The iPhone 6 Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by TapTitanApp, Sep 27, 2014.

1. TapTitanApp

TapTitanApp Active Member

Aug 13, 2014
    unemployed
    NYC
    Hello fellow geeks. Since many of us have gotten our iPhone 6/6+'s already, I figured I'd setup a thread so we could see how things are coming along. I'll go first!

What I like:
    - rounded edges, feels great in the hand
    - lasts way longer (can go 2-3 days without charging)
    - reading text is way easier

What I don't like:
    - only 16 GB...
    - the retina HD displays weren't as picturesque as I expected
    - placement of the home button, I tend to press it while taking a picture.

2. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Sounds like you bought the wrong one if you're complaining about the 16gb

Like:
    128gb
    Bigger screen (though ideally id have liked somewhere halfway between iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 size)
    Slow motion camera
    Touch ID (I moved up from the 4s)
    The thinness.
    The general look and feel
    Improved camera
    General spec bump

Don't like:
    Soft aluminium. I dropped it about a foot and a half and now it's got a ding on it. The 4s was tougher than this.

3. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I only used 6 no 6 plus and I gotta say screen was a let down for me as well and device didn't feel big I was able to reach every corner one handed easily and it wasn't faster at all compared to 5s. It's speaker had more impact. After two minutes I lost my interest since there wasn't much new things to see.

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Why don't you have a case on your $700 phone? :p I have a hard time agreeing that the glass covered 4s is tougher than the metal wrapped iPhones.

I don't own one, but I've set up many of them. The overall build quality is impressive. The new design is a total win, adopting the iPad design language. Just playing a few games on them confirms that bigger indeed is better for us TA members. It's a fine piece of tech. All of that said though, I'm still ecstatic to be on the "S" refresh cycle.

5. TapTitanApp

Aug 13, 2014
    unemployed
    NYC
    This one is the thinnest iPhone yet, probably easier to damage it now. Honestly, people are always dropping their iPhones. If they wanted to really improve from past versions, they should've made the phone more resistant to fall damage.

6. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I have one on order, but it hasn't arrived yet. I prefer iPhones without cases so I only ordered one when I realised how easily damaged this one would be.

Glass is much harder than Aluminium. The iPhone 4s had very tough glass (which I had screen protectors on) and a stainless steel frame. Much tougher than the soft aluminium of the iPhone 6. I'd have happily sacrificed some of the lightness for a tougher phone.

7. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I see tons of cracked and shattered iPhone 4/4s phones and zero shattered aluminum iPhones. You drop glass from any reasonable distance and it will crack or shatter.

Here's an interesting link:
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/09/19/drop-test-iphone-6-videos/

8. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Loving my 6 so far! battery life is even better then the 5s for me. its only 7:30 but I'm at 76% with 4 hours of usage and 10 hours on standby. I've been pulling quite a bit of data from bluetooth with my Pebble so I'm quite impressed.

P.S. to all you 6ers out there, make sure you update your profile to reflect your shiny new phones!

9. GreenAlex96

GreenAlex96 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2014
    I upgraded to the 6 from a 4th gen iPod touch and I'm loving this thing!

Touch ID i great
    Much better batteries
    Can easily run any game out (aside from a couple ios8 issues not yet resolved)
    The 64gb model is cheaper than before
    And obviously the bigger screen

My main issues with it would be the camera sticking out (I understand why though,) and I don't really trust its durability. Luckily both those issues are fixed since I have a case now.

And on a note more related to ios 8, I hate how family sharing was implemented >.<

10. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    If the glass makes the impact dropped from a distance then it probably would shatter, but generally it's the stainless steel rim or the plastic that surrounds the glass that hits the ground first. The plastic can chip a bit, but the steel is strong.

11. becknoyes

becknoyes New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    The 6 was nice, but seemed more like a slightly improved 5s to me. One are that wasn't improved was battery life, and you'll still have to charge it at the end of the day, or more. The 6+ is a whole different animal from a usability/battery performance perspective, and should please those who use their phones primarily for texting/email/net/gaming.

12. TapTitanApp

Aug 13, 2014
    unemployed
    NYC
    Out of curiosity, has anyone legit bent their iPhone 6 accidentally? Honestly, all this hype about it is getting pretty annoying to hear about. My phone is in perfect condition.

13. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Nah .

14. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    Nope, but I have already dropped it. ;)

The whole bending issue is just a bunch of BS. Half, if not most of the people hyping it up don't even have a 6/6+ and never will. That means, they'll never see that it's basically impossible to bend it through normal use. Don't worry though, this idiotic bending trend will die down soon.

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #15 Vovin, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  16. guiltlessspark

Nov 25, 2013
    iPhone 6 Plus has optical image stabilization, which means that you should be able to take steadier still and videos, as well as better images in low-light conditions. Also another advantage of iPhone 6 plus is that the battery last longer and it has bigger screen

17. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I don't think the 6 Plus takes better low-light photos. The only plus it has over the 6 camera-wise is optical image stabilisation.

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Bendgate is the latest attempt for people without iPhones to hate on them.

I actually got tricked by it, though. I read about it and then set my phone on my desk and found that it wobbled if I pressed in the top left corner! Oh no!!! It was bent!!!! But then latter I realized the reason it wobbled wasn't that it was bent, but rather that the camera lens sticks slightly out of the back of the phone. I set the phone flat on it's face and, sure enough, it wasn't bent at all. Still isn't bent. The whole thing is bullshit. And yes I put my phone in my front pocket.

19. chubbypillow

chubbypillow Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    NY
    Iphone 6+ is amazing for gaming. No bents here. I put my front in my front pockets slim fit tapered jeans. Then again i dont purposely put force on it so maybe thats why it hasnt bent. Lets be honest here. If you are going to forcefully bend something it will probably cause damage. Reccommend 6+ over 6!!

20. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Yea gaming is unmatched on a 6 plus.