iPhone Multispace - A New Take on the Cave-Multiplayer-Shooter Genre - March 2013

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ttursas, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ttursas

ttursas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    #1 ttursas, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
    Hi!

Here are a couple of screenshots and YouTube videos of a beta build (so not final quality) of our upcoming dogfight-multiplayer-space shooter game "Multispace". The basic mechanics are much like in good old Gravity Force 2, XPilot, Turboraketti II, Assault Wing, but we've put more emphasis on physics engine integration and usage. Multispace also has one special feature that will make the game unique inside its genre, but we'll announce that when the game goes live. :)

Anyway, here's the main feature list:

* Destructible terrain
    * Free to play!
    * Realistic physics with PhysX
    * 2-4 player local multiplayer on the same device (split screen)
    * 2-8 player LAN / Internet play with match making, cross platform
    * Built-in level editor - play with your buddies the levels you’ve made!
    * Random level generator - never twice the same cave

I'll post more videos and pictures here later with footage of some of the features and weapons not seen in these shots. Anyway, the game should be ready in about two weeks, hopefully, and out in March 2013.

Cheers,
    Ville / Kanki Bros

http://www.kankibros.com

Attached Files:

2. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    #2 ttursas, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    Settings screen...

Here are three screenshots from the settings screen. One should be able to play this game even on iPad 1 / iPhone 3GS by setting GFX to LOW/LOWEST, and disabling background stars. Don't expect to be able to play against seven other pilots on those machines, though, but a 2-3 player match should be still playable. I also have a bunch of optimizations that I can add to LOW/LOWEST settings, but I'm not sure if I can do them to the first release. If not, then they'll come later in the updates...

A note to the tech freaks: All terrain is rendered using bumped specular shaders when GFX is set to HIGH/BEST. On MEDIUM and below the game reverts to diffuse...

Attached Files:

3. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Two more screenshots

Here are two more screenshots showing the two player local match mode on my iPad 2 - BEST GFX quality setting, and framerate is pretty nice. Sorry that the 2nd player is a bit static, I was "playing" against myself - 01:08am here, no second players around. :) Also note that these screenshots are also from a beta build - not final quality.

Attached Files:

4. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Three more screenshots about me exploring a cave level

Falling rocks can also cover the bases in addition to inflicting hit damage. And in this level some paths are blocked by sand, but fortunately you can dig through the sand walls...

Attached Files:

5. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Status update

Here are two new screenshots of me flying solo in game's new levels. We've been play testing, tweaking and adding new content and features for the past couple of weeks, and if everything goes well, we will submit the game to App Store at the end of this week.

Multispace will come out first on iOS. :) And right after the game launches we'll host a nice contest here.

Attached Files:

6. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    ... and the game's been submitted to App Store!

Yay, I say! Let the waiting being... :)

Anyway, the two secret features I've... kept secret, are:

* Built-in level editor - play with your buddies the levels you’ve made!
    * Random level generator - never twice the same cave

Currently the generator is a bit simple, but give me some time and I'll make it better in future updates. And when the game hits the App Store we'll have a level creation contest here @ TA forums.

Attached Files:

7. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Match making...

Just to let you guys know in advance, the game uses a match-making server that we are hosting on a VPS, and it'll be open for everybody. But if you want to host a match making server of your own that's just for you and your friends, it'll be pretty easy as the game is built using Unity, and we use Unity's free Master Server and NAT Facilitators with default settings. Just have those two running on the computer of your choice, and connect to it.

I compiled the servers on my Windows 7, and here are the exes (at the bottom):

http://www.kankibros.com/game-multispace.html

If there is demand, I'll compile and share OSX executables as well.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I am gonna play this game so hard. I'm glad you guys didn't abandon iOS completely :)

9. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Haha, thanks! :) I'm now using Unity for some new projects, so iOS support comes without much trouble. I only had to write all the shaders the game uses myself, because on iOS Unity's default shaders makes everything too bright.

I hope you'll like the game, and if you don't or would like to see some new features there, just let me know. :)

10. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Up-to-date in-game gameplay video

Here's a brand new in-game gameplay video of Multispace, we recorded it earlier today (I also updated the first post in this thread to contain this instead of those two videos based on a one month old build)

11. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    More info

Also, fear not, when you are landed on a base, you can adjust the zoom level, and zoom quite close to the ship, if that's what you want. :) In the video and many screenshots camera is quite far away from the ship... The pic shows you the current max zoom level, which is actually too close to the ship to be playable... :)

Attached Files:

12. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    And the game went live!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/multispace/id610348345?ls=1&mt=8

Yahoo! We'll submit an update later today with plenty of fixes, with some listed below:

* Added V-Sync to settings
    * Added Vertical Split to 2 Player Local Match
    * Added a new physics object to editor (and Alien World 1): mine
    * Added Generate button to level editor - it opens level generator settings window, and can be used to generate a new level inside the editor, as a starting point
    * Added level generator settings window to Host-A-Game screen
    * Added chat window to results screen
    * Improved waiting screen
    * ... and a bunch of bug fixes here and there