Carcassonne hints, tips and tricks!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheSeldomSeenKid, Jun 11, 2010.

1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Manchester, England
    Hi peeps :)
    hope you're all excited for the world cup :p

So I purchased Carcassonne, knowing nothing about it, and I love it! The only problem is that after 6 games I've only won one, against an easy opponent :eek:

Does anybody have any hints, tips or tricks to help me or other players? I tried google, but all the stuff was on how to play better in the actual board game (which I'm actually looking at buying!)

Thanks in advance,
    Ell

2. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Well, it plays identically to the actual board game, so I don't really know why those tips wouldn't apply...

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Simply put - just play versus human opponents and watch them closely - and learn. There are no tricks or hints in Carcassonne - just dozens of different strategies... and a bit of luck.
    Challenge me and I'll show you some strategies. :)

4. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    One thing I quickly learned is that you should not neglect to claim open fields with your meeple. It's hard to predict, but that's often where the biggest points are in the end.
    Also, keep an eye on your opponent's strategy and see if you can cause some interference.
    And definitely try to take advantage of scoring opportunities that will get you your meeple back. Keeping meeple on hand throughout the game is key for continued scoring.
    Most of all, just keep playing. You'll learn as you play, and eventually start to develop strategies that work for you.

5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Manchester, England
    Thanks :) I might try some online games soon, just to build my strategy up :)

6. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    I'd definitely recommend playing online with some people to help get hang of the game and build strategies and someone mention above a little part of the game is luck of the draw

7. sorted out

sorted out New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Since every article says this game is easy to learn I guess I'm an idiot :confused: When you're playing against someone (I've only played the computer), why do seemingly random spaces stay closed while others open up? I'll put my meeple on an open road and then for some reason won't be able to play a card on the next space. I know the "X" means there's no other possible cards, but this is just a "closed" space.

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm not sure I follow you but if not even as an option to place the piece there it is because the game has determined, for some reason, your current piece can't go there. When you, near the end of the game, see those "X" that means not just that the current piece won't go there, but that there are no longer existing pieces in the draw pile that will ever fit this space this game.