When Pigs Fly: dev videos

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by BlindAlbino, Nov 14, 2013.

1. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    Hi gang! Here’s a sneak peak at When Pigs Fly, an upcoming mobile game from Blind Albino Studios:

http://youtu.be/SWMKGTxMAOM

(I need to learn how to embed my YouTube videos in here.)
    Thanks everyone! More soon...
    Matt

2. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I watch the whole video hoping for a sneak peek at what the end result might look like on screen. :(. When do we get to see a bit of the game. :)

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I skipped to the end to try and see that too. It kind of feels the first thing you should of shown in the video. No gameplay left me thinking whats the point, no game to wow me. The other people who have done that type of game generally get the wow factor by showing gameplay. I really love the claymation games.

4. BlindAlbino

Dec 19, 2012
    Hi gang! I understand your comments, for sure. Getting the BIG WOW right off the bat is rather common, I suppose. My intention with these posts is to offer up glimpses into our production process as it unfolds, for those who may be interested. These are just early teases placed in the Developer Discussion forums, and as we get further down the production process, you’ll get to see our game come to fruition as it happens. If the chronicled approach is not your cup of tea, I apologize for any time wasted. We’ll post in the Upcoming Games sections when the time is right, but for now we’re just trying to share a little fun and insight.
    And as always, thanks for your time everyone!

5. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I have no problem with development blogging! I do it all the time, just title it that way. I encourage development blogs, they are good for so many reasons.

The term "early tease" created an expectation that you failed to meet because you didn't really tease anything.

6. FatherT!m3_22

FatherT!m3_22 Active Member

Jul 16, 2013
    I agree it's pretty cool to see the whole development progress.

7. Bleau

Bleau Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2013
    One half of MoWOW Studios, an mobile indie game st
    Koblenz, Germany
    Looks great. Really like the patent troll suitcase. I have to agree though, when you said tease, I usually think some footage or visuals from the actual game. Looking forward to see more :)

8. takemuraori

takemuraori Well-Known Member

Video looks great, I love the fact that it gives enough time and respect to every details you highlight. Subconsciously everyone wants to see some gameplay etc, but you here provide a rare chance to get on board of the journey of making a first game, and that is very exciting. Would be cool to know about the studio, where is it, is it Earth, if yes where on Earth, is it Canada? USA? ;-)

Honestly I can’t wait for a new video. I want to know where is all heading )

9. BlindAlbino

Dec 19, 2012
    When Pigs Fly: dev videos

This is not a tease. (Think Magritte.)

Hello again everyone!
    When Pigs Fly video #2 is now ready and waiting to bore you to death.

BE FOREWARNED:
    This thing is OVER 10 MINUTES LONG!
    No gameplay yet.
    Lots of pretentious conceptual blabbing over footage of stop motion photography, some frame by frame pencil animation, and even some dangerous knife wielding.

Special guests include Mecha-G, the anonymous banana, and a brief poetry reading by The Unauthorized Ryan Gosling Notebook!

Here’s the link:
    http://youtu.be/-TPDpFtOgzU

Thank you all for your time and your support!
    More on the way after the new year.

10. BlindAlbino

Dec 19, 2012
    When Pigs Fly: dev video #3

Hello again fillies and fellas!

This is our 3rd dev video for the upcoming game When Pigs Fly.

In this episode, we construct the stage and set pieces for the load screen and title page, along the way we introduce you to the talented, brilliant, and beautiful Seda, cofounder of Blind Albino Studios, and I have a silly 2 hour panic due to my inexperience with sprite sheets in Unity.

No gameplay yet, but we are getting very close my friends! In our next video we hope to introduce you to our great programmer Jon, and (finally!) give you all some early gameplay footage!

As always, thank you all so much for the love and support. We’ve gotten more encouragement than we ever could have hoped for, and it is truly, deeply appreciated my friends.

Much love to the dev communities!
    Sincerely,
    Matt Woods
    Cofounder/Art Director Blind Albino Studios

Blind Albino Studios’ YouTube channel:
    www.youtube.com/channel/UCZfs3K5q3RHtOrWTzscAV8Q

11. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    Looks unique and rather fun ! I do hope you get rewarded for your out of the box approach.

12. BlindAlbino

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks expleo!

We don't kid ourselves about it, we'll be lucky to even get noticed with this one. But it's the long haul that we have in mind, where stringing several unique apps together will hopefully, over time, generate some attention. This being our first project as Blind Albino, we wanted to make a signature product that would represent us well. The next several apps we have planned after this one will not have the same extreme production cycle, but they will still try to be charming in their own unique ways.

Anyhow, thanks again for taking notice my friend!
    Matt

13. BlindAlbino

Dec 19, 2012
    Project formerly known as When Pigs Fly

Hello again everyone! Matt here once more from Blind Albino Studios.

So, we've been working really hard on some new features for our current project, adding a bunch of new elements and assets, and we'll have a new dev video up relatively soon-ish. But in the meantime, a colleague encouraged me to make a note here in the TA forums about the name of our project, and how we'll be changing it once it's ready for release.

The name "When Pigs Fly" was not yet taken when I first designed this project, and when Seda (the beautiful brains behind our team,) looked into securing that name, she learned that it was too common of a phrase to copyright in advance. So now there's bunches and bunches of When Pigs Fly variations squealing around in the mud of the iTunes store, and we've found a more applicable name for our upcoming app... which I cannot disclose yet. (We don't want to repeat this mistake again, do we?!)

So for the time being, we're just referring to our game as The Project Formerly Known As When Pigs Fly. (Or simply TPFKAWPF for short. Ha!)

We're always open to suggestions from you awesome, wise, creative folks as to how we should disseminate info to the public for the time being, seeing as how we can't yet tell you the new name, but we still want to be able show and tell with you guys. I feel like a total forum noob (because I basically am one,) since I don't know if I can change the original title of this thread, or if I should simply start a new thread once we have more to show... Any and all ideas are welcome!

And for the record, we are NOT accusing anyone of copying us, our ideas, our name, etc. We simply got beaten to the punch on a game title that was bound to be used sooner or later. Seriously folks, we're not crying foul, we're just looking for help on how to make the appropriate adjustments here in the forums.

Thank you all for your continued support, and we look forward to showing you more very soon!
    Matt

14. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Go to itunesconnect and create an app with your name to protect it. You can do this without uploading the app.

Also I believe you can do the same with google play, but I haven't really tried.

When pigs fly is a pretty common phrase so I doubt you revealing it had anything to do with it being taken.

15. BlindAlbino

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks Destined!

Yeah, we aren't trying to claim we were copied. But now we aren't exactly sure what to do with this thread. Can we somehow edit the title of this thread after the fact?

16. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I am sure a mod could if you asked them.