Top games you sneak to play at work?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Booch138, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #1 Booch138, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
    Hey TA,

So if you are like me, and you have a cubicle desk job consisting of you doing data-entry, writing, computer work, etc., and you also happen to be a terrible employee, I ask this of you TA:

What are your favourite games to play when you have a quick second here and there to game a bit? Or if you have downtime and you are supposed to "look like you're working" but you are kind of... well not?

Let me first start off by saying I don't do this all the time lol I am not that bad of an employee. However, I work as a Data-Entry Operator for the central office of the Head Start programs (Pre-School program) here in Central Arizona and during the summer, there is no school a.k.a. not much for me to do around here. So a lot of us get away with certain things. At times I can get away with playing games like Azkend, Defender Chronicles, Flight Control, iFighter, Moonlights, Orions, Puzzle Quest (untill 3.0), that Police Training game, Sentinel, Smiley Puzzle, Star Defence, Touchgrind, and Uniwar. Ones that I can lay flat on my desk, and look down at, and don't require a whole lot of movement while I am also looking at the Compy screen.

So my question is, do you guys do this? And what games have YOU found to be the most fun and easiest to get away with in this sense?

Discuss!

-Booch138

2. Madscotsman

Madscotsman Member

May 12, 2009
    Device Technician
    Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.
    I find it easy to sneak in 9 holes of Let's Golf during some bathroom breaks :)

3. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah Bathroom breaks I play everything else hahahah free reign when pooping.

4. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    peggle is quick and easy

5. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Hmmm peggle and Let's Golf! would make fine additions to my arsenal... Good suggestions fo sho

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'll openly play Daily Sudoku Free or Puzzle Maniak while waiting for meetings, sometimes Flight Control.

During bathroom breaks, but I'm usually playing Isotope. ;)

7. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah before meetings I'll throw in a game of like Galcon or something while I am waiting. Something that is real quick, yet satisfactory to play and won't matter if you have to suddenly stop playing lol

8. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    oh, another one that you may not have heard of is pathways. hardest puzzle game ive ever played but its great in small amounts, just like what were talking about here.

9. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Well, I'm self-employed so, while I seemingly have no-one except myself to be answerable to, the guilt kicks in often. But I have done my fair share of office jobs, with team leaders keeping a beady eye on you. If I had had an iPod Touch then, perhaps I would have chosen something turn-based I guess. Or maybe a TD that can be paused at the 'convenient' moment;)

10. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Pathways does look pretty cool. If you suggest it I'll have to give it a try. I love puzzle games and stuff so yeah, especially challenging ones. I like all kinds of games, but yeah I find that Turn-Based or TD games are usually easy to play at work. Everyone around here is fairly trusting, I don't have quite a nazi-like environment, so i am usually left alone for long periods of time when it isn't so busy. I can hear someone coming down the hall if they needed to talk to me though, so I just sleep my iPod or pause the game and put my hand over it (half the people I work with are older, so they probably don't even know what a iPod touch is, let alone what they can do ;) but my boss, whom is the IT director and his assistant director are cool dudes. My assistant supervisor jailbroke his iPod and is always showing me cool sh!t he can do on it lol

11. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    ...and this is absolutely why apps must respect your phone's physical mute button...I've had a number of apps that will still play sounds even with the phone muted...very bad

I agree on the TD's, any of them that let you save current progress in game and come back to it when you can...especially on an endurance run.

12. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Man if I was self-employed I would be homeless. I would never work lol my wife is a process server so she is self employed too. You payyour own taxes? How's that self employment tax around Aprily 15? rofl

13. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah I have run into a number of those too, including the recently released Warpack Grunts. I hate that they don't respect that mute rule. I usually just have a Headset on anyways, but it's a bluetooth stero headset. So I can listen to sounds and it just looks like I have a headset on, which a few people around here have. That's always handy.

14. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    Oh god, tax forms. They are the bain of my life, and worse of all I do them in German!!! The word 'Steuererklärung' fills me with dread. It's really a pity that app store games are not tax deductible. Maybe there is a way round that. I'm sure I can think of some excuse: 'but officer, games help me to relax in order that I can be all the more work efficient':rolleyes:

15. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

Normally the mute rule is automatic with the sound system in the SDK but unfortunately we caught an interesting 3.0 feature with Warpack: Grunts that only showed up after it was released. Needless to say, it's something I'm sorting for the 1.01.

16. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    hahahahaha yeah no doubt. I hate having to worry about tax form after tax form and then getting hit HARD by the amount you usually owe lol. That would be sick. My wife is counting her iPod on her taxes because she uses the GPS on it for work ;)

She went to a class that helped her out about taxes and what you can count for work and man, you'd be amazed what people have gotten away with counting on their taxes ahhaahah

17. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Sweet, and that's fine and understandable, it happens. Like I said fortunately I usually have a headset on to catch the sounds, but occasionally it has caught be off guard ^.^ and a iPod with volume half-way up in a quiet ass desk area is pretty loud ;)

18. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    Well, I suppose there is one way around this. Get Arn to employ me! How does that sound Arn? Any use for a highly under qualified skivvy? I promise not to get in the way. I could make tea for you and everything?:rolleyes:

19. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    That would be so tight to count apps on your taxes. I wonder if the TA Managers can do that? Like... you think you could really count them? I mean I'm sure they pay their own taxes and I don't know how their's all works but now I am just curious hahaah

20. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Lol my employer was caught playing with his iPhone and the game was monopoly with us and he won :p