Announcing a game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by howtocode, May 23, 2009.

1. howtocode

howtocode Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Hi,

when the developers should announce there game? 1 month before release? 3 months before release? What do you think?

2. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I just got done submitting my next game, but I haven't announced it yet ;) It is up to the developer. I personally like to wait until it is (or almost) out, because if it gets rejected or if I have trouble with the code signing junk, I don't want people to lose patience.

Just my feelings, but it varies by dev.

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah and some devs don't want to announce it too early because maybe someone steals your idea and codes something similar (better or not) faster and releases it before you do.

Or someone could steal the name.

So I would suggest finishing it, or being close before announcing a game. You can always hold it from the app store/set the release date back to do extra promotional things if need be.

4. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    i think you kinda just did:rolleyes:

5. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    You don't know the name, content, genre, or anything. Ok fine, now that I spilled the beans, I'll let everyone know.

My new game has been submitted!

So I gave it away. Someone is going to steal my idea now:mad:

6. moleki

moleki Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

May 22, 2009
  7. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    I still think its a good thing to start promoting your game a bit in advance. though I am still not sure myself for our upcoming games (we are currently working on 2 different projects on is a XNA/XBLCG and the other is iPhone/iPod touch).

If you look at the traditional game company they often start to talk about their games month in advance if not even years for certain games.

This is a double edge sword, as in some case like some other people mentioned someone could steal your ideas and release it before yours (especially if you have something very original). Also too much hype in advance, can lead to disappoint when its finally release or loose interest if it take too long to get released. But if you do it right you will have tons of customer ready to grab it from the AppStore on launch day, maybe they will even get up in middle of the night to go grab it (if they are in a different time zone). They will talk about your game to their friends and the word will spread around.

Which I think in the case of the AppStore word of mouth is one of your best way to promote your game as the feature thing and other kind of advertising its Apple decided if you are worthy or not and you have no control over this (well i guess EA, GameLoft, Digital Chocolate, etc... must have their say).

This is my little opinion ;-).

Fred

8. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    My professional opinion :) is that you should promote your game early. Not all games will benefit from this. But, the way the App Store is structured there is a lot of value in sales on day 1. You want to build momentum and rise in the app ranks as quickly as possible.

So, I think you want as many people to know about your game when it goes on sale. These are fewer people to convince.

Now, not all games that benefit from this. If you're making a Match 3 -- well, you're not going to get pre-launch hype. If you are making a really interesting/innovative game, then you may get some interest/traction. A game like Flight Control for example couldn't have built much hype, I don't think.

arn

9. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I could learn a thing or two from you :p

10. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA

I am not sure if you are joking or not. Thank you though ;)

11. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  12. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
  13. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    #13 WellSpentYouth, May 24, 2009
    Last edited: May 24, 2009
    I just announced my game (after being submitted to Apple) over here.