Top charts in App Store is so broke?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jayg2015, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I've checked the top charts for paid and free for two years and it seems to hardly ever change.
    Can it be right are so many people everyday buying games like akinator the genie or the game of life for months at a time and only having 20 reviews.
    Why won't they just fix this feature. They could make millions more each month

2. Deadpool6902

Deadpool6902 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I know right, every single day they keep the same apps. I mean how could that many people buy one app for this long.

3. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    For 99% of iOS users, those top charts are the only place they find things to buy. It's a miracle they change as much as they do.

4. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    It's not just games. Some pundits and those otherwise in the industry have said it's ruining (non-game) apps too.

And you're asking why Apple won't fix this? They're already raking in the money. They don't seem to care where the money's coming from. They can do what they're currently doing now, or spend resources at it, but in the end, they'll lose at b/c they probably won't see any gains.

Also, other articles say that when the iOS AppStore first came out, the big wigs underestimated how prominent it would be. Indies were able to flourish. Now, the likes of Google, Facebook, etc. have gotten in, they now reap most of the revenue... for a group that only represents a minority. Not unlike the actual American economy.

This. That's the thing... when you're on a platform with a lot of casual/quick gamers, then the best selling items would certainly reflect that. I'm fairly certain that most of those buyers most won't be coming to places like TA.com to get their curated picks, and do ANY research.

5. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Yes. This is exactly how I used to find games before I stumbled upon TA.

6. cabuckn2

cabuckn2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    For years I used that to gauge which games to buy. Thankfully, I found TA. I agree, it seems SUPER broken.

7. TernTek

TernTek Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    Is there a place on TA where you can find user curated games? I guess the forums have this, but it would be nice if users curate game lists are well organized and easy to find. Readers can then also up-vote good lists.

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Not really, aside from various forum posts. I posted my own lists in reply to questions several times. One of these days I'll get around to making a thread for my recommendations, so I can use it for reference.

Having a game list as part of forum profiles would be great. @TA Staff: Wonder if it's possible to add that?

Sidenote: If we start discussing this topic, we should move it to a new thread.

9. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    That would be great!

10. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I like this- a bitch about the App Store thread :D Yep it's crazy, Ketchapp have two games there by virtue of being two aesthetically pleasing, but not actually brilliant games. (Splash, Stack)
    Picked out a good game though called Merged, haven't seen that featured TA. Not sure if it's actually classed as a match 3! But it's a good one.
    The other crazy popular App Store hit was this game about driving into a petrol station. I guess it's novelty for kids.

11. cabuckn2

cabuckn2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    In regards to the forum profile part, a lot of avid TA readers have their "favorites" or what not in their signature. Some have their "game of the year" listed as well. I have copied this myself and I have the top 5 games that I'm currently playing as my signature. You'd be surprised what all you can pick up by just reading random threads :)

12. ciaphuas

ciaphuas Member

Feb 13, 2016
    The biggest hope in breaking into the top charts is for an Apple employee to spot your game and to make it featured for a week. Even then it can be a little rough.