Ads in free apps

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Attollos Technologies, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Attollos Technologies

Attollos Technologies Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    iPhone Development Company
    Hello all,

As a new development company, about to release our first game, I was wondering what the general concensus was on having ads in free games? After the fiasco that followed Angry Birds including adverts, is having them in a free version of the game also a big no?

2. smjjames

smjjames Well-Known Member

May 19, 2011
    Generally they would be a no, but it can depend on their placement and how they are used.

Personally, it's a big turnoff, especially if the ads get right in your face.

3. Attollos Technologies

Jun 20, 2011
    For a small level developer who isn't getting greedy like Rovio, what about just small adverts at the top when they don't get in the way?

Or cos its a free app would you just delete it?

4. smjjames

smjjames Well-Known Member

May 19, 2011
    #4 smjjames, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    It would depend on the placement, but yea if it doesn't get in the way it should be fine. Like maybe if you have it just on the main menu or something.

Some game devs have that popup where you get an offer of something for a free app. That is fine with me as long as it doesnt come up too often.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I hate having ads in a game.

That being said - if you intend it to be a free game with ads, please include a $0.99 IAP to turn them off. I've got no problem with trying an app with ads, and I have no problem with paying to remove ads from an app I like.

Ads on title screen are OK, just stuck them in a place where they don't blow the design (usually centered on the top/bottom edge is best.)

Angry Birds has them on the pause screen, I've also seen them on level loading screens and end-game/score screens. These aren't too bad if they don't stick out too much.

Worst is ads in the gameplay screen, especially if they're close enough to gameplay controls to be hit accidentially. :mad:

6. Attollos Technologies

Jun 20, 2011
    Okay, well maybe we'll advertise our paid version inside a specially made 'express' or 'lite' version.. thanks for replying!

7. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    As a dev (you not me), and assuming you are promoting the full version, I would highly suggest you put ads in somewhere in a semi-obtrusive way. What I mean is that you put it in a way that does not affect gameplay, but is ever so slightly annoying. If people do not like the game, they will probably delete it anyway. If they really like it enough, it will be a push enough for them to get the full or ad-free version. As a consumer, I don't like all ads short of those in the menus that only promote games by the same developer (seems a lot less like ads that way for some reason). If it is the only version, adds in the menu only would probably be your best bet, but still expect backlash for that.

8. Attollos Technologies

Jun 20, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback, the full game itself would be either 59p or just over £1, we haven't decided yet. Also the game is very focused around using the entirety of the screen so it would be pretty churlish to stick some ads right in the middle of where the user will be putting their finger. Okay we may just advertise our own full game on the main menu with the option of an in app purchase..

9. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I know I'm the minority here but, I don't download free apps with ads. Unless it's a freakin' brilliant app.

10. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    No you are probably the majority. Too much stuff is available without ads. But if I want to demo for a free version, or I just want to try what looks like a unique game, I will give it a download. I download apps that have more obtrusive adds knowing I will delete them, and ones that are less obtrusive all depend on if the game is truly that good to stay on my device.

11. Attollos Technologies

Jun 20, 2011
    It will be a freakin' brilliant app ;) but in all seriousness, even ads to the full paid version of the game by the same company?

12. Attollos Technologies

Jun 20, 2011
    Thing is, if we're giving away an app for free, we kind of have to be a little bit bordering on annoying to try and push the full one. Otherwise we could stand to lose hours and hours of work for nothing. I appreicate that users don't want adds and i'll try and think of a way they don't spoil the gameplay but are still visible :)

13. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I don't mind having ads in free games so long as they are not obtrusive. What I dislike though are devs adding ads to a previously ad free version (either paid or free) unless we get notification before hand.

14. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I don't do lites. I don't do apps with ads. If you're pushing a full app I judge it from other sources like videos, member impressions and reviews. If I feel I like what I see I'll go ahead and buy the full. As for IAP to remove ads, since I don't really like IAP, I prefer a standalone full version. The very few games I downloaded with IAP to remove ads without separate full versions, I just play around for a while and promptly deleted them without being tempted to buy the ad removal IAP. I dunno, most of the time I'm just too uninspired to do that extra step, deleting the app is faster. Like I say, unless the app is brilliant.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'll download lite versions of games with ads before buying the full version, but I don't tend to keep free, ad-supported games permanently, unless as you said, they're implemented really well. Angry Birds ads aren't bothering me yet!

IAP to remove ads is fine with me.

I think most App Store users accept that if they're getting something for free, there may be ads involved. It's not really their place to complain in such a situation, but they may not keep the app. The only big no-no is sneaking ads into anything users have spent money on.

16. Attollos Technologies

Jun 20, 2011
    We're not gonna start sneaking ads into the paid version, that would just devalue the whole concept! I think we're probably gonna start of with just a paid standard version and then monetize it with a 'lite' / 'express' version if sales don't go well. Thanks for the reply though I appreciate it.

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    It really depends is the full game free or is it a lite version. With lite version it's very understandable that you add ads for full version. If it's complete freemium ads are probably good to add too, to get some money, or just add IAP to remove ads as Midian said. But yea, if it's just lite version, I don't mind of ads.

18. Attollos Technologies

Jun 20, 2011
    There will be a lite version with x amount of levels, say 15 / 20 to attempt to entice the user to buy the full version. We'll either have ads to our own product or use adservers to monetize it that is causing me a headache!

19. dodolook

dodolook Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I hate ads! just deleted a freebie, it spammed my device!
    but I know it's not always necessary to be so, just have a freebie in my wishlist, I don't think it would be annoyance in line with what dev claimed. but I haven't tried it yet, maybe you can check it out(I'm not advertising:rolleyes:)
    IMHO, nothing is born to be bummer, just depend on the way you make it.

20. KaloFinger

KaloFinger Active Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Dreamland
    I quite agree with this point. I preserve my neutrality towards ads. It's okay for me if it put in a appropriate way.