Games like Words w/ Friends, only not.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by venasque, Aug 16, 2010.

1. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Hi all. I was hoping I could get some suggestions from the community on more games that have a specific feature built in.

I have a friend who lives in another city and we've been playing Words with Friends. We never play the games "live". I'll make my move and send it. Then a few hours later (sometimes longer) when she has time she'll make her move. Then in turn I'll make my move when I have a chance. We'll continue in this fashion completing a game in a couple days.

I'm looking for more games that work in this way as we're getting a little bored with the Scrabble clone right now. I know there is Chess with Friends of course but at the moment those are the only two that I KNOW work in this fashion.

Reading the descriptions of games that include multiplayer it's not clear whether you can play a game this way, or if you create a match you have to play live (both being available to play at the same time) and finish in one sitting. This is not what we're interested in.

So if anyone knows, from their own experience, of other games that work like this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. Citsade

Citsade Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    I believe Carcassone has this feature, as well as multiple tactical RTS games like Uniwar.

It would definitely be nice to have more though, I am surprised more asynchronous multiplayer games arent being produced considering how successful Words is for that specific feature.

3. SharpCarlos

SharpCarlos Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    I and a friend game like that. We play both the games you mention and have also tried:

1) Dominion - Great Risk clone.

2) Uniwar - Another strategy game, but fairly hardcore. You and your friend both need to be into old-school war games (as in pushing cardboard counters around on a hex based map) to enjoy it.

3) Highborn - Fantasy strategy game, but I'm not too happy with it as a multiplayer game. I don't feel like the available strategies are much fun, some of the maps are way too big, and often there's too decisive an advantage for the player who goes first.

4) Strategery - A little bit like Risk, but not a straight clone. Randomized maps add a lot to the replay value.

5) Backgammon Premium (by "Trivial Technology") - This doesn't seem to work right. I'm usually not notified when it's my turn, and every time I make my move it tells me "failed to submit turn" even though it's actually submiting the turn just fine.

I've heard really good things about Carcassone multiplayer, but haven't tried it yet.

Anybody else have suggestions? I too am curious about what else is available that can be played like this.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Everyone has pretty much named all the ones I play with the exception of Chess with Friends. Carcassonne is probably my favotire but there are a couple coming out in the near future that will have asynchronous play like you are looking for such as Reiner Knizia's Samurai and Neuroshima Hex (although, I think for Neuroshima Hex this will be a feature added at a later date via an update).

5. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Sweet. Thanks for your input guy. Carcassonne sounds like a good fit. Hope more games (especially the board game styled ones) add (include) this feature.

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #6 SkyMuffin, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
    Could you explain how asynchronous works in Carcasonne? I bought it because they said it has that feature, but when I played against someone I lost because my turn timer ran out.

7. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I started a topic about this. It's really difficult to think of great games like scrabble or chess turned into the same format. I think civ would be a very credible one if that went multiplayer.

8. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    i love carcassonne. definitely one of my favorite apps. Only the quickplay has a timer. You need to acquire a "friend's" email to play asynchronously. Then you select "play with friends". The quickplay option is for anyone who wants to start AND finish a full game with someone online.

9. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    so if I don't know anyone else with Carcasonne, I can't do asynchronous? That is totally misleading. =((((((((((((((

I guess i'll make a thread to share emails for Carcasonne...

10. hassaanm

hassaanm New Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #10 hassaanm, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
    Scramble Your Friends!

Scramble Your Friends!

It's fun and pretty addicting. It is a turn based word game, so it is very similar to words with friends.

11. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    I don't think anyone's said it yet, so I'll say it:

POKER PALS

There.

12. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Carcassonne

Hangin' With Friends

Prose With Bros (althought this uses a slightly modified multiplayer system than the one we're talking about)

And for God's sake, DISC DRIVIN'!!