Universal Pocket Planes by NimbleBit - Join Flight Crew #TouchArcade

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

1. alyssacroacia

alyssacroacia Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA
    So...does that mean you have an "old iPhone 3GS" and you're also playing your current game on a different iOS device?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:...W...O...W...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Do you mean...PP crashes every time the jobs refresh?
    So...every 4 minutes?!

2. Andrwsc

Andrwsc Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Yes. If I play continuously, it will crash within a minute or so after I see the "NEW JOBS" banner. Or, if I am doing something else and bring my iPod out of sleep to check on the game, it crashes within a few seconds of doing anything. Every time. :mad:

I've sent an email to the Nimblebit support website. I'll report the reply, if any.

I had a chance to play Pocket Planes on a friend's iPad over the holidays, and it was significantly smoother on that device than on my iPod touch. My suspicion is that the developers don't do very much testing on the iPod touch, so they don't see how bad it is when the game state is at a higher level.

The irony, of course, is that the game is called Pocket Planes, and you can't put an iPad in your pocket very easily...

3. tfrichards92

tfrichards92 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes, that's exactly what it means. I play my main game on my iphone5 and play my testing-ish game on my old 3gs.

4. seattleheli

seattleheli Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Thanks for the advice on the iPhone issue guys, I think I'll just leave it off. That way I might actually get stuff done during the day when I'm away from my computer and not be on my phone slinging planes all the time!

On another note, just reached the "delivered 10,000 passengers" achievement, and bought my 17th plane slot.

5. echastain1977

echastain1977 Member

Jan 10, 2013
    ATL
    Hey All!

Been lurking a bit and thought I would ask some questions.

About half way through Lv21, 108000 coins, 800ish Bux, just bought 15th plane slot

LA-NY-London-Paris-Istanbul
    LA, NY, London fully upgraded

Using (4) Birch for NA
    (3) PJ and (1) Aero for NY-London
    (4) Mowhawks and (2) Sea Knights for Europe

Was planning on moving the MH and SK to event only, moving the BC to Europe, the PJ and AE to NA and starting to buy class three planes planning on Bux farming. Any suggestions on planes?

Unfortunately I am on Moabage, but I do have some stuff I am willing to trade.

(2) Balloon controls and engines
    (3) Huey engines
    (1) Sea Knight Body

I also ended up with (2) Concorde engines from the Paris event, so I would be open to trading one. :D

Thanks for any help!

Mobage - echastain1977

6. green_paper

green_paper Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Vancouver
  7. seattleheli

Nov 28, 2012
    And that's only airlines! Just wait until you see General Aviation and Corporate planes added in there...

8. alyssacroacia

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA
    live PP

WOW!!!:eek:

that's crazy cool! (and maybe a little stalkerish....)

how did you find this?!:confused:

9. Merlion

Merlion Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    #12049 Merlion, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    This is definitely true, and I can confirm this on long experience. In fact, I have made it the basis of my new strategy, which I've been meaning to post for a long time now. I will do this in the next post.

Meanwhile, I can confirm it is very bux-profitable to open up many Class 1 fringe cities as you will find your main Class 3 hubs teeming with fat bux jobs. As long as you have enough Class 1 planes to fly them out, of course.

10. SuperPenguin17

SuperPenguin17 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2013
    I'll give you two Cloudliner for your engine

11. Flysher

Flysher Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Flightaware.com is another good one :) my fiance uses it to see when I'm going to be home lol.

12. CastlePage

CastlePage Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    #12052 CastlePage, Jan 11, 2013
    Get some sequoias. If you trade with SuperPenguin, I suggest sequoias is more useful than cloudliners.

What you need now is more coins -> more planeslots and airports. Before you commence on your bux strategy, work on your coin strategy first until you have enough coins to comfortably buy/upgrade airports and planeslots (preferably 20 slots). Most of the bux strategies detailed in the resources page (see link in my signature) do not earn much coins (at least not mine). But we have more than sufficient coins (or the next plane slot (85+ million) is too expensive to through flying alone) that we don't care if we make a loss flying bux planes.

Merlion and matma92ser report that class 1 airports generate more bux jobs than class 3 cities. I wouldn't know that because I only have permanent class 3 cities :p Let's wait for them to detail their strategy :)

Are you buying cloudliner parts or you already have them? Coz given his situation, I think sequoias will be more useful for him. 2 cloudliners ~ 6 sequoias (in terms of bux needed).

13. seattleheli

Nov 28, 2012
    #12053 seattleheli, Jan 11, 2013
    That is extremely interesting...perhaps I'll open up Nagasaki since it's so close to one of my dual-hubs (Shanghai/Seoul). Hmmmmm...

EDIT: Just opened Nagasaki. We'll see how this works out.

14. Flysher

Flysher Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012

I am on mobage also with 2 sets of concorde controls. Would you want to trade 1 for 1?

Mobage ID is Flysher!

15. alyssacroacia

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA
    off subject

I got this message on my iPod and I know it's off-subject, but I thought I'd share...if y'all don't mind!:eek:

Attached Files:

16. Snowbird

Snowbird Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    A quick stop in Lagos, then over to Anaheim to meet with their new boss!

