iPad 2 owners ONLY... will you upgrade to the New iPad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, Mar 13, 2012.

?

iPad 2 owners ONLY... will you upgrade to the New iPad?

1. Yes... i'm keeping my iPad 2 and will be getting the next one too!

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. Yes... i'm trying to sell (or have already sold) my iPad 2 in anticipation!

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. No... despite having the money, i'm happy with the iPad 2 and thus will skip this generation.

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  4. Nope... short on funds, not interested/too lazy to try and sell my iPad 2.

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  5. Other (post a reply!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    For those who own the iPad 2 only...

2. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    I'm in the process of selling my 3G+WiFi iPad 2 but am getting just under 50% of the value I originally bought it for. Knowing i'm going to have to shell out another couple of hundred dollars after selling my iPad 2doesn't sound too appealing since I just recently bought a Vita + a bunch of games.

Sure Retina is tempting, but it's just... too expensive a hobby. Curious to know what you other iPad 2 owners are planning?

3. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    As I said in the other thread:

I am still curious to see some actual performance figures comparing the iPad 2 and 3 (talking about framerate mainly,) but from what I've been able to gather so far, if your primary use for the device is gaming, AND you already own an iPad 2, it might pay to wait until next year to upgrade. This year Apple are selling the screen. Next year they should be selling the power to push stuff around on it.

4. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I'm just gonna get an iPhone 5, or whatever they'll call it, instead. That should come out in September or so. The 4g could be a huge selling point for me, but I'm not paying twice for data, so it does me no good on the iPad. I tether everything off my iPhone, using that as a hotspot. A 4g iPhone could really be awesome. The specs don't seem like a huge improvement. I wonder if they'll put the iPad 3 chip into the iPhone 5? They probably will, but then will the iPhone 5 really be much of an upgrade from the 4s? I don't have a 4s anyway, but I'll have a full upgrade by then. A iPhone 5 for 199.99 beats the hell out of a iPad 3 for 499.99, assuming the chip turns out to be the same.

5. ben18

ben18 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Canada!
    Yes, I will be upgrading.

I sold my iPad 2 when the announcement was...announced, and got decent value for it. Since the upgrade will end up costing me less than $200, I'd say its worth it. For someone trying to sell their iPad now...depends how far into the hole you want to go.

6. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Out of all the rumours for iPad 3, all I expected to be true were retina, better cpu and more ram, and that's pretty much what we got. It's an appealing spec, but the lack of a 'proper' cpu upgrade is a turn off for me. Other than the flight game they demo'd and perhaps the new infinity blade, I doubt we'll see many games take advantage of the new GPU, it certainly wont significantly impress me over what my iPad 2 can do. No, I'll be keeping my iPad 2 for another year at least.... either iPad 4 or some Win8 slate I'm thinking.

Having just bought a Vita myself, games come at a premium, but then they play like you'd expect from a home console.

I'm still amazed by Fifa Vita, I can't quite get over that I'm basically experiencing the ps3 version in the palm of my hands. Contrary to what Apple would have you believe, I don't think you'll find the iPad 3 an 'amazing' upgrade. ;)

7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Funny how differently different people's minds work: if it were me, I'd just be thinking "wtf, why am I playing an x months old game on my brand new console?" But then, I mostly play at home anyway, so the "portable" card doesn't play that highly with me.

8. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Only reason I would (but won't) buy an iPad 3 would be to read comics, that screen will surely turn the device into the ultimate comic reader.

9. BrEaKBEaT

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Interestingly, that was my main concern when I read reviews stating FIFA Vita was basically FIFA 11 on the PS3/360.... however, FIFA 11 is still a fantastic game, and in the context of having that on a mobile platform, I simply can't rate it highly enough. It sounds silly to say, but unless I have mates round or we're meeting for online matches, FIFA 12 didn't get much use... I just often can't be bothered to switch my Xbox on when I could be slouched infront of the TV with the Vita/iPad/Laptop... and the added bonus with these devices is that 'instant resume where you left off' ability, with the sleep mode/switching between apps working great on the Vita!

