TA Mobile website activated

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by blakespot, Apr 9, 2011.

1. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    We've just activated the mobile version of TouchArcade, created in an effort to reduce load times for those on an iPhone or other mobile device.

We'll be making tweaks over the next day or so, and please share any issues you may experience here at the start.

Thanks.

bp

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Authentication Required box keeps popping up. Wanting me to login to test.toucharcade.com

3. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Try now. Was a banner link I'd not changed. (Make sure you're not reloading the test site, so you get the change I just made...)

bp

4. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    #4 Zincous, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    Still pops up everytime I refresh the page.

I was never loading the test site. I am just typing "toucharcade.com" into the address bar.

Here is a screenshot, you can see the address bar in the background is just "toucharcade.com"

[​IMG]

5. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

It's letting me on fine on an iPad, but there's no mobile version, just the regular site. Is it supposed to auto detect that you're on a mobile or is there an m.toucharcade.com type address you have to use?

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It auto-detects on my iPod Touch. I'm getting the same thing as Zincous, and also the "Skip to Responses" and "Back to Top" links aren't doing anything at all.

Edit: Also the Tweet button is halfway off the screen, regardless of device orientation.

7. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    iPad gets a reduced size backdrop image (as it has for the past months) but not the mobile version. Which is as we've intended it.

bp

8. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
  9. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Apart from the issue already mentioned with the popup, I would like to point out that the banner at the top is terrible. The app icons interfere with the text for Forums etc and making them pretty much unreadable.

10. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    See same issues as others. Agree that the top's red letters make it difficult to see that there are links. And the red "Load More Entries" and theme choices on the bottom of the screen looks like they are shadow font, making it also harder to read. Otherwise, looking forward to the mobile version!

11. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    ?? Screenshot? Thanks.

bp

12. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

I have to agree that the background image is shocking and just looks like a reduced version of the normal one but not very well done.
    Also I kinda wish the posts were the same as macrumors rather than condensed requiring you to click on the link to read each post.

13. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree with him:

[​IMG]

Hard to see/read the "about", "forums", "new games", etc.. buttons overlapping the banners.

14. hdgreen

apologies the links and the background image problem has now corrected itself. Still the issue with the posts though.

15. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    I for one think we should just get rid of this mobile version. Wasn't the whole point of Internet on the iPhone to use regular webpages easily instead of crappy mobile sites?

The regular page is easier to read and navigate. Let's keep it that way.

16. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Scroll to the bottom and click "Switch to regular theme" :)

17. hdgreen

Is there going to be a mobile forum as well?

18. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

They're just giving us more options, which is a lot more than many other sites do. It looks like it could use a lot of tweaking, but it's a definite step in the right direction.

19. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Why did it take so long? :confused: Isn't it just the WPTouch plugin, but with a small difference?

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yes. Shame it doesn't really work. I find this mobile version far easier. Apple are all about adapting the OS to perfectly suit the device, yet for some reason they try to wrap the device around websites that aren't intended for it? Contradiction?

As far as ease of use goes, the mobile site looks and feels far more like it was designed for the iPhone.