Best Retro Collections

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by smes3817, Sep 9, 2012.

1. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    So I'm a huge retro geek having grown up in the 80's spending countless hours at the arcades and in front of my Atari and Nintendo systems. One of my favorite reasons for loving iOS gaming is being able to play these gems again, especially with the collection apps.

What other must-have retro collection apps besides the ones below have I somehow missed and should pick up?

Midway Arcade
    Activision Anthology
    Atari's Greatest Hits
    Namco Arcade
    Capcom Arcade
    C64 (meh)

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Spectaculator?

With the unofficial option to add your own games (let's just say they're all homebrew for the sake of prying eyes...) without jailbraking. Makes it the one-stop shop for all my retro gaming on iPad :)

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    TurboGrafx-16 GameBox. Unless that isn't retro enough for you :p

4. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wow I didn't even know this existed, thanks! Is it better than the Elite Collection (which I didn't know was out there either...)

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #5 MidianGTX, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    I personally think the implementation of the controls and such are better on Spectaculator, but it really comes down to which games you want to play. Of course, that only matters if you're not planning on adding your own games manually... if you are, then it's Spectaculator and an almost infinite library all the way :)

There's a thread around here somewhere detailing how to add games to the app. It requires PC/Mac software to drag and drop the files, and a little bit of setting up for the control layout, but no jailbreaking.

Edit: found the post: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1832415&postcount=30

6. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Oooh, another good one! This is exactly why I asked, thanks!

7. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    C564...MEH??? ;)

There are a number of Spectrum collections, though judging by your opinion of the C64 app they probably aren't up your alley.

If you want real old school, there is a Penny Arcade (not the comic, the games played in arcades before pong came out) collection.

There's the Galaga/Galaxian 30th anniversary app, but most of the games are not the original arcade versions.

If you have any interest in Pinball, then you need Pinball Arcade.

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    If you can find a copy of idos and imame, your really set. I had both...on a different account :(

The c64 app was, at some update point, able to load c64 games in a way similar to speculator. Man, you don't know how deep the c64 library is...so many "real" EA games (back when they were "Electonic Artists", Cinamaware, EPYX, Activision...great games like M.U.L.E., the original Bards Tale games, The Standing Stones, Paradroid...an awesome breakdancing game...GeOs! (that's right...a graphical, windowed operating system that ran in 64 kilobytes of memory). BTW, I think GeOs only came with the Commodore 64-C, which I bought after my old beige Commodore 64 died.

I even was on the Internet on my Commodore! The 64-C came with a 200 baud (that's 200 bytes a second) modem and a chat room type program called People Connection, or something along those lines.

9. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    - Aemula
    - Sinclair zx spectrum

10. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    I only say meh because it's pretty bare bones with games available and not being able to add your own. I know the C64 had a TON of games I loved back in the day and would love to play again but the app just is lacking in most every way. Hopefully that changes...

11. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    TA does not allow discussion of hacking, piracy, jail breaking, decoding, etc. Please refrain from these topics.