"best of" for a newbie?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Teremei, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Teremei

Teremei Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2011
    I'm not a complete noob, just coming back to the itouch for games after almost 2 years (My ipod touch is 2nd gen).

I just got back and am playing Mega Mall Story, awesome game. You know the app store needs more catagories, and the same game shouldn't appear in 3-4 catagories. Angry birds for example appears in arcade, action, and so many more.

I just thought it would be nice to get a general opinion of what are the best of these genre's in the last year?

Maze Game
    Defend the Castle (flick enemies game)
    Defend the Tower
    Simulation
    Retro looking arcade
    Roguelike RPG
    top down motion game (like Labyrinth where you roll marbles and stuff)

Those are some of my favorite genres.

2. Uberblake

Uberblake Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Unfortunately, I can't answer about those genres. But I do have an opinion on "noob games" and what you should probably get.

At first when I got my iPod I downloaded crappy free noob games. You don't want these. I would look at ones like jet car stunts, enviro-bear 2010, canabalt, edge, sword n sworcery, kometen...just older stuff like that (even though sword n sworcery isn't old). To me, most of the best games are older, so you should probably try these out.

Also, if you like mega mall story you should like game dev story.

3. Teremei

Aug 14, 2011
    Actually I just found out about sword & sworcery and THAT'S what I'm talking about. I'm looking for some of the really good games in the last year I might have missed like Mega Mall Story (which is a really good game). And the only reason I found out about it is because it was released recently.

I was basically asking what did I miss in that last year and a half I was gone. S&S is one of those types of games I'm looking for.

4. Uberblake

Uberblake Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Unfortunatelly, after searching the whole AppStore, i found nothing that could even ccompare to SB S&S. The only
    Other game with the same sort of "sucking in" effect is Phoenix wright (VERY AMAZING!) and I really wish there were more.

The only kairosoft game (the people who made mega mall story) I WOULDN'T reccomend is pocket academy. It gets really repetetive and boring. Game dev story is the best, and mega mall story is the second best. So I would definitely recommend game dev story, and I'm too lazy to look up the release date to make sure you don't all ready know about it. So if you don't already have it...instabuy.

5. Juuicetin

Juuicetin Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    The only Kairosoft game I wouldn't recommend is Hot Springs Story. It is Pocket Academy with less interactivity and only focuses on the spatial management aspect. At least Pocket Academy has more things to do with classes, clubs, etc. I guess it is all just a matter of opinion, but I would recommend trying the lite version before taking a dive anyways.

6. Teremei

Aug 14, 2011
    #6 Teremei, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks. I guess it's up to personal taste but after some searching I see so many games I'd like. I found another laser disc game it's about car chases but I love those types of games so any one of those for .99 is insta buy for me. There there are arcade remakes like Tapper World Tour. And touch version of sim games I like coming up like Theme Park.

And to be honest with you, once I get my new itouch gen 5 (im playing on my old 2nd gen) I'll probably buy and play all of the kaorisoft games. I love those types of games and I feel like I'm finally able to play some of these types of sim games that came out in Japan that I never got to play before. During the tycoon and bullfrog game craze there were some crazy sim games in Japan even things like an aquarium (fish museum) type sim.

7. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Retro looking arcade = MOS Speedrun and Canabalt
    Labyrinth = Labrinth 2

If you're into puzzle games I would take a look at iBlast Moki, Joining Hands and most definately World of Goo!

8. DregsOnLegs

DregsOnLegs Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Secretary
    City
    Not sure if these were released within the last year or not but anyway-

Maze
    Super monkey ball 1&2
    Labyrinth 1&2

Retro
    Frogatto (retro platformer)
    Meganoid
    Robot wants kitty
    Cavourite
    Tiny tower
    Beans quest

Casual or just plain awesome
    CUt the rope experiments
    Save yammi
    World of goo
    Joining hands- one of my favorites
    Juice belts
    Ninja fishing
    Rotate & roll
    Feed me oil
    Jump out
    Iblast moki 1&2
    Dream track nation
    Plants vs zombies - tower defense (the best)
    Bouncy mouse
    Sonic racing

Basically they are all in my double click and scroll through recently opened apps list. All wonderful games..you can't be out of the loop for a fulll year without doing some wallet damage!

9. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Defend The Tower? Do you mean tower defense?? Bloons 4 is my goto game for that. Try the flash game free first

Simulation- Game Dev Story, also retro looking. Made by the same guys as mega mall

Retro Looking- Where to begin? League of Evil if you like platformers at all. Meganoid for a slightly retroer feel gameplay wise, Mos Speedrun if youre into speedruns and achievements or just want more fun platforming.
    Tyrian and Rtype are two excellent ports of retro shoot em ups(Tyrian moreso than Rtype)
    Nex, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D. Retro FPS, try Nex for something fresh

Rogulike- Sword of Fargoal, good fun, simple enough, perty looking.
    SLASHEM, retro, brutally hard, fun, good control, FREE

Hope it helps!