My petition

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by aboll2009, May 4, 2009.

1. aboll2009

aboll2009 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    School
    Atlantis
    Well TA members, seniors and juniors alike, it's time we banded together and stopped lurkers from taking chances at betas and promo codes that us reliable, experienced members may obtain, which will ultimately make apps better.My petition states the following:

1.Forums should gain a section titled "Promo Codes/Betas"
    2.This section, much like the dev only section, becomes MEMBER ONLY
    3.Members are forced (somehow) to post a nice, genuine thanks with the code they have taken and/or write a review/feedback here or on itunes.

All who agree, give a nice response. If not, please post so the supporters can send you an army of PM's stating "SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER! SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNN!!!:D(I'm not kidding)

2. Glowz

Glowz Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I agree ,,,
    maybe they could just but it in their signatures?

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The thing with developers posting promo codes, is they just throw them out there, no strings attached, to whoever will enjoy the game. I've never seen a developer post that only members of Touch Arcade can use their promo codes, or even asking anything more than if the people who use the promo codes enjoy the game to post a review.

4. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    +1 I agree

5. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
  6. aboll2009

Apr 5, 2009
    School
    Atlantis
    I do realize that, but maybe THEY don't. I'm assuming that they would want their app to be honestly reviewed, wouldn't you?

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If you think a game looks cool, you missed out on the promo codes, and want to leave a "honest review"... Buy the game?

8. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Ugh... I hate Charlie the Unicorn.

This is a bad idea, lurkers will just make accounts to gain access to the thread, and probably will never post.

9. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Ohh true.
    Maybe to people with over 1000 posts?? JK.....

Maybe only over 200 posts?

10. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    We made people work for their promo codes, and got some awesome screenshots of Little Red Sled as a result:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=7629

I've seen a number of other developers hold similar contests, which is a much better use of our precious 50 promo codes, I think. However, it did take us a good few hours of time to run that contest, so maybe other developers don't want to put in the time to do that sort of thing.

11. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    No. Remember Lovelyman? Imagine 100 more of him.

12. CDubby94

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    They would want it honestly reviewed but I think you have to be really naive and innocent to believe that, whether you've spent time on the site or not, if you hand out freebies, people will take advantage of it.

I say make the people work for promo codes or at least have members PM the dev. That work will turn off the vast majority of people who are not willing to put an honest review on the site and/or iTunes. Who's to say that members won't take the code and run as well?

This would just induce more spam to the site because lurkers would create accounts just to up their post count so they can get into that promo code forum.

Bottom line, I say developers should come up with a creative way to promote their game and create interest before actually giving out the promo codes. Hold a contest, ask a trivia question, do something creative to bring your game into the quest for a code. If you make the members work, the chances are greater you'll get an honest, fair review from those who actually receive the code. There's no need for a promo code forum, that wouldn't solve anything.

13. aboll2009

Apr 5, 2009
    School
    Atlantis
    I probably will, but I'm just saying that its a waste of promo codes when that could be 50 good reviews instead of 1 or 2.

This could probably be tracked, and they could be kicked

Keep throwing them at me people, I'll retort every time:D

14. aboll2009

Apr 5, 2009
    School
    Atlantis
    Point taken, maybe the spamming note could be raised to 10 words and so many posts per day. :p

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Not only that, but most developers register and only post a few times. So we'd need to go through and verify who is a developer and add them to a special user group to allow them to post in this special forum. I think we're better off right now where anyone can register and anyone can post.

As far as saving codes only for people who leave reviews, I think most developers would appreciate it much more if you supported their work, bought their game, and if you liked it, left a review.

The promo code for review trading is what made games like Don't Be a Fatty! have solid 5 star rating. Look at how quick it fell back down to 2 stars when the developer stopped offering 50 promo codes once a week in exchange for 5 star reviews.

16. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I say go with the idea of having the dev say, "The first (some number) of senior members to PM me will get a code." This has always seemed to work. Don't have all devs do that, because then we'll get tons of reincarnations of Lovelyman. Have the devs give promo codes to everyone, and then give promo codes through PM. This is what a lot of devs have been doing, and it seems to work. So, I say no new promo section.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

How is it a waste of promo codes if people used them, downloaded the game, and played it? Maybe they didn't like the game and since they got it for free didn't feel it was right to leave a negative review? Promo code giveaways just seem to create iTunes shill reviews which doesn't help anyone.

18. CDubby94

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    If you don't like the game, say it!

Don't let the promo code hold you back, just because you got it for free.

For the good of humanity, speak your mind!

19. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I'm surprised lovelyman hasn't made another account.

20. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    he gave me a promo code. and i gave him 2 star honest review. he wasn't satisfied.