choppy Framerate with Elgato game capture HD.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by pixelzapp, Apr 18, 2013.

1. pixelzapp

pixelzapp Active Member

I'm recording some footage of my new game using an iphone 5, hdmi adaptor and a Elgato Game Capture.

Overall the Elgato has been fantastic & really easy to use. The problem I've got is that the game runs smoothly at 60fps on the phone .. but the resulting video is ever so slightly choppy.

anybody got any tips on how to get around this?

2. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Unfortunately you're kinda SOL capturing from devices that use Lightning ports. Details here: http://www.panic.com/blog/2013/03/the-lightning-digital-av-adapter-surprise/ and this comment in particular: http://www.panic.com/blog/2013/03/the-lightning-digital-av-adapter-surprise/#comment-16841 Basically you're not getting pristine HDMI output, it's video encoded through the same pipe used by AirPlay. So anything that stutters through AirPlay (which is mostly everything) will stutter through the Lightning HDMI adapter.

3. pixelzapp

pixelzapp Active Member

Thanks for the info ChaoticBox - I'll try switching back to the iPad3.

Anyone know if it's possible to get a 60fps video out of the elgato?

4. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    You might get closer to 60FPS if you disable Retina. Presumably the video encoding takes some CPU (and GPU?) and the huge size of the retina display buffer as only going to add to that.

5. pixelzapp

pixelzapp Active Member

after a bit more research:
    The elgato can output 60fps when the input is 720p.
    My ipad3 / iphone5 output 1020p - which the elgato can only output at 30fps.

So I'll have to work out how to force the games second screen to be 720p. Anyone got any examples of how to do this?

6. pixelzapp

pixelzapp Active Member

I found a solution which allows me to capture at 60fps at 720p:

The iPhone/iPad scales it's output depending on what device it is connected to. The elgato game capture HD reports a 1080p device. To get a 720p signal I've plugged my phone into a HDMI splitter and then have the splitter feeding to a HDReady TV (720p) and to the Elgato game capture HD. This results in my phone 'seeing' the 720p TV and outputting a 720p signal .. which in turn allows the elgato to capture at 60fps.