What's the definition of Arcade game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lxtpeter, Mar 21, 2011.

1. lxtpeter

lxtpeter New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I am a junior level game player and don't know many of the professional term of games. Recently I have met a term called Arcade game which I don't know the definition, I have searched it with Google and the definition in Wikipedia is •An arcade game is a coin-operated entertainment machine, usually installed in public businesses such as restaurants, public houses, and video arcades. Most arcade games are redemption games, merchandisers (such as claw crane), video games, or pinball machines. But it's still not easy for me to understand. Anyone can explain this more simple and straightaway? Thanks so much.

2. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Hmm, the definition has certainly changed since the rise of home consoles and portables, and it has come to mean more than just actual 'games that are normally in an arcade'.

I think the term now encompasses games that have in general short playtimes, during which one can see a good amount of content, and which have good replayability. For example, something like Fruit Ninja- each game can last a few minutes, during which you see pretty much all the game has to offer. Subsequent replay value is gained by trying to beat highscores, and unlock various secrets. Then look at Street Fighter IV- you can play through tournament mode in less than 10 minutes, however challenging different difficulties, and mastering all the characters provides a large amount of depth, but it's still based on a fundamentally short core playtime.

This contrasts with something like RPGs, particularly those that are grind-heavy, where you can play for hours and level up your character, but without advancing 'through' the game, so to speak.

TL;DR: Arcade game- short playthrough, high replayability, easy to pick up and play, but good ones are difficult to master.

It's only my opinion, though- perhaps other gamers have a better and more thorough definition.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I sort of agree with DusT_HounD, it's definitely open to interpretation. Though personally I would call simple games with short play times 'casual' rather than 'arcade'. I usually reserve the term arcade for games that still have the same kind of retro vibe, maybe by having a lives system or being inspired by an actual arcade game of old like Space Invaders or Dig-Dug. Casual and arcade are probably interchangable for a lot of people though, and some games undoubtedly fall into both categories.

Actually if you want as good an answer as you'll ever get...

arcade-like. Jargon. A game that emphasizes quick action and reflexive response over deep strategy.

casual game. An easy-to-learn game targeted at and/or played by people without extensive videogame experience.

Taken from The Video Game Style Guide and Reference Manual by The International Game Journalists Association ;)

4. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    my definition of an arcade game - "pick up and play," quick to grasp with minimal tutorial (and therefore not much in the way of complicated mechanics on the surface, at least), usually something bright, colorful, and action-oriented which should be designed to last for anywhere between a few quick rounds, or several hours.

I would not consider something like Bejeweled to be an arcade game, since it leans much more toward casual (the user is encouraged to take his/her time playing it)

5. DusT_HounD

Jun 27, 2010
    Ah, good points all round- there is certainly some blurring of the lines between arcade and casual these days.

I'd partly disagree with the videogame journo's association's definition of arcade, though. Do they mean that Virtual On, Tekken, etc. are not arcade games? Both examples have extremely deep strategic play, but are firmly rooted in the arcades. I understand what they are trying to get at, but don't think their definition is that well- suited.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That's probably why it's listed as "arcade-like" and not just "arcade". Fighting games have almost been on consoles for as long as they have arcade machines, so they're more loosely-tied than the likes of earlier titles such as Pac-Man.

Either way, I think the Video Game Style Guide is pretty widely used as a standard, so when you see articles or reviews referring to it they're probably going by that.

7. DusT_HounD

Jun 27, 2010
    @MidianGTX:
    ya, good point, and it's also important to note that the arcade scene itself is changing too, what with players being able to have cards that store their profiles in games, so they can take their data with them- they're more like console experiences themselves, since you can have a persistent profile- just gotta pay each time you want to play!

Personally, I reckon the golden age of the arcade was back in the early 90s, where the home consoles weren't yet quite powerful enough, so the only place you'd see an arcade game, with huge sprites and special effects, was in an arcade.

Sorry- hijacked the thread with a nostalgia trip there...

8. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

I tend to think of "arcade games" as ones that are simplistic, action oriented and accessible. If it feels like something you'd find in an arcade between 1980 and 1993 then it's an arcade game. It's not something that has a hard definition, it's more of a "you'll know it when you see it" kind of thing. "Arcade" racing games or "arcade" sports games are a different story completely, in those cases it's about capturing the essence of the activity without being hindered by realism.

9. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Arcade Game = Opposite of a Simulation one.

10. levelone

levelone Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    An arcade game is a coin-operated entertainment machine, usually installed in public businesses such as restaurants, public houses, and video arcades. Most arcade games are redemption games, merchandisers (such as claw crane), video games, or pinball machines.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_game

11. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    "Arcade" in a modern context is a catch-all for games that don't necessarily fit in another bucket. Typically, anything with short, intense gameplay can be considered "Arcade". Especially games that are score-based rather than story or fixed-length based.

The original definition referred to games that were like the original arcade games of the 70's/early-80's. Pacman, Galaga, Robotron, Defender, Pole Position, etc. Later arcade games were typically thought of in terms of their genre rather than as "arcade". For example, Street Fighter II was a fighter while San Francisco Rush was a racing game.

Eventually the term "Arcade" morphed a bit to be used as a modifier to other genres rather than being a term of its own. As an adjective, it tends to describe a lack of realism with a focus on shorter, more intense gameplay. As an example, Cruisn' USA and Ridge Racer are both considered racers, but Crusin' is considered an "Arcade Racer" due to its lack of realism.

This has led to a recasting of the "classic" arcade games as "Arcade Action" with "Action" being the catch-all bucket for anything that doesn't fit within another genre.

Of course, these things are somewhat slippery. My own Coverfire HD game (see sig) can be classified as either "Arcade Shooter" or "Arcade Action". In many cases, "Arcade Action" would seem more appropriate since the game does not fit the classic mold of a "vertical" or "horizontal" shooter.

If you need an easy test to try and define Arcade in your own mind, consider this: Coin-op machines in the arcades were designed to drain you of your quarters. This resulted in gameplay that had to be short (so you wouldn't prevent the machine from making money) and intense (so that you'd keep plunking quarters for the next "hit"). If you can imagine a game fitting into that mold, then the "Arcade" label is probably appropriate. :)

12. CakeFuryzz

CakeFuryzz Active Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Soon :)
    Bay Area, CA
    Pick up and play games with high replayability, getting high scores, and short/long bursts of gameplay.

Example: The Blocks Cometh, Air Supply, Bug Heroes, Monkey Labour, etc.

13. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    The OP's question was actually one that I was wondering myself. This thread seems to cover all the possible definitions pretty well.

14. DusT_HounD

Jun 27, 2010
    Ya, this was definitely a great discussion, guys!

On a sidenote, even though there's plenty of 30-hr long games, and ones that have beautifully-written, seemingly never-ending story modes etc., i still say you can't beat a good arcade/ arcade-like/ casual game session for sheer intensity of entertainment. Start playing, have a blast in less than half an hour, then go on with your day. Or do it again. And again...