Universal Knights of Pen & Paper - (by Behold Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 31, 2012.

1. jakemat94

jakemat94 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2012
    #501 jakemat94, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    The consumables doubled in price in my game, maybe something went wrong. Let me check.
    Edit- just checked. Consumables like cake and everything else in the shop doubled, like from 30 to 60 etc. Can anyone else confirm this?
    Edit2- I'm not trying to dis the game, but seriously the rewards from fights are lower in terms of gold and exp. Before when I fought 7 missingnos I would over 10k exp with my exp items on and over $100 but now I just fought and got about 9k exp and about $57.
    Could the version before the update be so old that you had decreased rewards before for android and then increased them with this update so they seem higher?
    Still a good game, just kinda disappointing. Hopefully some code went wrong.
    Edit3- okay I think before the update there might have been a bug on not recognizing the player's levels. Like my guys are all almost level 40 and higher levels mean less rewards right? So maybe it didn't register before and now it does so I get normal rewards which seem less. Just an idea.

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well finally the update.. but oh my.. why do you guys zoomed the screen in for the iphone5 ? the iphone 5 has a bigger screen but now you see less than on the smaller 4s?

imho it feels worse than with letterboxes and somehow i expected to see more, not alot less.

3. Ajohnson1

Ajohnson1 Active Member

Nov 3, 2012
    nah, they definitely nerfed gold farming. can't really blame them though. i just wish i had saved up some gold before the update :(

4. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Well I can. What the heck? I hate when games take away from what's there because they arn't making enough money. Add new options instead. Don't severely nerf what battles pay out. This game is entirely using a freemium model behind.a $2 entry fee now.

My advice to those who don't have the game yet: DO NOT BUY

Wait for an update to fix this, or for when it goes free...

5. eluros

eluros Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Yeah, it's actually a bit concerning if they intentionally nerfed gold from battles so players would buy more gold to spend more money on the game.

That being said, gty posts here regularly, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully it's just a misunderstanding.

6. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    It's good to see that you're enjoying the game. The "retina display" thing was a misunderstanding by us and I even edited my previous post.

These items were increased so long ago on android versions that I must confess, I didn't even remember. Android users didn't complain about it so we thought everything was good and working well. Lots of things in the game is changed by feedback, we listen a lot to our reviews and feedback, we are trying to make the best game we can based on community report. We know its a niche game so we know you're our audience. We talk about every feedback we get and this is a topic that will be discussing for sure.

I'm really sorry this patch disappointed you, when this kind of thing happens we're shooting our own feet because it's not just you, if you got disappointed other people might as well be. I will definitely take a deeper look at this.

It's not really a zoom and we didn't take anything out of it. We had the same problems with samsung galaxy s3, the game wasn't on the correct resolution. Sides were being cut and black lines were on bottom/top of the game so we rearranged the interface to work entirely on your resolution and the impression it takes it's that we "zoomed in" the game.

(answering this on next quote)

We didn't nerf gold farming. We actually know that too many people complain about gold, there isn't any good reason for us to do that because people would even stop playing our game and some reviews would appear, just like yours. I know, we have in-app and that gives us money indeed, it's not something that we're hiding because it's just there for whoever wants to speed up their game and etc. But I promise you, we didn't think that way. Whoever follows this thread since beginning, we've posted since start that we don't want in-app to be needed and this isn't a freemium model at all. We have too many plans for next patches and the gold/grind/exp are in the list of subjects. What we want the most is that you, the gamer, have a great experience while playing and also have fun. We're not stealing anyone's money or would like to do it so, please keep that in mind.

We have too many things to change imo and things will be done so the game can get much better every patch. We just wanted to release the patch asap and unfortunatelly that happened. And by that, I'm really sorry.

Thanks. It is a big misunderstanding, like you all, we're also gamers. I wouldn't ever sacrifice players for some in-app.

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks for the really honest post.

To be honest, I think all this gold debate is really overrated.
    I never really bought anything in the game besides potions, the in game items are not that great for how much they cost (even before the update).
    I'm much happier that all the bugs I had are gone.
    XP progression seems faster too.

I do wish we will see additional campaigns in the future, I would certainly pay for them.

8. eluros

eluros Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Thanks. You guys continue to show yourselves to be a great indie studio. Glad to continue supporting you. :)

9. juls363

juls363 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    So no more support for 5.0.1 ??

10. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    I finally had a chance to start playing this game recently... WOW, it's so good. Definitely going to be in my nominations for GOTY

11. jakemat94

jakemat94 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks for the nice reply, it's nice how you respond so much to all the feedback.
    The only reason I was talking about gold is because after you finish all the quests there are like two things to do: 1. Grind until you can beat the final boss or 2. Start a new campaign. At least how I see it. So I was frustrated with the gold thing because it made the grind less rewarding. I understand the things the dev said though and it doesn't really make the game worse or anything that there is a bit less rewards.

Anyways thanks for reply, maybe I'll just see how fast I can do the campaigns instead now :D.

12. Finale

Finale New Member

Nov 22, 2012
    I read somewhere that they were porting this to the PC as well. Since people that are involved with the game post here I was wondering if they could answer when that'll be available and if it will only be a direct port or will it have features unique to it.

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well...I hope that when I'll have completed the first campaign and the arena one (yet to try)...they will have published new campaigns :)

As for how fast you complete the campaign, I think I saw that tracked in the leaderboards as the main objective.
    I even realized that many people completed the game WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before me (I'm at over 500 days and I still have tons to do).

14. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    at first we were going to just port it and that would be as the ios release got online but too many things happened and we're definitely trying for steam. that means we'll be working hard to make modifications to the game because we know that if we just pressed the target-platform button on Unity3D to PC/Mac it would not be a good game.

yes, we're improving the game for sure but I don't know if I can talk anything beyond that right now. there are so many ideas and features but whatever we do into the pc/mac version we know that the ios/android are the initial versions and we might improve them as well.

so, uh, if we were doing just a port, it was suppose to be online and ready to sell already but since we have too much in mind, it will take a bit. I hope you liked the answer haha :)

I'll have to stay afk from this topic for the next week or so, there's a new festival happening in Brazil (BIG Festival, which Knights of Pen and Paper is one of the finalists in one category called: Brazil Revelation or something like that in English) and this time it's not on our home city. we'll participate in a 24hr gamejam in Sao Paulo this weekend too, wish us luck.

anyway, I don't know if you guys remember well but the knight's wiki is getting pretty awesome, we use to help just a little bit on some info but the majority of content were put there by fans: http://knightsofpenandpaper.wikia.com/

edit:
    oh, for whoever asked the 5.0.1 support, I didn't get. you meant ios 5.0.1? we didn't changed anything to its core so it should be working as it was before. if you meant iphone5 then it has no longer black lines on top/bottom.

15. xdiesp

xdiesp Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    #515 xdiesp, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    gty: I have a couple suggestions to improve longevity. One, is to keep Slay quests available indefinitely. The other, to feature a New Game Plus option where you keep either items (I prefer this one) or skills in another playthrough.

edit
    If you're porting this to steam, there's definitely need for more variety in the endgame as well. I don't know, possibly an editor so people can make their own campaigns (with dialogues).

16. Finale

Finale New Member

Nov 22, 2012
    That answers my questions. Thank you very much for responding!

17. Finale

Finale New Member

Nov 22, 2012
    That answers my questions. Thank very much for responding!

18. xdiesp

xdiesp Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    #518 xdiesp, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    Someone said you could solo the final boss with a fully equipped knight, I might try that.

edit
    Ah, sorry about that. Anyway, I tried with just lvl 2 rings and dragon blow couldn't really sustain me in front of the boss' AOE+nuke combo. :(

19. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Couple of questions:

1. It seems like sleeping has no penalty. Am I missing something?
    2. And if one of your party members dies, do they keep their level and everything else if/when you revive them?

Thanks

20. xdiesp

xdiesp Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    #520 xdiesp, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    Yep, no penalty for sleep and revive only costs money. But at high level, ressing a guy can cost as much as 80 gold.

edit

This was my setup for the last boss:

Shaman dps
    Full Vines. Leveling up, it was full tornado

Mage dps
    Full fireball. Leveling up, it was full meteor

Knight tank
    1 point in defense blow, 15 in dragon blow, rest crit

Cleric healer
    Full heals. Leveling up, it spared some good Smite

Bard healer
    Full heals. Leveling up, it was full damage music

My level was 40ish, equipment were mostly Two Rings, plus some minus threat gear on the healers and +attack on the tank. Died a lot when the boss AOEd and then focused on healers. Tactic was to keep everyone capped with health, keeping up the knight bubble, and spamming vine and fireball.