Joe danger by Hello Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by killercow, Apr 6, 2012.

1. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Colourful indie stunt racer Joe Danger is coming to iOS and Android, developer Hello Games has announced.

Speaking in an interview with Gamasutra, studio boss Sean Murray explained that it's a "new game" built "from the ground up" and won't just be a slapdash virtual D-pad port.

"I think games that people love on the iPhone have something in common - their controls are made for the device," he explained.

"Swiping in Temple Run, slashing fruit in Fruit Ninja or pulling back a catapult in Angry Birds are controls that are best on a touchscreen. I hate the virtual D-pad, it never feels right to me. It feels like something that only exists to make porting games easier.

"Joe Danger is a game with a lot of depth to the controls. We want to make very much an arcade game on your mobile. You swipe the screen to make Joe wheelie, you nudge him in the air to affect his gravity, you can flick a barrier out of the way, or wrestle with the shark in the shark tank. You have such control that levels that would be impossible on console are much easier on the touchscreen."

There's no word on a release date, but an early build is playable at the PAX East event in Boston this weekend.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-06-joe-danger-heading-to-ios-android

2. DexT79

DexT79 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Looks like a great game, can't wait :)

3. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Even with all the quality stunt racers on iOS, a really top-notch conversion of this game with the promise of luxurious polish and intuitive touch controls would be a fantastic get. Definitely looking forward to hearing more about this title as it moves through production and closer to release. :)

4. trialbyfun

trialbyfun Member

Mar 22, 2011
    UK
    Hellooooo,and thanks for the kind comments!

I'm one of the guys ( Steven Burgess ) working on the brand new Joe Danger for magical touch devices. I'm genuinly really really excited to be part of the project, hopefully that excitement and passion to make a really great game ( regardless of platform ) is starting to shine through.

It's super early days at the moment ( and our first iPhone game! ), as you can imagine it was really nerve wracking showing off the game for the first time publically at pax east, and letting gamers and non gamers alike have a play. A real trial by fire! We genuinly had no idea how it would be received!

We have nothing official yet, but for those who were interested in more, there is a couple of videos from the pax east of bits of the playable demo I gave.

http://www.platformnation.com/2012/04/09/pax-east-2012-joe-danger-mobile-demo-video/

We'll probably be holding a beta at some point in the future, but no date is set in stone on that yet.

Im looking forward to showing and telling people more about the game in the future, but in the meantime if you have any questions feel free to ask away :)

5. trialbyfun

trialbyfun Member

Mar 22, 2011
    UK
    #5 trialbyfun, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
    Hello again!,
    Soooooo, i'm working on Gamecentery / online type features at the moment for Joe Danger, and i've been wondering about some things to do with how people play on their devices that you might be able to help me with....

If this is the wrong place to ask this, then please point me in the right direction and i'll repost. I don't want to hijack!

My questions ( if you have time )
    1) How many people have more than one person who play's on their single iDevice?
    2) Do you each log in and out of Gamecenter and play under your own user names, or just stay logged in as a single user?
    3) Do you expect a different save game per login ( Not many games seem to do this ) or the same one shared across users ( Most games i've played seem to do this ), or does it not really bother you?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate any musings you can offer :)

6. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

7. GloBaller

GloBaller Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Illinois
    I'm certain that people stay logged in all the time for GameCenter. I only have one device and for the 3rd question it doesn't really bother me

8. GloBaller

GloBaller Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Illinois
    Btw what kind of GameCenter stuf you working on? Multiplayer?