Gameloft's answer to the recent backlash against freemium's titles.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by killercow, Jan 23, 2012.

1. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#1 killercow, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/Gameloft+news/news.asp?c=37152

"We experienced quite some backlash on this one for a few reasons. The first was because of the freemium model, where Dungeon Hunter 1 and 2 fans were expecting something premium.

The second was because of the gameplay and storyline. To match the freemium business model, we tweaked the gameplay and removed the storyline / exploration phase."

"we don't believe freemium will overtake everything."

"Those two elements - the quality of the device and the competition of the freemium games - mean that we need to focus on key segments on the paymium side to ensure that we can balance our investment."

They seem really honest and they answer quite a lot of hard questions.

2. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I don't like all these words they keep inventing. Paymium?!

Still, I'm glad they aren't 100% determined to make 'freemium' work for them. They can go back to making their usual games.

3. Ace43

Ace43 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I don't mind it. It seems like they truly get where the premium gamers are coming from,as far as the backlash is concerned. As long as they still make the paymium NOVA and modern combats,I'll stay a Gameloft fan. Also Order and Chaos was a great game when I had time to play.

4. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Interesting article, although he kind of contradicts himself.

I'm disappointed Gameloft doesn't plan on making any more premium games as they used to. But at least they are continuing to make "paymium" games (or so they say).

5. killercow

I think he is seeing modern combat 3 as a paymium game. It's got both iap and a premium price tag.

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

That's what I think too. And it works! They didn't ruin the balancing too much in MC3 because you still have to unlock stuff by leveling up. The only problem was the killstreak cheaters...

Paymium is fine as long as it doesen't make a game unbalanced.

7. FlyBoyZombi

FlyBoyZombi Active Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Cook
    Canada
    Gameloft makes some of the best iPhone games out there, But I am with most people I do not like the free-to-play games they are doing.

8. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Gameloft need to improve the quality of their releases. Of all the gameloft's gmes that i've played only modern combat 3 strikes me as an AAA ios title .

9. killercow

Yeah exactly! Let's hope their first UE title will be of that quality : )

10. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I really don't care what engine they use. With Modern Combat 3 they have prooven that their own engine can do some pretty impressive stuff. (And unlike most Unreal Engine games MC3 doesn't take two minutes to start)

11. killercow

I was just referring to the UE title because i think that's the next premium gameloft title on the way. I don't really care about the engine they use either and with a new engine comes new problems, but we'll see how they fare ; )

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    The way I see it is IAP is crap and annoying - things like farmville where you NEED to pay to advance.

vs

DLC which is good - not necessary, but if you completed the extensive game, you can download extra levels. Or more complex weapons/better vehicles.

I'd be happy if Gameloft included DLC, but not IAP!

13. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Urban Crime is an urban crime. There is no justification for that. Well, actually. Urban Crime is a white collar crime. But still. Just because they have shown that they understand the model itself, that does not excuse their blatant manipulation of an exploitative system

14. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Cool article and response from GL, thanks for posting. I seem to remember a ton of overreacting and people saying they will never make a paid title again. Haha..

15. Adeeb246

Adeeb246 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Canada
    #15 Adeeb246, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
    K man, ease up there. They're not forcing you to buy anything, it's your choice whether to buy via in app or not.
    Also, what company isn't greedy? You don't think Apple or Microsoft are greedy? Business's are in it to make money! They're not there to satisfy every one of your needs.
    At least Gameloft spoke out and admitted a lot of what they did were testing, and that some of it were mistakes (which is pretty ballsy for a company to do). If you don't want to support them, then don't buy their games. Simple as that. Don't sit there and say stuff like that, cause then you sound like a little child who has a lot of growing up to do.

16. FlyBoyZombi

FlyBoyZombi Active Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Cook
    Canada
    :O Crazy you posted after me and we are both referencing lucio Fulci in our user name in some way.

17. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    #17 Madman100, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    you can watch things like that and laugh, but to say it's ok to talk and act like cartoonish children living in an imaginated world... wow. That's just dumb.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    To be perfectly clear Quazonk: no, you can't just say whatever you want around here. Cool it.

19. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Daddy had to take the belt off for a second! Seriously you guys, watch some TV. I'm not exactly saying anything over-the-top here :rolleyes:

20. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Well, I'm glad that Gameloft gave us some answers. As long as they keep Modern Combat and N.O.V.A. paymium, I'll keep on supporting them (in those areas, anyway). Still, I hope that they have a new N.O.V.A. out soon. Also, thanks for posting the link.