Is Tetris worth it?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Lukearcade22, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Lukearcade22

Lukearcade22 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Student/Young Video Game Developer
    United Kingdom
    I want to buy Tetris for the ipod touch...

but alot of reviews says it crashes, and that is putting me off. But i am quite a big fan of the Tetris series.

From your point of view, is Tetris worth it and why?

2. ipressbuttons

ipressbuttons Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    If your a big fan of such a massive well known game then there's no reason to ask. Get it

3. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I am a huge fan of Tetris, from the old NES days. By the time I got my iPod, Tris was long gone. I eventually coughed up $8 for EA's Tetris on an impulse buy.

I'd say it's OK. If you really want Tetris on your device, it's probably worth it at $5. It's pretty polished, and the controls are as good as they're going to get (as opposed to, say, the controls in Tatonic that I just couldn't get the hang of). Sometimes, I accidentally swipe a piece into the wrong place. Ugh! You have to be careful, but it'll happen from time to time.

The two things that I do not like are the absence of the original music and the obscene load times. The music is very "new age-y". It is the opposite of what I want to hear when I play Tetris. Inexplicably poor decision on that one. (I've downloaded some Tetris theme song MP3s from the iTMS, but it's not quite the same since the music doesn't speed up with you).

The load time and all the intro pop-ups are what keep me from playing this game more often. I understand that a game like this might need extra load time... but I absolutely can't stand that there is no "quick play" mode. Every time you select a new game, it asks you whether you're sure (like really, really sure!) you want to start a new game. YES. The answer is always YES -- that is why I clicked NEW GAME.

All in all, I think it's worth having if you're a Tetris fan. The gameplay is pretty good. And I have experienced NO crashing to date (knock on wood!!!). But I can't say I play it as often as I'd like :( considering it was $8 and I'm a long time Tetris fan.

4. wow

no original music and with the speed-up?

no sale :[

5. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    It's tetris... I don't know how much innovation you expect for it. LOL

If you like it so much, get it, lmao.

6. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I vote no. It's really hard on my battery and drains it super-fast. That may just be me. But when I am out and about there are other things I can do on my Touch that last much longer.

7. rojaz

rojaz Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Network\Server Technician
    Leeds, UK
    I vote yes.

i never had the original tetris on gameboy til i was like 10 and didn't play it much
    but love this verison, i never hafve music on so that isn't an issue

takes a while to get used to the precise swipe down without getting it to move slightly

but very good game
    worth the £3

8. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Yes. Just go buy it. If you like Tetris, you'll like this. Search is your friend. Everytime you don't search for a topic, a kitten dies.

9. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I HATE it when the people leave the thread open and don't tell us if the bought it or not:mad:

10. Lukearcade22

Lukearcade22 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Student/Young Video Game Developer
    United Kingdom
    sorry about that

i am glad to say i bought it

Is there any unlockables?

POSITIVE: Great Controls, Replay Value, Addictive

NEGATIVE: ONLY 2 MODES!?, Not the original tune!

Sorry Pablo19, forgot about the topic :eek:

11. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Thank you! ;)