can come to an conclusion.... but one last thing the graphics till now beats the NINTENDO DS hands down. seriously :D

3. Shadowriver

May 25, 2008
    Poland, Wrocław
    Touch screen is also good for strategic and economic games ^^
    But DS got one big plus ;p it's cheaper then iPhone OS devices.

4. jatt_american

jatt_american Member

May 26, 2008
    sure it is cheaper than the iPhone but the costumer only gets cheap graphics.. Just from point of view i would rather go for iPhone now than a DS ;)

5. Jeav93

Jeav93 Member

Jun 9, 2008
    iPhone & iPod touch > PSP > DS

definitely without a doubt ^^

6. Shadowriver

May 25, 2008
    Poland, Wrocław
    Ye 199$ ^^ now we need some developers support ;> we need something more then EA and Sega :p

7. coolfrost

coolfrost Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Indian development company Robosoft, http://www.robosoftin.com/iphone, develops games for iPhone.

They are one of the biggest Mac development house who have delivered hit titles on the Mac like Tomb Raider Anniversary

8. Minimoose 360

Minimoose 360 New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    I think that it will make some waves. After playing Crash Bandicoot Nitro Cart on my iPhone, I am a believer. (And it is only a launch title!)

9. OmniGeno

OmniGeno Member

Jul 18, 2008
    On one hand I am pleasantly surprised to see the high quality of the games that have been released for the iPhone/touch. On the other hand, I'm a bit skeptical about the platform's prowess in the games market in the near future. The biggest thing for me is battery life. Ever since the app store launched and I've been enjoying these fantastic games, I've noticed my battery life dwindling about three times faster than usual. Without a user-replaceable battery, what am I going to do in the long(short?) run when my battery totally goes out?

Here's how I see it. For those who have a touch or an iPhone, it is a viable alternative such that they won't need to get a DS or PSP unless they have extra cash to throw around. But for those in the market for a simple gaming system, a DS or PSP may be the way to go.

Feel free to disagree, as this is just my opinion based on preliminary observations. If I'm wrong, then all the better for apple and for us customers. Oh, and I'm loving my iPod with the new apps. It's a year old now but it feels as if I just got a brand new toy.

10. transer

transer Member

Jul 14, 2008

I'm planning on investing in an external power pack to deal with the battery issue. There are a bunch in different styles, including at least one that fits almost like a dock.

I'm personally *really* impressed with the games on the iPhone. As soon as I can gather all my accessories, my DS lite is going up on ebay!

11. xdanleex

xdanleex Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Procrastinating
    LA,CA
  12. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

But add the price of games into the mix and see what happens

13. xdanleex

xdanleex Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Procrastinating
    LA,CA
    lol i realized were posting after an year. lol but yeah add the price to mix good idea

14. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    iDevices were made for multimedia, then got gaming added onto it later.
    PSP's and DS's were made for gaming, then got multimedia added onto it later/multimedia was added on the same time.
    PSP & DS > iDevices in gaming.

The only reasons you guys are always on the iDevices more is because you carry it around much more often than a PSP or a DS. Think about it: if you were going outside and you wanted music, you'd bring your iPod Touch, not your PSP. Then if you had time, you'd just play your iPod Touch because you don't have your PSP with you right now.

An iPhone is a even bigger reason why you always have it. It's your phone. You HAVE to have it with you all the time, which means whenever you have free time you just whip out your iPhone to play games, not your PSP/DS because you don't have it with you.

iPhone is great for small games, and there are medium games like Zenonia or RealRacing. There are also possibly some quality games like Modern Sandstorm: Warfare and Assassin's Creed.
    But to be honest, none of those can compare to what PSPs and DSs have: BUTTONS. PSP/DS will forever dominate the gaming industry. iPods will forever dominate the music industry. It's as simple as that.