17. Merlion

Merlion Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    #12057 Merlion, Jan 11, 2013
    The Blimps4Bux Strategy

So here I was, happily chugging along with 30 plane slots and sending my mixed fleet (1/4 Class 3 i.e. Seqs, 1/4 Class 2 i.e. Aeroeagles, 1/4 Class 1 i.e. Mapples and Sea Knights) hither and dither across the globe. Well, flatland as NimbleBit will have it.

This is when I found out Matma's observation above that Class 2 and 3 cities do tend to generate quite a few (if not to say, predominantly) bux jobs with Class 1 destinations. And of course these bux jobs tend to be very attractive if they originate in, say, Sydney and take you all the way to Barrow. You find many 9, 10 and 11 bux jobs that way and I can tell you it's quite satisfying to send a Sea Knight on its way with 50 bux worth of merchandise on board. (I closed Nome after my achievement but think I will open it again so I can get the occasional 12 bux job too.)

From the beginning I was hell bent on getting the 25% bonus (still am, in normal cases) so I had the habit of collecting the bux jobs in LA, Sao Paolo,Dhaka and Jakarta and sending planes with often mixed cargo (as in, both coins and bus) to their destinations at the other end of the world.

Then I discovered Blimps. They're slow, cheap, and cheerful.

You can fill a Blimp with non-matching destinations and send it to the other side of the world with a flight pattern that resembles the Big Dipper and it will still cost you no more than 400 coins. Blimps have one disadvantage: they are slow. But, as it turns out, this can be an advantage too.

Then I exchanged some bux and went all the way to 52 slots.

I can now testify that it is possible to operate 52 plane slots and still stay sane. The game plan is as follows:

I have a mixed fleet of about 20 planes, running pretty much in two patterns:
    - Two main trunk routes between US and Asia, and South America and Asia, respectively. Served mainly by Cyclone Ms, with additional support from Aeroeagles (also M - it's an all M fleet).
    - A bunch of Mapples doing my old game (filling up to sundry destinations, always with 25% bonus), and doubling up as feeders for the trunk routes.

And on top of that I have:
    - 30 Blimps, picking up the green debris and sending it to their rightful destinations.

My strategy as explained before in this forum routinely leaves me with layovers all over the place. I ruthlessly ditch anything that stands in the way of my regular planes arriving with anything less than a 25% bonus. This used to be a bit of a problem, because I would be compulsive in getting another plane WITH 25% bonus to any destination that was getting clogged with bux. So cleaning up was a tedious process.

I now get up in the morning, fill up my Blimps in, say, Australia with any bux job I can find for North America (including South America if I feel like it) and send them on a 7-9 hour journey to deliver around 30 bux each. I round up the ones I find in far flung places where I sent them the previous evening, pick up any bux job I find, and send them back to the 'fringe hubs' (the cities mentioned above). Come evening, rinse and repeat. I could do return jobs but I don't, as I often find the occasional high bux job in the fringe places and I have plenty of Blimps anyway so I don't need to miss them.

Seriously, boys and girls: I regularly have 52 birds in the air and still stay sane. Or at least, not any more insane than I was before :D It's lovely to see 30 blimps humming away during the day on their global milk runs, delivering around 6-700 bux twice daily and meanwhile play a little with the other 20 planes, making even more bux. The entire thing generates at least 1,000 bux on days when I hardly do anything at all except the morning and evening routines (sadly, it happens) or way over 2,000 on a big playing day when I darken the skies.

The great thing is that it costs no extra effort to generate enough 'green debris' for the Blimps to carry away. It happens automatically. In fact, on days when I play a lot there is too much of it, so that I occasionally treat a Mapple or SK like a Blimp and send it on its way full of green and without 25%. It costs between 2,000 and 4,500 coins per flight, and if you do it too much you find you will go below break even on coins. This is no problem of course, since I stilll have a 10 digit sum left in walking money from my previous exchange, and of course generate such an obscene amount of bux that coins will never ever be the problem. Still, it goes against frugality.

Only question left, what to do with al those new bux? More slots? Even with Blimps, I don't think one can handle another 10-20 slots on top of this. Suggestions are welcome! Or NimbleBit, come up with an update including new and exciting ways to spend bux! A simple way ould be to create a new category of planes: hideously expensive ones. These would be rare not because of limited availability, but because they pop up in the market only as extremely expensive parts. Say, a Buxliner (A380 type, 24 seats) for 1,000 bux per part, a Lockheed SR-71 for 2,000 bux per part, a Stealth Cargolifter for 3,000 bux per part, or a Boeing SST (Concorde successor, 12 seats and much faster) for 5,000 bux per part. Eat that, Concorde fliers!

Cheers,
    M.

18. seattleheli

Nov 28, 2012
    Here's my FEDEX cargo plane! You'll notice it's carrying little FEDEX boxes as well.

Attached Files:

19. alyssacroacia

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA

wow, everything's so...W I D E.

I take it you play on iPad?

20. seattleheli

Nov 28, 2012
    Macbook Pro