How many hours

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bmamba, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Bmamba

Bmamba Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Game dev
    Canada
    In your opinion ,How many hours / minute of gameplay should you get from a 1$ games?

And how many hours of gameplay should you get from a 10$ game?

2. Versago

Versago Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2010
    $1 should be like 5 hours or more.
    $10 should be unlimited replay value.

3. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    spoiled........

1$ should be fun......i dont care how long.......i just want it to be fun

10$ i put 40 hours into GTA CW so i feel like 35-40 is good enough

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Quality is more important than quantity.

A great game is priceless; a bad game is worthless.

5. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    #5 crex, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
    $1 - don't really care. Its just a buck.
    $10 - atleast 10 hours

but this is the better answer:

6. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I dont care how long a game is as long as I feel like it was worth the price, in terms of enjoyment.

I paid a dollar for angry birds and that gave me more playtime than the ten dollars I paid for some other games.

It's all relative, I don't buy every game thinking of how long I'll be able to play it for.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #7 backtothis, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
    Who the hell cares..as long as I'm getting a couple of hours for a 6.99$ and up game it's fine..5 hours is just fine, maybe I'll get lucky and get a lot more. RPGs usually last forever even though they generally vary in cost..each of them take about 15-25 hours to finish.

A one dollar game? I probably won't play it more than an hour unless it's something special or has multiplayer. Quality over quantity always. I'd pay 9.99$ for another game like Dead Space even though it only lasted less than four hours, and I don't plan on replaying it.

I hate how iOS gamers think that they're entitled to long games for 10 dollars. I've bought many, many psp games for 40$-50$ that have lasted about 6-8 hours. Many games on the ps3 follow suit, except they generally cost 60$ each. The complaints about pricing on the iDevice really disgusts me. Reading the reviews on the appstore and even some here on TA is like wacking myself over and over again with a mallet. Actually, the people on the appstore think they're entitled to long games for anything over 0.99$, let's not even mention anything higher.

/end rant

8. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Agreed. +1

9. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Exactly what I was thinking... Quality over quantity people, I'd rather pay for a game that's short but is very fun, rather than a game that is long but not so fun. Though Of course having both is pretty great :)

10. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Completely agree

11. TooTinyMan

TooTinyMan Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Over there --->
    I always look for at least 2-3 hours for every buck that I spend.

12. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    over 9000.

I've been complaining about iDevice gamers and their delusional sense of self-entitlement since the Appstore's infancy. This is nothing new.

13. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    #13 K?!, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
    That's not enough. I deserve just that much in a campaign, along with co-op, 16 player bluetooth, local wifi and online multiplayer, and infinite updates for life. Graphics should be Epic Citadel quality and the controls should perfectly fit an iOS device. And can I take the devs' soul as well?

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Soul*

But besides that, that's just about right.

15. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    its kinda like your english teacher would say/says when assigning a really awful paper... as long as it needs to be

16. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Well said! First i dont do those €99. Anyway, It took me 10 hours to finish DS ( unlocking everything). To this day, I am still playing it. I have yet to finish games such as Aralon that promise 30+ hours of gameplay. It was just boring and uninspiring.

17. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    As several brilliant fellows have already noted, you can't measure game value in terms of hours of play. On the PS3, the game I've put the most time into is Pixeljunk Monsters. I bought it and the expansion for I think $20 and probably put 200 hrs all tolled into it. I Bought Split Second for $60 when it came out and played it for about 4 hours in total I'd guess. I bought Demon's Souls for $60 and played about 20 minutes before screaming "F**K this S**T!" and taking it back to trade.

On the IOS, I bet I've put 30 hrs into Fruit Ninja. I bought Lego HP and haven't played more than 10 minutes. For a 99 cent game, if I get 30 minutes of enjoyment out of it I'm pretty happy...

18. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    No that is not nearly enough, they should be paying us to play there games and really only 16 on bluetooth, your expectations are so low, at least 32, and if that won't work on the iphones small screen then they should gift every player an ipad so that the players can enjoy the game.

But yeah, definitely quality over quantity

19. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    #19 kukulcan, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
    $1 - If I get an hour of fun out of it, that's fine
    $10 - I'll wait for a price drop to $1 because I wont find the time to get enough out of it. I have enough $1 or free games to fill all the time I have.