Free (ad versions) vs paid versions?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dreadwench, Jan 27, 2011.

1. dreadwench

dreadwench Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2011
    What have you had more success with and what type of games where they?

any other opinions welcome.

2. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Free with adds is 26637x better. Why? Because its FREE. And you cant beat free. As long as the adds arent super intrusive, its fine

3. dreadwench

Jan 17, 2011
    I'm thinking maybe it is good to have both because there are people who hate ads full stop, but,then there are people who don't mind ads if they didn't pay for the game.
    Then there are people who will think well it's free it must be crap and won't bother trying, and people who will try it just because it's free. I don't know... I am just thinking. hmmm.

4. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I see. Are you a developer or something?

5. dreadwench

Jan 17, 2011
  6. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Free with ads not in gameplay and in app purchase to remove ads. People expect more quality from a paid .99 game than a free game with a .99 IAP to remove ads, but the free charts are vastly more competitive than the paid charts.

7. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    With a game such as yours you have two good options. LITE version available, with a full priced game also available or you could have a free game with ads, with an option to pay and remove ads. This is how will you get max downloads

8. millsustwo

millsustwo Active Member

Jan 27, 2011
    CHIEF WONKA™
    London
    We have produced three games to date. Very niche and nobody would have heard of them. (they were called .™ ..™ and ...™) we charged 59p from them and made around £10,000 from all three. It wasn't about the money for us, it was about creating simple and entertaining casual games. However we will be releasing the 4th installment as a Free, with ability for users to purchase the adverts out of the game IF they hate them. In order for us to continue to develop (and get better at making passionate games) we need to at least cover our costs. We will be putting the adverts in the Game (at the bottom) and will be seen when you play the 'cool' game. Reason being we need the adverts to be seen, because if nobody wants to remove them the only way to monetize is to have the adverts seen. We will be launching the game on April 1st.

Do you think this is a VERY bad idea? I'm interested to know?
    (i'm not about money, i'm about making great games (or trying this year) and am simply looking at ways to get more users to see it. I feel this way is the best)

9. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    I've got one of your games, I think it's "..." :D.

I don't mind about ads in-game, with two factors:

1. They don't cause any lag or slowdown in game, that just makes me stop playing, and
    2. They NEVER get in the way of the game or me pressing the screen. Just say you had a button near the ad, that was easily to accidentally press, then I'd get annoyed, but if it's just a tilt game like ... is, then I wouldn't mind them being in-game.

10. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    If you get a free version with ads you must make sure to do what sambo110 said to do. Then, if your game is any good, and you advertise about it a bit, it will get downloaded by a fair amount of people. A bonus for you is that it will spark peoples interest in your other games

11. millsustwo

millsustwo Active Member

Jan 27, 2011
    CHIEF WONKA™
    London
    Ha, Sambo110 you are one of the lucky few!! who have tasted dot3. We pushed it out of FreeAppADay a while back which may be why it found you. We believe that people will like the newest game (named DOT5URBO™) which will be a fast paced dot game unlike the three previous.

The game is a simple touch game that moves your Dot up and down.. There may be the occasional accidental advert press if you get too carried away but it certainly isn't designed to press.

Thinking free with IAP to get rid of the advert is good for users and developers. Those that want the super slick graphics without hideous adverts can simply remove them for a small fee, but those that are happy to play (and those that may never have purchased) get to play it anyway. They might like!

12. millsustwo

millsustwo Active Member

Jan 27, 2011
    CHIEF WONKA™
    London
    Thanks for being one of the only people to try DOT3 :) - DOT5URBO™ will be a much more developed 'game', indeed our first true casual game. I want to go free to make it more available to the world, with the aim to get more feedback to help us make better games. We are only just getting into mobile gaming, but love the space... The adverts definitely won't get in the way, they will be seen, and we need them to be seen to make any money at all. (the adverts will be iAds so at east the quality will be high)

13. millsustwo

millsustwo Active Member

Jan 27, 2011
    CHIEF WONKA™
    London
    sorry for the two posts just then! I thought it hadnt worked but I've just seen it put it on page 2!! I'm very new to forums. Want to learn about creating games from the true home of passion. (this place) - ill learn !!

14. dreadwench

Jan 17, 2011
    We put out a paid version and a free version with an ad, ad version is waiting for approval, I never actually thought of the IAP thing.

We're in AUstralia and ads in aps aren't approved here yet so we can't just do an ad version, that would be cutting out our own country from our market and that doesn't seem right.

15. dreadwench

Jan 17, 2011
    Link me to the ... games please, I can't find them

16. millsustwo

millsustwo Active Member

Jan 27, 2011
    CHIEF WONKA™
    London
  17. dreadwench

Jan 17, 2011
    Oh, I can't buy your games anymore :(?

They're not banned, they just aren't approved yet, atleast as far as I know. Should be later this year.

18. millsustwo

millsustwo Active Member

Jan 27, 2011
    CHIEF WONKA™
    London
    why cant you buy them? they are still on sale.. I wasn't aware that advertising isn't available in AUS, are you sure you cant have admob in there?