Release Date/New Releases

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by flaghippo, Dec 8, 2009.

1. flaghippo

flaghippo Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Scotland
    Hello!

I've got a game coming out any day now (been submitted for review) - All Fridges Are Psychotic, plug plug. Anyway, I've seen differing opinions online on what the best practice is for setting your release date. I've read that the "New Release" list on the App Store is ordered by date approved regardless of the actual date released. So, in essence, you shouldn't hold back for any time once your app is approved.

Anyone had any recent experience with this?

Thanks!

Plug, plug - http://flaghippo.com/

2. When Charmed Xmas was released, Apple set the Release Date to Dec 2, 2009, which was correct.

We can only hope that they have finally figured out how to do this reliably.

Still, the best advice I got was the following. After submitting a game, get up every morning and set the release date to today's date. That way iTunes shouldn't remove your app from sale (as it will do if you set a date in the future), and if your app gets approved today, then the date will be right whether Apple sets the release date the old way or the new way.

Unless of course they decide to just set a random date in the past to mess with you. ;)

3. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #3 Flickitty, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    The App Store has changed its policy regarding New Apps and Release Dates. Right now, I *think* New Apps are based on the approval date, regardless of what your release date is set to in iTunes Connect.

This first Approval date follows your app regardless of any updates- so it isn't possible to submit an update and get viewed as a New App (this is the way it worked before).

You say that you submitted your app- when was that? Apple had a notice that all Apps needed to be submitted by Nov 24th in order to guarantee approval by Dec 25th. Within iTunes Connect, you can vew the status of your app- if is says 'In Review' that means you should see a notice within a day or two.

We submitted our update on Dec 2, and it is currently in review. However, this is an update, not a new app. So we went into the review status pretty quickly despite the busy holiday season.

4. flaghippo

flaghippo Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Scotland
    Thanks folks, that's great advice. I submitted my app for review last Thursday. It is currently "In Review", which seems quite quick seeing as I missed that deadline. Fingers crossed it gets approved and out there in time for Christmas!

Thanks again!

5. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

If you set your release date when you like, your app is released on that date (provided it is finished being reviewed) and will appear in the New Release section for that date.

We did it with Halp! and it worked perfectly. Being able to control your release date also helps you coordinate marketing. Double plus good!

6. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Press Start Studio
    #6 Phil, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
    Well it seems there is some kind of 'lag' as of now regarding games that are features in the "what's new" list: our game Twin Blades was released december 7th and we still haven't appeared in the "what's new" list.

7. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    A quick update: one of my friends just got his game approved, but it did now show up in the new app list *without* manually setting the release date. I also expected this is performed automatically nowadays, but it seems that it's not always the case.

Besides, in my case it took more then 3 days to get the "Ready for Sale" e-mail after the status changed to "In review". It was an update for Libra, not a new game. Anyway, it was the quickest review, so I don't complain.

Btw, I submitted a new game yesterday, so eagerly waiting for the status change. ;)

@Flickitty: you put together a great game! My son really likes it (unfortunately he plays Flickitty more often then Libra! :p)

8. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Could that have been because he'd set the release for a later date?

It's beginning to sound like Apple may have finally fixed this problem. Which is excellent as it means we'll finally be able to coordinate marketing with a *real* release date, instead of the notorious, "should be out in december-ish" :p

9. softak

softak Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Apple approved my app, but is not in the list of new apps, but on app's page Release date is "Dec. 10 2009".

Tried to reset date on iTunesConnect, have error: "No changes have been made. Please make your changes or click "Cancel""

Looks like Apple can not fix anything.

10. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

When we released Halp! we put it in for review on 11/5, it was approved for release on 11/20 but we had previously set the release date in itunes connect for 11/25.

When 11/25 came around, it was in the new release section with a release date of 11/25, just as we wanted.

So there you go.

11. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    That list is not for new apps. It's for apps that Apple decides to feature. Just happens that a fair number of them are new. Getting on that list is like winning the lottery, and your odds are about the same.