Universal Pilot's Path - (by Happymagenta)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Cool! thanks. I think I'll pick this one up then.

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Suggestion for future updates: add an endless mode with random missions. I have just finished my first play through and began a second game in the jungle. Even though the maps are random, the missions aren't random. For this mode you could add a "coin objective" such as "achieve 100,000 coins". Anyway, just a suggestion.

Also, purchasing the "gifts" only works once. I haven't found a way of getting them to work in a new game because the girl already begins wearing all the gifts. If you click on the restore button it doesn't do anything.

Even with this, the game is just great. I hope you add more environments in the near future (South Pole for example?).

3. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#43 Habakuk, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    Played it for three hours now and enjoyed it (without any IAPs). In the desert now with a larger helicopter. iPad 3 controlled by iPhone 5 works pretty well. Different sounds on the devices. A polished time waster.

@ dev: How long will the sale last? I would like to recommend Pilot's Path in the "Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals" forum (and other places) but the visitors would kill me when the sale is over in 30 min.

4. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Seems like it doesn't work by design now, yet another bug to fix in the upcoming update. During tests it worked though. Not it seems not to reset the update counter with a new game. Tried to reset the game and all settings myself to check if a temporary workaround is possible. But no, to our shame, we have to fix this bug - a thousand apologizes :(

The game will stay on sale till at least Oct 11th - other apps like Spyglass will return to normal probably this Tuesday.

5. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Don't worry :) I think the bug might have to do with how IAP work. Maybe you could set the game to check in each new game how many IAP were bought and put a button in the same style as the oil can, repair and autopilot buttons. Therefore, if you bought 6 gifts, you get a "x6 gift" button at the beginning of the game. That way you don't need a "reset counter", just a "check if bought" in each new game.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    A minor thought occured to me last night. There's quite a lot of ocean, so it'd be nice if we were able to upgrade our helicopter with some kind of hook and winch that would let us pull floating objects out of the sea. Something to keep those long flights interesting :)

7. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    An update on gifts thing - there is a workaround available.

When you start a new game and the girl is already wearing all the stuff, you may pause the game, then go into the settings from the pause menu and reset all the settings. BE CAREFUL THOUGH - as reset will erase all saved games. When you return to the game from the pause menu, then the girl will appear without anything.

It turns out that restoring doesn't work as expected, yet, as all gifts are one time purchase, you may purshase them one by one again - you won't be charged again - the message will popup that tells that the purchase is free as it was already purchased.

This way you will get 6 upgrades.

Meanwhile we will be fixing the normal way with the restoring.

I see, we won't be able to add this to the bugfix update. But it definitely will come with the new location. In about 1-2 months we will need beta testers that would like to get early access and participate in testing the new location update - so, stay tuned :)

8. c.ihls

c.ihls Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hey but what about some seagulls or other birds? I've already seen some sharks, so why not add a few more animals in the future to make a perfect game even more gorgeous?

9. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Yes, that would be nice. You can also make the world round to avoid taking the heli out of bounds in the map. I flew west with the heli stats maxed out and 9 cans of fuel. It was a death trip for sure, but I wanted to see "the end of the world". Just before running out of fuel, and after having used my 9 fuel cans, I entered the map. The heli was far beyond the map limit :D btw, there's only water, in case you're curious. No special island nor anything similar :p

10. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Definitely, there will be more nice things, but, sadly, only users with the modern devices will be able to experince it. Memory, texture and performance limits. Even what is in it now isn't available on all devices.

We wanted crows, seagulls and dirigibles (to interact with) in this version, yet had to postpone it for future updates.

As a stub for fluing objects there are invisible ones now. You may noticed it already. If you fly under some bridges or power lines you get a bonus for it.

Oh, man, you are going in the right direction :)

Don't really want to write about it even under spoiler tag. As we keep this thing for an upcoming contest between players. Islands are randomly placed over the map. So, it will be really really hard to find. If you do, save your game and keep it - or make a photo of your device screen, not a screenshot ;)

11. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Ahhhh, so there's light at the end of the tunnel. I will search for it! :D

12. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanks. Recommended!

New Thread in the sales forum.

13. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I want to like this game. Exploring the islands are fun, but I feel too much time is spent wandering the ocean hoping to stumble across the quest item. That part isn't fun.

Improving the look of the ocean (the texture is very repetitive) and adding more variety there would go a long way towards improving the game.

Also I felt maxing out the upgrades happens too quickly. I want to greatly improve the speed, cargo and fuel as that would allow me to zip through the dull parts, but I can't. :(

14. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Did you use the autopilot travelling between islands? :)

15. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I used the autopilot some but for me the issue is more with exploring the unknown territory searching for the quest item. Some quests required me to spend 15 minutes staring at little more than the repetitive ocean texture.

I really enjoyed the first half hour of the game where there are many islands. But once you get a ways out it gets rather dull.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I never actively searched for quest items, I merely explored the world collecting other items until I discovered something I needed. I can imagine hunting solely for the things you need being a little less fun.

17. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Thanks =)

We will be defininitely add more interesting stuff after the upcoming bugfix update. We received much of different interesting suggestions. About what it is now - we were focusing on the tech, so, you are right, there is a place for an improvement. Many things are like this because of the tight resource limits, that on older devices are used up to the maximum. New things, as we add them will appear in the current locations too - yet, not all older devices will be able to render them.

It's like a fast levelling just to see what's coming next - like you play SWTOR doing main quests only avoiding any side quests.

18. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I just finished the second world and enjoyed it more than the first. I think I had terrible luck finding the quest items in the first world.

19. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    =) That's because of the game map randomization.

Basically, the best quick run strategy would be in exploiting a game feature. That's what we used to test it. When the helicopter crashed it's restored with full fuel tank and fully repaired. So, to make a quick run upgrade speed and fuel capacity. Then exploit the crash-repair to open the game map - then, as soon, as you get a new quest, the quest item will be visible on the map already, as it is open.

20. Kinto

Kinto Member

Apr 22, 2010
    If you can add even some combat with all the contents already there, it would be the perfect "Frontier" in the jungle :)
    Or even a new game or a switchable option in Pilot's Path (so people who prefer playing at their pace will not switch on the "combat option")