In 5 years tablets will have....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    More power than today's desktops.

I read that today on a financial news site. I am not sure I believe it, but if desktop pcs go away, I will still want a mouse or some new controller that offers pinpoint accuracy. I am terrible with touch screen games.

What do you think about the premise of tablets in 5 years?

2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    They say technology doubles every year... or something. It's not out of the question that tablets will reach a power level on the same plane as the highest-end desktop computers we have now.

But I don't think tablets will ever overtake desktop computers in power in a concurrent period.

For example:

iPad: 15
    Desktop: 40

Two years later:

iPad: 40
    Desktop: 80

You see what I'm trying to say? And as far as people relying on one medium more than another, I don't see tablets overtaking desktop computers, but I absolutely see them taking over laptops at some point in time.

Desktop computers will always have their place, and they'll always be preferred for the way you can be so dang precise when editing movies and music. Plus, for all the discerning PC gamers out there, tablets will never tickle their fancy enough to push them into the kingdom of Tablets.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    They'll never be more powerful than desktops, that's just plain nonsense. Significant breakthroughs in battery life and heat dispensation would have to occur.

And besides, who needs a tablet with the horsepower of a PC? What the hell would you do on it that actually required that kind of grunt? The vast majority of tablet owners just browse the Internet, do email, check news and play Clash of Clans.

4. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    Well in five years GTA IV will probably be ported by Rockstar if it can run the game

5. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    ....begun to self-recognize

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I agree with the first paragraph, but I think there's plenty more tablets have to offer, especially in graphic design, music creation, 3D modelling and so on. They work as they are, but they're still no match for a good PC in that department.

7. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I think you missed the point. The article said tablets will be faster than TODAY'S desktops. 5 years from now. I agree somewhat on your second paragraph, but I have seen amazing art created on a tablet .