Should Monster Hunter Freedom Come to the iPhone/iTouch?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SoCal_Sponger, Mar 28, 2009.

1. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    #1 SoCal_Sponger, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
    Do you guy think MHF should come to the iPhone? It looks like a great rpg--I was about to get a PSP after MHF2 came out--and I would love to play it with touchscreen/accelerometer. It had like 400+ hours of gameplay (300 missions) with thousands of weapons and armor, and most importantly, it had 4 player wifi. I think it would be a great port with huge success if they did it for the iPhone; graphic-wise it looks like it could be ported.

Heres more info on the game (I doubt anyone knows about it):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Freedom_2
    http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65706

2. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Would be nice, but I'm not sure if the iDevice can handle the control system without actual buttons you can get a grip on and not have to look at.

3. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    #3 Ravenblack, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
    That is one serious hardcore title. Best hunting sim ever. :)

You can't squeeze that action into a smaller screen than the psp imho. At times even the psp screen feels cramp.

I played MHF2 for a while, the later levels require coop play although it's not impossible if you have the skills to bring down a monster yourself. Monster Hunter is not an rpg in the conventional sense, it's an action adventure title. Your equipment gets upgraded when you can get the materials for it from hunting but your character never levels up iirc. The game is totally dependent on player skills alone.

The hundreds of hours of gameplay come about because to get/upgrade to some uber equipment, you sometimes have to be willing to kill some monster over and over again just to get the parts you need.

I think the i-touch/iphone lacks the controls and battery life to handle this. The battles aren't short sometimes.

4. 8bitgeorge

8bitgeorge Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Student
    Mexico
    As a HUGE Monster Hunter fan, I'd really like for it to be ported to the iPod touch/iPhone, however it would be a tremendous work for a port and I don't see it happening.

By the way, it's only fun when you play locally with 3 other people.

5. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    you know, have you ever seen the graphics of Seven Swords Prologue? :p If it would be like that, it'd be AWESOME.

6. Bdan11191

Bdan11191 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Not unless they add in a much needed lock-on feature.
    Lack of that pretty much crippled the game for me, personally.

7. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    You call that awesome? :D

:rolleyes:

8. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    I love this game ----have both 1 and 2. This is one game that needs responsive buttons and dpad ---so as much as I would love this game on the ipotch --- I dont think it would control very well. The game requires too mch presicion.

9. maurice2202

maurice2202 Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Please, please, MH!!! :)

10. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm going to have to agree with parranoya. I can't see myself playing this game on a touch only based system. Can't wait for MH Unite... 6/23! Hopefully Ad Hoc Party is incorporated into the game.

11. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA

I was a hardcore fan of this game, had 450+ hours on MHF2 on the PSP and soloed the whole game..... I don't think the Ipod could handle this, too much and pretty complicated. Controls would be insanely hard....

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I think it needs to happen

3.0 allows external controls so it's perfect for a MH branded controller/battery

I'd love to see some optimization so that it could play (with limited capacity) over EDGE which will keep the battery usage down to a bare minimum

13. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #13 GDSage, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009

Having put in 400 hours into the latest version, hitting the highest rank and conducting many speed runs I have to ask, why would you want MH to be awful? Monster Hunter needs tactile controls, not just tactile control but enough controls. A means for movement, camera control (cc is fundamental to MH, to remove it would be to remove a big part of the game), three action buttons, draw weapon / use item button, dodge button, context button. That control scheme of MH is already at its streamlined best, so how would that work on a touch screen?

Monster Hunter is no different to a fighting game, where the feedback from pressing actual buttons is fundamental to compiling the inputs necessary for the strict timing windows.

The only chance of MH being on iphone now would be to have a cut-down, stripped version, in which case that isn't Monster Hunter.

As for the poster that stated it needs lock-on... You couldn't miss the point of the series further if you tried. Lock-on would completely mess up the balance of the game, which breaks down to many things..

1) Part of the skillset in MH is properly judging positioning both in standing and facing positioning, as well as judging distance in 3D. You may want an easier game but not all of us want mindless combat as seen in too many games that employ lock-on. Part of the experience in MH is one false move can equal death, even down to not position yourself properly before you strike. It is a game completely about skill, lock-on would take away a lot of this.

2) The game revolves around taking down monsters of which are made up of dozens of different parts. Each part of the monster having its own resistance as well as chance of reward when broken. Being able to dynamically target these different parts is key to the game. Lock-on (a strict mechanic) would undermine this dynamic nature, and if anything make the game impossible to play. Nothing beats being able to manually position and target you strikes.

3) the battles are very dynamic, the monsters are often large and never stop in one place at a time. Lock-on is quite a limited means of camera perspective, when the locked on view is moving erratically the camera view from the lock-on can mess up, no matter how well implemented (this is true of the best examples of it in games). A second of messup from the camera = death. That isn't hyperbole. The whole game, whether you make or break it depends on seconds, sometimes miliseconds. Like I already said, MH is very like a fighting game, the timing windows are of a second and less. Nothing beats a camera view than one you are in full control of.

Some people don't understand that MH is about giving the player complete control and complete freedom over their hunter, and as such the whole game is designed with this in mind. Having aids, such as lock on would compromise that design and worse yet, make it something other than the Monster Hunter millions know it as.

14. MyLilPWNY

MyLilPWNY Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    It's a nice idea but really think about how many buttons there would be on screen but atleast we can look forward to MHF Unite in a lil while
    Time to dust off the ol psp lol

15. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Why would they ever release this game for the PSP when the most they could charge for it is $9.99, a price which 3/4 of the people on this board would wait to drop to $2.99. Monster Hunter will NEVER come to the Itouch/phone.

16. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I thought about it and although it would be cool there would be no way to to successfully set up the controls. I have over 400 hours on MHF2 on the psp and like falloutmike went the whole game solo. If they put in lock on that would ruin the game. It's a game that requires a lot of skill.

17. sconethief

sconethief Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    no.. the control would suck, sorry, i'm also a big monste hunter fan but I disagree, unless capcom can find a better contol scheme.

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Why does everyone keep saying the control scheme will be terrible on screen?

the 3.0 update allows for external controls!

Capcom could make one that you get for free after buying the game, maybe even buy it beforehand on their website. An order form could be linked to in the app as well with a check to make sure it isn't a pirated copy (secret exit did this with the free soundtrack in Zen Bound). so you might have to wait a bit and play with crappy controls for only a few days til you get your controller.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/12/icontrolpad.jpg
    (image is too big to put in the thread)

19. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    External controls to work for MH is a pretty big "if" especially giving away an external controller. In any case that still wouldn't work because you'd end up with a split market, of haves and have-nots which would result in many not having a chance of playing as well as others.

20. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    and capcom is porting some of it's IP's to idevice right? and i think MHF is a capcom IP so... :)