I just need some straight answers regarding ios6

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Greyskull, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Does ios 6 cause problems with apps not specifically updated for it? I'm still trying to figure this out. iOS 5 plays fine with nearly any app of any age, and I don't quite understand what changes are involved that would break non-updated apps.

Also, I heard that app updates take place automatically...is this true? Even on my PC I update apps manually because it sometimes seems as if 50% of developers or publishers are hell bent on squeezing another IAP buck out of an app that wasn't originally designed to operate that way...or throwing in an iAd banner post release.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    No apps do not update manually.

So far my biggest complaint is the new AppStore, it's just slow and to snazzy; I prefer the ease of use that the previous one had.

3. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    A lot of my apps seem to be working fine on iOS 6 without an update. Some however, do crash or just don't work at all. In my case it isn't many, luckily. I have a 64Gb iPad and a 64Gb iphone both quite full with apps, games etc. and most seem to work as they did before.

4. Wow, you are lucky, two 64 gb idevices. I'm jealous. While I do have a 64 gb new ipad, would love to have a 64 gb iphone 5, then I could throw some of my junk programs on that. Really jealous...

Most of my apps are working fine, except for age of zombies. Some others weren't working, but they were fixed via updates.

Yeah, the new app store is cool looking, but way slow. Also, don't like how they have a small window up for each app, there's no way to go full screen right? And I don't like how the new releases section is gone.

Do like the installing in the background, and not having to out in a password for updates.

Hate the new ios maps.

Hate how there is no Youtube app, even though now I use Jasmine and Tubebox, so guess I'm fine.

So a lot of minuses with some pluses. Not that really big of an update really.

The iphone 5 though, I played with at the Apple store, and it is much better. Mainly the weight and size, but the screen size finally went up. Yeah! While I wish they went to 4.3 inches or so, I look forward to it. And I like the back, hated the glass backing of my iphone 4. And the 4G LTE is so fast!

So, not really impressed with ios6, only thing I am glad is that there weren't more problems with apps crashing, and glad that companies are putting in more updates nowadays to fix a lot of past problems. The iphone 5 looks cool though, can't wait to get it next May when I can upgrade.

5. I have a question that needs a straight answer.

Did battery life improve with ios6? Some beta testers stated that battery life dramatically improved, posts I've seen recently seem all over the place, some saying better some saying worse.

On my new ipad after ios6, I almost have to say about the same. How about you all?

6. PodCubed

PodCubed Active Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Australia
    I'm personally finding it's not much different - and it seems there's a lot of posts which mention that it's gotten worse or stayed the same. Possibly people running the map app to see what the fuss is about :p

7. WhiteSponge

WhiteSponge Well-Known Member

some apps don't work well with iOS 6. Those are the ones that require updating ~

and yes... apps don't update automatically by themselves

8. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Since updating to iOS 6 on my 'New' iPad, the battery seems about the same. If it is any better or worse then it is not enough to notice. I have the iPhone 5 which obviously came with iOS 6 so can't comment on that. However the battery time is noticebly better than the battery life on my 4S.

9. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Good thing about the updates...maybe the information I'm thinking of relates to syncing or something like that.

10. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Well, if your a heavy gamer, your 4s probably lost some of its capacity over time. I know my phone discharges more quickly now than when I purchased it...though I do have a lot of apps which add options in the "settings" widget.

That, if not already dealt with in 6.0, I would hope to see addressed in a 6.x.x update. Most of the apps which place themselves, without asking, in my iPhone "settings" page don't need to. Some are even in there with a blank page when you check to see the options of the app.

I understand having a serious synthesizer app in the iOS settings, since an app of that type can operate outside of the normal iOS functions; midi over wifi, controlling other hardware or other apps through virtual midi, using the iPad camera connection kit to send commands to non apple devices, etc.

Having a game or app use the settings panel for something as banal as mute, language selection, or even just listing the version number is, IMO, a seriously bad practice by whomever coded the app.

11. hotpotty

hotpotty Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Australia
    For what it's worth, the Game Centre app on my iPod touch 4G has not loaded since the update. Dunno what happened there.

iOS6 downloaded wirelessly on my iPod itself.

Hope Apple can fix this issue soon.

Anyone else have this problem, or just me?

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I had this problem. I bit the bullet and eventually did a full back up, then a restore and it's been working since. Gamecenter seems to load much faster.

Actually, overall, ios6 for my iPod touch feels much snappier. *knocks on wood* So far, I haven't gotten the all the random freezing like with all the iOS 5 versions.

13. hotpotty

hotpotty Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Australia
    Mate! Thank you so much - it works (kinda with the exception of the App Store - it likes to crash (and it thinks I am using the New Zealand store for some odd reason) - but thanks :)

14. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Haha..congrats. My iTunes store crashed even after the restore.. But all of a sudden one day it started working and didn't crash anymore...