WWDC 2013 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by crex, Jun 9, 2013.

1. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    #1 crex, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2013
  2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Well, the forecast on Apple hardware seems quite barren... so I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing any new iPhones or iPads (unless they are repackagings with new colors or something.

iOS 7 is the talk of the town, though, and I'm sure they'll announce something about it... but I'm also expecting them to hold back a lot on it. Give us a few basic ideas of what we -can- expect, then announce the date of the full unveil, which I'm sure will also be the unveiling of the next iPhone/iPad/Both :)

Since I haven't updated to iOS 6 yet, I am expecting whatever happens in iOS 7 to be a joyous occasion on my end. But again, I don't want to update until they add in a native YouTube app. I can maybe do without the native YouTube app on my iPhone now, but my iPad... it can't happen. I really like the YouTube app on there, even if it is quite limited considering the many updates and improvements the main site has had since my iPad 2 came out :p

But I prefer the interface on it, I like the simplicity, and the only time I use playlists is when I'm sleeping and need something on in the background... and I have an app for that already.

The biggest thing, though, is that the YouTube app on my iPad doesn't have advertisements. I feel quite lucky about that... I'm now used to watching any and all YouTube videos that matter to me, without advertisements. I hope that doesn't change. But honestly I think that's the biggest reason why I won't update.

3. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I use Jasmine on the ipad as it has no advertisements. Sleek UI too

4. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I'm pumped to see the redesign of ios. The idea of having a cohesive aesthetic plan for the hardware and software is potentially awesome

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If they go all "Metro" they can expect to find their skin burning away in the near future, courtesy of me.

6. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    im hoping for iOS 7, iPhone 5S, iPad mini 2, and the iPad 5.

7. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    iOS 7 should have a thing that deletes apps if you don't use them for an amount of time

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Surprise appearance by Macklemore.

9. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Eesh... I don't know about that. Maybe a menu you can go to that lists the apps you don't use that take up the most space?

10. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Looking forward to the redesign. Good riddance to skeuomorphism.

I might use the new iRadio, but only if there is a no-ads option. Hopefully they will just fold that into the iTunes Match subscription that I already pay for. Otherwise I may just stick with Pandora One.

And hopefully they will fix Home Sharing... didn't even realize it was broken though until this latest round of blu-ray ripping... :rolleyes:

One minor feature that I'd like to see that I'm sure would make people around here happy would be to increase the max compressed app size from 2GB to 4GB. Would allow for larger ports like GTA: San Andreas and Morrowind/Oblivion.

11. I've used Jasmine ever since Apple got rid of the native Youtube app. It's great.

Usual new iOS wishlist applies:
    - Ability to hide apps I don't use
    - Screen recording feature
    - More customization options or a new look (seems like the latter is happening)

12. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Last one has already been done.
    Gangstar Vegas = 2.6 GB

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #13 MidianGTX, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    You die.

At least I can tell what's freakin' tappable on iOS. If they suddenly turn it into Windows 8 we'll all be frantically swiping icons that do absolutely nothing, only we have no idea because they don't look like actual buttons any more, just random vague symbols.

I mean... a flat UI can work, but MS clearly only went with it because it's the latest design fad, and that's a terrible, terrible reason. Which explains why Win8 implements it so badly. If Apple are going to do it, they need a different reason, like... oh I dunno, productivity and user-friendliness.

14. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I know Apple is usually software focused at these events but with E3 running at the same time it might be the perfect opportunity to unveil their gaming controller.

Also Apple TV dev support would be great.

I'm sure the fact that the Microsoft conference at E3 being on at the same time as WWDC13 wont be lost on Apple.

Apart from the ios 7 overhaul, it's actually a pretty exciting conference today as we dont really know what to expect.
    :D

15. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I wouldn't care about their gaming controller, but an iPad Mini or iPod Touch with built in controls I'd be alllllll over.

Not that that will happen at this event or any event for that matter.

Just my crazy hopes.

16. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    You crayzay

17. Walk into the club like "What up, Check out these new clocks"
    I'm so pumped about some apps I got from the brand new App Store
    Ice on the water, according to the weather app
    People see it, they like "Damn, that's a cold ass app bro"

Yes, I just made that up...and yes, I've already tied the noose