User ratings and reviews gone from iTunes app store?!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Chocolate, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    OK, I just noticed tonight that I'm not seeing user ratings and reviews for apps in iTunes now.

Did Apple suddenly remove that recently? :confused:

2. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    WOW :eek: Thats weird but I heard Apple was up to some stuff today with iTunes so .... my guess it'll be back before we know it.

3. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    This happened to me the other day...

[​IMG]

4. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    This would be great news if it were true. 90% of the reviews in the app store are complete garbage anyway.

5. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    LOL! :D That would be very interesting, havoc would ensue. :rolleyes: BUT ... I doubt it.

6. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Well if that is true they are going to get far less of my money I would never buy anything without reading other players views on it there is an awful lot of garbage on the app store and I'm just not going to gamble randomly.

I'll give it a few days and see if they come back no sense worrying yet about it.

7. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Meh. I've never bought an app based on user reviews in the app store. I go by what people say here or on gaming sites. I've only seen a handful of reviews that made sense, let alone had something with substance to them.

8. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    There is no way apple will get rid of these ratings. Its just a bug.

9. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #9 dyscode, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010

and the 10% that is good saved me maybe $100 already.
    So I gladly take the 90% - freedom of expression.

10. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    hmmm, it doesnt look like a glitch. The section where the reviews were have completely disappeared, it doesnt say no reviews for current version like it usually does if there are none for the game. I hope its just a glitch though, the reviews are useful and put pressure on the devs to do a good job

11. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #11 tsharpfilm, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
    I agree.

And the freedom to make the app store into a total mess. A lot of really great games have 3 star ratings just because they aren't updated once a week, or include some trendy new feature (game center, retina display, etc).

Apple can act like a Communist regime when it comes to Flash, VoIP, and DOS emulators. Why can't they write something into the rules that blocks out stupid app reviews? :D

12. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    So it's not just me then?

Wow, this is bad. Very bad. I think the ability of PAID CUSTOMERS to rate apps is very important.

My buying habits will change as a result, and not the way Apple wants.

13. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    The reviews are so so helpful. It's pretty easy to spot the phony reviews.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this change is a reaction to the damage being done by FaadVIP. I mean they are totally spamming the system.
    The only thing I don't like about the reviews is the way some people won't give an app a 5 star rating until the dev implements some feature that they want, like multiplayer or touch controls, etc. It's a form of extortion.

14. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    I bet it's only a temporary issue due to some reorganization of their databases / AppStore logic.

If they remove ratings / reviews, some other way to provide feedback should be provided. Otherwise how can we improve our apps, or react to customer requirements?

15. ZEROFACES

ZEROFACES Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
    Here, allow me to fill in for these missing reviews:

wow
    * by SuperKid0909090
    ADDICTIGN OMG I LOVE IT IT IT IT IT!!!!!!!

!!!!!!
    ***** by ArabianSEXYTIME
    best game on the store by far get it now you won't regret it it's so great seriously i play everyday you will too!!!!!!!!!!

Best
    ***** by randomusername
    Worst game

And those can all be applied to ANY game on the app store, because as we all know, you don't even have to play a game to write something stupid and completely unhelpful about it :D ;)

16. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Lol ok you can find that sort of stuff but for the lack of links between the comment and the rate is clearly because the guy enjoy then comment then get irritated then delete the app and took the opportunity to throw one star forgetting update the comment.

Rates and comments can be useful in some cases. If a game has 70% or more of 4/5 stars well there's something worth the check. If a game has 70% or more 1 stars there's also something worth check closer before get that.

For comments there's perhaps many pointless but also many well done. And they are easy to identify. Be able check few of the good one can be informative even if this will be hardly your single source of selection criteria.

17. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    What they should do is have a threshold filter, and people thumbs up/thumbs down reviews. Those who do stupid reviews should get filtered out(in theory)

18. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    like Q said to Jean Luc Picard, something equally to: when you are afraid of a getting a bloody nose then the INTERNET is not for you.

But I agree: people not old enough to vote should not be allowed to write reviews. :cool:

19. IanNas

IanNas Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Nuts!

Thanks for posting this message ... I thought I was Nuts, looking everywhere to see if there was some option I missed years ago for turning off reviews in iTunes [Hey that might not be such a bad idea huh?!]

Anyway, I see it as a double edged sword ... I hate the multitude of fake 5 Star reviews and the ignorant comments [as deftly referred to by many of the comments here] but I don't mind filtering through all of the stupid stuff to get to the one, two or three reviews that helped me decide to make a purchase ... or not!

Hope the reviews return ... and Hey! Who knows? Maybe with an option to turn them off?!

20. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Hope they return myself yes you get the odd silly review on games but I buy quite a few other more serious apps and it's important to know if they are up to the task or not reading the feedback helps tremendously before deciding which app to go with.

If they don't return it's very bad news for the independent developers and small company's as then people will tend to go more for big name titles they know something about.

I did half see something like this coming when Fifa 11 was getting demolished by people downloading it with incompatible systems I don't know how many pages that got in the first day but a lot and nearly all of it negative and mostly unjustified.

They will probably be back I'd guess I don't think apple would do something that will almost certainly damage their sales more than likely they are just improving/changing it.