Samurai II: Vengeance mini guide! v1.0

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chickdigger802, Oct 23, 2010.

1. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    #1 chickdigger802, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
    Alrighty! Here is my mini guide for ya kids =P

Change log 1.1:
    - Forgot a unit =P
    - Minor changes here and there.

Because this game is mostly combat I'll explain each enemy unit and how to fight them. Sure there are might be other ways, but this is how I fought them.

PS: not too sure what the unit's names are, so I'll give them my own =)

Greg the Grunt: The very first enemy you encounter. They have a fairly slow swing, so you can walk around that or roll around and use any combo to take them on. They make a grunt noise before they attack. OOO combo is all it takes to kill one.

Jorge the recolored Grunt Same as above but with slightly higher health. He's blue, Greg is red.

Helmet Steve: The dudes in the samurai armor. They have a faster swing than Greg, but just like Bob they let out a fairly loud audio cue, so roll away when they swing and counter with a combo. Be wary that they occasionally go to a defensive stance. There is no point in attacking them in this position besides losing points, so just wait a sec than rail on them with a combo.

Dual Blade Bill: The dudes with 2 blades. These are a tad tricky because they have 2 attack moves. There first move is a 2-3 swing combo. When they do that, roll or walk away, then rail on them with your combos. There second move is a top like spin move. This has a fairly long startup so it's easy to see. When they are in top-mode, don't bother attacking, because you can't hurt them.
    Protip: Try not to fight more than one of these at once. They have a tendency to hit you with their moves if you try to combo more than 1 at a time. Kinda hard to explain, but you'll understand when you get to the later stages.

Archie the Archer: The dude with the bow. Probably the most annoying enemy and the one that will kill you the most. The easiest way to evade their attack is to move in a zig zag pattern, or better yet roll spam towards them and combo.
    Pro tip: When you get the last combo it one hits archer's (O X O).
    Pro tip #2 when you are fighting in arena style areas, always go for archers first because while other enemies you can see them getting ready to attack, archers can fire at you off screen and can hit you while you are comboing away at other dudes.
    Pro tip #3 When you play long enough you instinctively roll when you hear the sound of Archie firing.

Bob the Bodybuilder: The biggest enemy type, yet also one of the easiest. He only has 2 moves that are really easy to avoid. His first is a simple swing that is slow and easily avoidable. Just roll or walk away and go back and combo him. His second move is his "Sonic spin dash" move. This is also easily avoidable because he raises his arms in the air for a few secs (he's invincible during this process), then starts spinning for a few secs than rolls at you. All you simply have to do is roll away from his move. Simple as pie. Then combo some more.
    Pro tip: Sometimes Bob will be off screen, but you can still easily tell when he's about to 'spin dash' at ya. That spinning sound is ridiculously funny and super obvious to hear. When you hear it, just start rolling around and you would most likely evade the move even if he's off screen.

I'll leave the final boss to you, but I'll give ya some hints. Hit him from behind and roll =)

As you can see, this game, like the first, is much easier to manage with sound on. Do that and all your frowns will be turned upside down =)

2. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks for the tips. I still suck eggs, though. I didn't know about the audible cues serving as tells. I'm sure this will help me out in the long run. I hope the mini will become a maxi-guide as more is revealed to you.

3. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    lol. I've only beat it on normal. Will try Hard when I got time. Maybe I'll find some new info and stuff =)

4. ColeDaddy

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Yo CD,

Any updates, man? I'm can't seem to get out of this one area (can't remember which episode), but there are just waves of people coming at me and with my limited health, and those dang archers continuing to reappear alongside the spinning dudes in yellow, it is making for a tough go.

Anyway, I'm reviewing your notes, to see what I can refine in my fighting style.

5. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    I would suggest to keep rolling like hell to dodge the arrows, and pick off the archers first, as they are easy to kill but a great threat. This will clear the screen and make it easier to get in order and finish the spinning dudes.

6. ColeDaddy

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #6 ColeDaddy, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks, man. I finally cleared that stage and am now on the 7th Episode. How many more episodes are left?

Edit: I'm up against the Big Boss. Any tips? Currently I dispatch of those pesky archers first. Then, I try to attack the back of the BB. The metallic clash of his armor against my sword doesn't build the greatest confidence in me that I'm approaching this correctly. Could someone please advise if I'm on the right track or present a different tactic?

Edit 2: I just saw CD's recommendation to hit in the back and roll.