Can Creating a Lite version of a game boost sales?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by butterbean21, Dec 14, 2009.

1. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Depending on the genre of course, can creating a lite version boost sales in your games, or has it been proven to hurt sales?

Just wanted to get some feedback on people's experiences with this?

2. Andgut

Andgut Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    canada
    Yes

as long as the game doesnt offer much but enough to make the person want to buy the game

3. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    It really depends on the game and what you offer in the free version. Personally, I don't buy a game unless it has a free version- I think too many people get the controls all wrong on the iPhone.

The only exception I have made is Dragons Lair- I bought immediately, but I've also been trying to beat that damn game for 25+ years. I finally achieved my goal, making it a $4.99 well spent (I think that was the price).

If your game looks average, but has something different, a Free version is a good idea. One example is Charmed. It looks like standard match 3 game, but it reacts to gravity (rotating the device) which really adds to the gameplay. Without a demo, I wouldn't have realized how cool the gravity was. I bought Charmed based on the demo.

4. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    #4 Acidbottle, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    back in ye olden days it was demos and lites that were released first, sometimes quite a while before the full version.

not sure where this trend to release a demo weeks after release has appeared from! sales are usually nailed in the first couple weeks and sometimes without a demo i wont risk taking the plunge.

tried flickkitty lite out a good month or 2 before it hit the store and wanted more of that :D

5. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    I would have left a lot of games rotting in the AppStore if I had had the chance to try the lite version.
    Of course there are games I propably would have bought after trying a lite version.

All in all, if the game is good then the lite version will serve its purpose in boosting sales, while a bad game gets more sale by showing something different than what it is in reality.

Then again customer reviews on sites like TouchArcade are quite often a good pointers on whether you should buy the app or not. Too bad the AppStore users on my area aren't that active in posting reviews so I can't rely on them.

6. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #6 tblrsa, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    As a customer I appreciate a Lite Version, there are many games i´ve bought based on a Lite, also many i haven´t bought because the Light Version didn´t appeal to me.

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    It's been known to do both. help or hurt. All depends on the game.

arn

8. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    It depends on how good the Lite version is. Some Lite versions, such as iDracula and Backbreaker Football, have persuaded me to purchase the full version, while some haven't.