I'm waffling on now so I'll just finish by saying this.... instead of "why am I playing an x months old game on my brand new console", I was left thinking 'this is everything I wanted from portable FIFA, everything the IOS version is not.

10. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Also very impressed with Fifa myself the only bad things I have to say about it is the camera makes the player a bit small for my liking in the be a pro mode and I really can't believe EA is trying to charge so much on the UK PSN for it their trying to get around £20 more than I payed for the physical copy.

On a plus point while it is the Fifa 11 engine it seems to be something of a hybrid with quite a few elements of 12 added and it's a game with huge replay value and online play.

11. BrEaKBEaT

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Yup, I mentioned 'elements of FIFA 12' in another thread... you can jockey with (L) and close 1st + 2nd defenders with (x) & (square).... highly impressive game. I didn't know about the price difference on PSN tho :O

btw, did you use the zoom function for cameras? It doesn't make a huge difference but does increase player size somewhat...

12. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Yeah do have the zoom on all the way I think part of the problem is I've been playing Fifa 12 on PSP before I got the Vita and the size of the players there really makes you feel you are in the match while with the vita you feel a little more like a seagull watching. But of course every other aspect of the game is much better.

13. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    I just fired up FIFA on the iPad today after probably 2 months, and can't seem to enjoy the extremely zoomed out view on the Vita anymore. Of course the controls and animations are fantastic, but even on the maximum zoom level the players all seem so tiny...

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I would really like to upgrade, but can't justify it. Only thing that is kind of pushing me toward upgrading anyway, though, is that next year I want to upgrade my iPhone, so it would be nice to have these upgrades on alternating years. Still, it's a lot of money, especially since I want a 64 GB LTE model.

15. BrEaKBEaT

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    There is certainly adjustment needed for the smaller player size. Perhaps on that basis it isn't for 'every' FIFA fan, but I love it. I've admittedly been unsure about font & graphic sizes in other games... the scoreboards are tiny in Motostorm RC! I think they were equally tiny in Stardust. Perhaps these are things that'll improve in future iterations....

16. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #16 Teknikal, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    Only bothers me on the be a pro mode which isn't even an option on IOS funny enough I'm just used to the feeling of being on the Pitch on that mode I'm sure I'll adjust in time.

Saying that though I wouldn't be suprised if EA add a few more camera options in a patch.

edit: just loaded up Fifa 12 on IOS to refresh my memory it's amazing how cartoonish it looks to me now, doesn't look terrible but it's especially apparant how much detail is missing on the close ups.

17. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I have a simple rule when it comes to Apple "middle of the road" upgrades:

If you have to turn it on to tell theres a difference, don't buy it, wait for the next model up.

18. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    I think i will keep my ipad 2 and wait for the ipad 4 coming next year(apple will make a new ipad im sure) lack of storage, come on 64gb isnt enough. where is the 120+gb models ? wheres my A6 quad core cpu? wheres my 1gb+ ram? Wheres my 12+ megapixel front and rear faceing cameras? Sure the retina display and a new gpu to run it is nice...but nothing more? Come on Apple, lets keep up with the times with the rest of the hardware comeing. You snooze you lose..(flashback, *cough Macintosh)

19. BrEaKBEaT

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    I changed from tele cam to dynamic, which has made a big difference for me, albeit at the loss of more pitch view. I rely more on the radar now to pick passes etc.

20. BrEaKBEaT

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    I thought the new iPad does have 1gig of RAM? 12+ megapixel front&rear cameras... really?? I think the 4S camera they've incorporated is more than enough. If you're serious about photography you'll buy a DSLR, not use an iPad. While Apple's rhetoric bores me to death, it's hard to argue they aren't still ahead of the competition. The new iPad has predictable upgrades over its predecessor, nothing 'amazing', like they'd have you believe. However, a worthy incremental upgrade imo

I'm sticking with my iPad 2, as I bought it to last me at least 2 years, rather than 10months.