ACRONYM! (Acrophobia inspired game)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by rgeade, May 5, 2011.

1. rgeade

rgeade Member

May 8, 2009
    iOS Developer
    Charlotte, NC
    A.C.R.O.N.Y.M: A Creative Round of Naming Your Meaning

I am excited to announce an upcoming title that I have been working on for the last two and a half years off-and-on, ACRONYM!. If you have ever played the game Acrophobia, you likely will understand how the gameplay works.

I intend to post a video this weekend to show some of the gameplay.

ACRONYM! - When you need something to do while waiting for your turn in those "turn-based" word games...

ACRONYM! - A game completely free of birds!

ACRONYM! is an online multiplayer word game where players join a room with up to 9 other players. Players are given a random acronym and compete by creating logical or humorous meanings. After time expires, each player votes anonymously for their favorite meaning (but not their own).

For example, the game might give you the acronym "TGR" to which you could submit, "This Game Rocks", or for "ILA" you could submit "I Love ACRONYM". The possibilities are endless, and only your creativity will win over the votes of the other players in the room. Do you have the vocabulary and quick wit to succeed? Download ACRONYM and put your humorous use of the english language to the test!

Features:
    -Play instantly against players over the internet
    -Play as little or long as you want; points tally over time
    -Quick play matches you up with players automatically
    -Real time game play; no waiting for turns
    -Retina display graphics
    -Game Center integration (Achievements and Leaderboards)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. deranged

deranged Active Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Looks good, really like the smooth graphics. Any idea on when should be submitted to the appstore, b/c this is an old school game I would definitely buy!!

3. rgeade

rgeade Member

May 8, 2009
    iOS Developer
    Charlotte, NC
    It's already submitted and pending approval from Apple now. Drawing from my experience with my previous apps, I'm going to guess in a week or so I will know if it gets approved.

4. Galois

Galois Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Really looking forward to this; I used to play Acrophobia all the time.

5. rgeade

rgeade Member

May 8, 2009
    iOS Developer
    Charlotte, NC
    YouTube Video Demo of ACRONYM!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGlcmf7BoEk

I apologize for the horribly uncreative acronyms in the video, it's hard to play from 4 different devices at once! Nevertheless, it shows how the gameplay flows and how the game will skip forward once all players in a room have submitted or voted (in the video all 4 players vote before time runs out and it immediately skips to the round summary).

If the planets align, and the app gets approved soon, this should be in the app store early next week.

6. andrewcook1234

andrewcook1234 New Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Acrophobia game

A Site That Offers Hundreds Of Free Flash Games

Acrophobia game

7. rhubs

rhubs New Member

Jul 9, 2012
    I purchased this app this weekend and was a bit disappointed - no one was playing??? so that took away from the experience obviously. The game also lacked the "subject" element that the online Acrophobia game has that gives each of the rounds context and helps really add to the competition. Any plans for upgrading it to have that feature? and how about being able to see the various "rooms" (it seems to claim that you're being placed into a "room") like the online game so you can select one with existing players vs. being stuck somewhere alone? or maybe there is just no one playing the game??? would be nice to know before you start if you're playing alone!

8. yodl

yodl New Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Try Acrowars - Online Acrophobia

Give Acrowars a try, it's the online Acronym Game that is now back and better.