Rectools Unlimited (multitrack recorder) 39.99->Free Mar. 3

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Greyskull, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

I don't know how good this app is, but I figured I would give the heads up. Never been on sale before, I don't think. Supports CoreMidi iirc. Should be free at 11:00 PM.

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Free here now, thanks for the heads up.

3. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Guess it'll be free at the regular time tonight. Considering all this claims to be, amazing its only 0.8MB for the download.

Thanks for the heads up, will get this when it goes free tonight.

4. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #4 chris1a, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    Thanks for the heads up. Lol at the price, and the app tho.

A tip if anyone's looking for a way more capable, feature rich and cheaper multitrack daw that also works on iPhone/iPod check out Multitrack DAW instead.

Edit: Or any of the other universal DAWs that do audio recording for that matter (Beatmaker 2, Music studio etc). Not sure if those can handle multiple inputs tho.

5. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Cheaper? This is currently free, the one you recommend is $9.99. :p

6. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    500 tracks is pretty impressive! Thanks for the heads up.

PS I actually own Multitrack DAW and I can tell you that it can only do 8 tracks by default (for the initial 10 dollar app), or 24 tracks if you throw in ANOTHER 8 bucks for IAP.. But FL Studio mobile can do unlimited track if I'm not mistaken though it isn't really suited for full audio file editing

7. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

8. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    A lot of apps are like that unfortunately...even not-so-cheap ones.

Nano Studio, for example, lets you edit/record 8 tracks with 16 being an iap option. Fl Studio has interested me in the past, but it isn't the most popular desktop DAW so I doubt I'll bite.

This app looks like it's specifically for multitrack live recording; or at least that's the main purpose, given the screenshots w/ peripherals. I think you would import what you record on this app into some of the apps mentioned, like Beatmaker or FL mobile.

The best DAW looks to be Auria though. i have to admit I haven't tried it though, and someone here (failing memory again) said they spent 200 bucks in iaps...which makes me wonder what you get for the 30-50 bucks it costs.

9. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Yeah, saw Auria in action and it is impressive, too bad there's no iPhone version for the iPadless :(

I know about NanoStudio, I own it and bought the extra tracks IAP. Bought FL Studio, and ALL of its IAPs too. Own BM2 as well. But there's just something about the IAP in Multitrack DAW that upsets me, because MDAW is not like Nano, FL, or BM2.. MDAW is focused entirely on audio tracks recording and only capable of doing those and as such, I would have expected it to maybe be a little cheaper, or have more tracks with the initial purchase. Dunno, just my opinion.

Anyway, back to topic.. I like Rectools. It's not as powerful or feature rich like MDAW, but having virtually unlimited tracks makes it extremely useful tool. I like the interface and obviously that it is less than 1 megabyte in size. What a treasure it is as free!

10. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #10 chris1a, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    That was me. You do get the works for the initial 50 bucks. PSPaudioware channel strips with their gate/expander, Compressor, Limiter and multi band EQ. Sub channels and master got PSPs busspressor unit also. As inserts you get PSPaudioware chorus unit and delay unit. A classic reverb unit and a convolution reverb unit from Wavemachine labs. And a retune/pitch shifter from some other company. And a brickwall limiter to top it of. So basically everything you need is there (and its PSP which = awesome quality/sound).

But the thing is Auria is completely open for third party plugin companies, so they can convert their VST plugs and sell them in Auria, just like in any other computer daw (pro tools, Cubase and so on). And Wavemachine Labs, the Auria devs, don't take any money from any of all those third party IAPs.

200 bucks seems like much, but get the same exact plugins on PC/MAC and you would have to add another 0 to that price (FabFilter plugs, PSP plugs and so on).

11. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Just wanted to ask... is Multitrack DAW the cheapest of the apps you mentioned? Not that I'm really interested, since there are other, arguably more robust options (especially woth the near universal implementation of Audiobus...those here who thought it was just a fad...it's sweeping the ios audio landscape).

Just wondering becuase someone mentioned it's 9.99 (plus iaps). But, IMO, any recording app desidicated to just that should have 16 tracks minimum for the price of purchase. I can let Nano Studio slide because it's a sequencer/synth/drum machine/etcetera.

Beatmaker 2 looks interesting, but if Auria is the best...well, I'de like to own one app that does everything, not 5 cheaper apps. Then again, some of the Auria (Not Auria LE, which is ONLY 20 bucks) iaps seem like functions that should just be built in. I could be wrong, but while checking it out in the appstore yesterday, I think I saw a "reverb" iap. I mean...reverb is pretty basic if ya know what I mean.

12. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Ooooohh...so, the price of entry doesn't limit the # of tracks? Well, that's pretty awesome. I'm not to much into the recording side...a long time ago I was in a band, and an audio engineer handled that business anyway. I figured I would do most of the work in other apps before sending the results to Auria (or whatever I pick up) anyway. Mostly just adjust the volume levels track-by-track and maybe some light sequencing, which I might be able to do in Beatmaker 2.

I was a bass guitar player. If it's in the kilohertz range, it all sounds the same to me anyway :p ;).

13. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Multitrack DAW does audio tracks ONLY. It has no software instruments, no sequencer, just the basic effects and nothing else. It's not really the same type of app as all the others

Auria is an iPad-only app and as such I don't know much about it.

BM2 has a very pleasant interface, a sequencer that is extremely easy to work with, and great effects controllers. HOWEVER, i found BM2 to be VERY sluggish on my iPhone4 from the 4th instrument up. Also, some of its software instruments have huge memory footprints (some more than 20Mbs per insturment! You decide if this is a pro or a con) that makes it even harder to work with the iDevice's rather limited RAM (If I put a 64MB limit on BM2 i may only get 4-5 instruments into a project).

Personally, for me BM2 is a bit of a letdown. It really needs a diet IMO. I'd stick with Nano or, you can drop some money on FL studio mobile - it's pretty good too, although it lacks per-track effects (developer said its coming soon), patterns, and its sequencer takes a bit of getting used to. Also I think there's some bug on the MIDI in where it double registers midi signals (happens when i try to get input from Soundprism Pro, etc).

Oh, and GarageBand is not half bad, too :)

14. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I have garage band, of course ;). I'll probably wait a month or so and see which apps are updated with Audiobus support...then I'll decide whether to buy audiobus ;).

Plus, I stll haven't really figured out the Polysix...too many games taking up my time :(.