iPhone Malevolence - New Digital CYOA Gamebook for iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CYOAnerd, Mar 30, 2013.

1. CYOAnerd

CYOAnerd Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Hey! I am currently working on a digital Gamebook as part of my final project for my M.Sc. Gaming and Digital Media. I am conducting some research on regular readers and users of digital Gamebooks to get their feedback on what they feel are the best features of digital versions and how they compare so the traditional books.

The book is called ‘Malevolence’ and follows the character Kalem into the underworld to rescue his brother from an evil demon called Abaddon. It consists of 2D turn based (PvE) combat scenes as opposed to the old-fashioned dice-roll based system in most other digital Gamebooks.

It would be a huge help if you could answer some questions and provide any feedback you can. You will receive a free copy of the game on completion in November also.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XLFYJHH

2. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Took the survey... I wish you guys and/or girls good luck! I could always use some more gamebooks!

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Your first question was offensive. Looking at the survey with a cynical eye, it seems more like a data mining operation.

4. CYOAnerd

CYOAnerd Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Im sorry if it seemed offensive we are just trying to get a good indication of our user base and what age group people interested in Gamebooks are! we are in very early stages of production and want to produce something that hardcore fans will enjoy and try bring something new that they will want :)

5. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I was going to do the server but when I read "no dice battles" I'm out mice got all the fighting fantasy and tin man games, books and its the dice battles that I love. Taking them away spoils the whole game book feel if you want my opinion.

6. CYOAnerd

CYOAnerd Member

Mar 30, 2013
    We are not cutting dice rolls out of the game but asking users if they feel there are betters ways of doing it. If enough hardcore gamebook fans are of the opinion that dice-roll based systems should not be removed then we will keep them in

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Actually a lot of the questions you are asking in your survey had been answere in the threads here. Just skim through the threads on Sherlock 1 and all those on the various Gamebook Adventures...

There were also passionate arguments for implementing things this way or that in those threads. That could be useful if you are looking for user feedback as you design your game for the market.

On the otherhand, it might be useless if you just need data for your Masters thesis...

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. CYOAnerd

CYOAnerd Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Thanks I will have a look through here and the main purpose is just to see what the actual readers of game books like so we can design it to their wants and needs.

10. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Actually, I think that the general consensus is that Gamebook Adventures' implementation of digital gamebooks is the current one to beat...

Choice of Games' advantage is that some of their games are linked, in that additional chapters are sold as IAP expansions and continues the plot, remembering all the player's prior choices.

11. CYOAnerd

CYOAnerd Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Our expectation for Malevolence is a game book similar to the Gamebook Adventures series with interactive graphical images and a different combat system to the old fashioned dice roll.

12. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    You can checkout Sherlock1 for alternatives to die rolls in gamebooks.

13. CYOAnerd

CYOAnerd Member

Mar 30, 2013
  14. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Bit late now, but an aside on the way that you originally structured your survey.

First, include an introduction to state the scope, purpose and intended use of the survey. Then include a disclaimer that anyone under the age of 16 (or the age required in your jurisdiction) requires parental approval before completing the survey.

I would avoid, where possible, the use of free-form text boxes unless the answer requires an unstructured response.

Example: question 1. What is your name, age and occupation?
    Far too specific and intrusive. Would be better served - for purposes of data analysis - to remove the need for someone's name (too personal for data analysis purposes) and split the questions and structure the answers through the use of radio buttons.

Remove name and include gender. Structure the answer through the use of radio buttons for user selection.

Break down age into a series of ranges and structure the answer through the use of radio buttons for user selection.

For occupation, include a broad range of standard occupations (there are various government / industry or recruitment websites where you can acquire this information) and structure the answer through the use of radio buttons for user selection.

How is your Masters progressing?