Levitar - Vector download numbers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Lesbird, May 9, 2014.

1. Lesbird

Lesbird Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    #1 Lesbird, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Levitar - Vector is a FREE game on the iOS App Store. Version 1.0 was released on Thursday May 8th, 2014.

With this game I wanted to try something different for the initial release. (1) I wanted to make it FREE out of the gate and (2) I wanted to release it on the "big" release day which is usually Thursday - I scheduled it in iTunes Connect to release at midnight on May 8th so it actually went live on Wednesday night, May 7th, at around 11pm EST.

I'm going to try to update the download numbers here when I remember to do so.

First full day (May 8th) download numbers were exactly 200 with China leading the pack with 109 and US in 2nd with 45 and the rest spread thinly in the remaining worldwide stores.

Day 1 May 8th download numbers: 200
    Day 2 May 9th download numbers: 43
    Day 3 May 10th download numbers: 41
    Day 4 May 11th download numbers: 25
    Day 5 May 12th download numbers: 493 - Sanuku YouTube video + MobileTechReview review (US-Arcade 1205 US-Action 1098)
    Day 6 May 13th download numbers: 308 (out of US rankings)
    Day 7 May 14th download numbers: 93
    Day 8 May 15th download numbers: 42 (the meaning of life, the universe and everything!)
    Day 9 May 16th download numbers: 76 148apps review goes live late in the day
    Day 10 May 17th download numbers: 75
    Day 11 May 18th download numbers: 30
    Day 12 May 19th download numbers: 23
    Day 13 May 20th download numbers: 9
    Day 14 May 21st download numbers: 5
    Day 15 May 22nd download numbers: 8
    Day 16 May 23rd download numbers: 8
    Day 17 May 24th download numbers: 6
    Day 18 May 25th download numbers: 4
    Day 19 May 26th download numbers: 6

Obviously this is a very weak launch indicating that the game does not appeal to a wide audience and I kind of expected that, it is after all a niche game.

On a side note, I did no advertising or marketing aside from posting in the "upcoming games" thread in the TouchArcade forums. Also I had no frontpage time or reviews on any of the popular mobile game sites.

- Les

2. Hollow Threat

Hollow Threat Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Artist
    NZ
    #2 Hollow Threat, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
    thanks for sharing, my game released recently(donut pirate) also seeing similar numbers, first day is about 370 downloads, and numbers will drop sharply in 3 days, when your game is not on app store free game list.

i'm curious how those flappy, 2048, dont step on white clones get to the top chart, are people really so desperate to download those clones? :confused:

3. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Good question. I wonder if some of them are using download services to boost them up the charts.

- Les

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    just easier to boost up because of the volume of searches in those areas.

Basically that free boost at the start at least lets people see the game which then gives it that chance of going viral. It needs to be good enough they will tell their friends.

5. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    True but that doesn't explain games like Flappy Bird or 100 Balls or Make It Rain that came out of nowhere to reach the #1 spot. I mean people aren't searching for 100 balls I'm sure but it still hits the top spot. That's what makes me think they use a paid download service to get them visible and then the App Store takes over from there.

This is all speculation though....

- Les

6. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    There was someone here who deconstructed flappy birds success and showed it was most likely to be organic. The arguments were all backed by evidence.

I am sure some used those black marketing tools but in general there is a lot of luck combined with a good product that the end consumer likes.

7. cadaei

cadaei Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Your first screenshot on the App Store is a menu. That's rather dull to look at. Maybe find a good action scene from your game and position that at the front.

8. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Thanks. I will fix this in my next update submission.

9. Appocalypse

Appocalypse Member

Apr 18, 2013
    As insane as it seems, I think the results for games like flappy bird are in fact organic.

That said, you really can't expect anything better than the numbers you have if you are unwilling to engage in any sort of marketing. Even in the console market, quality games with little direct competition like Madworld or Okami fail to meet expectations, largely due to a lack of marketing. In the highly competitive mobile industry, marketing is essential unless you plan to hit the lottery and get lucky, but if that's the case, it's easier to just buy a ticket instead of making a game. :p

10. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Good points.

Yesterday two things happened to considerably boost my downloads. First, Sanuku made a YouTube video of the game. He has 177K subscribers so that helped. Second, I got a very favorable review by Tom Slayton from MobileTechReview - BIG THANKS! That certainly helped too.

My download numbers went from 25 to 493.

Appocalypse, on the topic of marketing. What would you suggest? As an indie doing this on the side I really have no money to put into marketing so it'd have to be some kind of free service.

- Les

11. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    how did you get those reviews?

12. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    I posted a trailer video and description of the game in the upcoming games thread prior to launching. A reviewer from MobileTechReview saw it and asked for a promo code. The YouTube video by Sanuku just appeared from nowhere but I thought it was very generous that he would take the time to play the game and upload the video.

In other words, I just got lucky :)

- Les

13. Appocalypse

Appocalypse Member

Apr 18, 2013
    To be perfectly honest, I am also trying to discover the secret formula for marketing. I'm actually sitting on a finished game right now until I have a plan that is satisfactory.

With no budget, you're going to have to go through social media. Just get involved with as many other developers and people in the industry as you can through Facebook and twitter. You may get lucky and meet someone who can get you on the right track.

14. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    At the very least you should be posting on forums while you sit on it.

15. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I don't actually think that's the issue. The App Store is just so saturated, it's really hard to get downloads. I released a free version of my racing game Get Gravel (racing is obviously a popular genre) and it only got a few k downloads before dying altogether. I really think the problem is just the amount of games, especially free ones to compete with.

In saying that, your game looks great and I'm going to grab it now. Love old school stuff!

16. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Speaking of that, I have had interest from a couple of big publishers about my upcoming game Oversteer... weighing up the pros and cons but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go with a publisher these days, just too hard to get noticed as "the little guy", unless you're VERY lucky.

17. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Any idea how much percentage they take? Is it 30%? One thing is they would be able to do a big advertising push for you to get your app noticed. I thought about contacting Chillingo for some of my future games to see if they are interested but before going that route I wanted to explore all the avenues on my own first.

Also, would they require you to make changes to your app to comply with their standards or would you have full control over the look and feel?

- Les

18. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    It doesn't necessarily mean that. It just means Apple didn't give your app a featured spot on the front page. Without that, it's very difficult to get any action.

19. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    That's what I'm trying to gauge right now. The crowd I'm talking to at the moment seems very cool. Yes, the percentages are high but I think it's probably worth it due to the exposure. I don't want to give an exact figure or name the company but you're in the right ballpark.

Basically if I can have the game published without it being changed too much to suit them, I'll go with them. I've told them about the plans for the game, style etc and they seem totally happy and haven't suggested any changes or anything yet but I guess they'd make some suggestions once we go ahead. That's cool though, I'm all for creative criticism, as long as it helps the game become better!

I did have a game published by Chillingo through their Samsung indie project but I literally got about $5 worth of sales...

20. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Depends who but they obviously have a say. I imagine a lot comes on cross advertising their other games and the monetization techniques.

Even if you decide to stand on your ideals you need to keep them happy because you are asking them to pay all your marketing costs.