Favor Regarding Locking threads.

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by mlkaufman, Sep 17, 2009.

1. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Hi. I love that the moderators are locking duplicate threads and deleting off-topic posts from threads (including mine), but could I ask one favor.

When you lock a thread because it is a duplicate of another one, can you add a post at the end with the link to the existing thread. That way people don't have to go searching for it.

What do you think?

Regards, Michael

2. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    This should already be the current practise.

However, sometimes a link is not needed when the existing (or first) thread is already much more active (and hence on page 1). For example, when a big game comes out, we typically have 3-4 threads coming out at the same time announcing that one game. It will be pretty easy to find the one open thread.

In any case, if you are lost and find a thread without a link, just report the post (click on the little red triangle on the top right) so that a mod can insert a link to the existing thread.

3. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Its not that it is hard to find the correct thread, but if there are four or five of them, it could turn into a fair amount of trial and error since from the front page you can't tell which one is locked.

Also, if you are subscribed to a thread that is then locked, you will get a last notice saying the thread is locked and here's where to go to continue the conversation. Otherwise you might just think the conversation had died.

Thanks, I will do this.

Regards, Michael