iPhone A Long Way Home - Coming Soon to iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jonmulcahy, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonmulcahy

jonmulcahy Well-Known Member

After 8 mths of development and many false starts, I'm FINALLY ready to take the wraps off a game I've been working on since last August. It's called A Long Way Home. In this game you play as an astronaut who is stranded out in space. By collecting Dark Matter, you can open portals that warp you closer to home. You can only jump 1 light year at a time, and you're 100 light years from earth. So, you guessed it. There are 100 levels in this game.

In the video below, you can see the main menu system: selecting control schemes, toggling gamecenter / music and the level select system.

The levels are laid out in stages. Each stage is a 'galaxy' of 10 levels. Each new stage introduces a new hazard you need to get around. Some are easy, some are very hard.

If all goes well I'll be submitting this game June 1st. I designed this game with the MacApp store in mind as well, so if all goes well, it will be launching simultaneously in both stores. That's all that is left to tweak. Part of my marketing plan is to release GameCenter updates to 5 older games with a link to this game, and make them free.

For some reason YouTube kills the colors of this game, I don't know if I'm encoding it wrong or what, but the colors are more vibrant, and the fade at the beginning is smooth.

Anyways, hope you enjoy it!

2. jonmulcahy

#2 jonmulcahy, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
    submitted both iPad and Mac App versions today.

some hq screenshots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    While I commend your efforts, I can't help but notice that this looks nothing more than a re-skinned version of Halfbrick's game which initially came out on the PSP, and later on the AppStore... can't remember the name.

The point of the game was the same - you're piloting a space ship, collecting astronauts scattered throughout various levels and eventually navigating yourself to the "Warp Gate" to end the level.

Please correct me if my judgement is incorrect and/or how this game differs?

4. jonmulcahy

#4 jonmulcahy, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
    never even heard of it, don't own a psp.

edit: just looked it up. its called blast off. i can see why you'd think its similar, but the gameplay is different. in blast off you 'blast off' from a planet and use your afterburners to adjust your trajectory. in my game you jump in straight lines from asteroid to asteroid trying to find the correct order to collect the items.

blast off is more of a physics styled gameplay.
    a long way home is more of a puzzle styled game

5. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    It's on the iOS as well - do check it out.

6. jonmulcahy

the mac version went into review this past weekend. I'm hoping they iPad version follows suit so they can both launch this thursday.

Some new information: this game has a bunch of GameCenter leader boards, completion time for each stage, and another one for the total time it takes to complete the game.

7. jonmulcahy

[​IMG]

:)
    It will be available this thurdsay!

8. jonmulcahy

Full Description
    You have been stranded 100 light years from Earth, can you survive the long way home?

After a catestrophic ship explosion, you must make your way home 1 light year at a time. Encounter exploding asteroids, teleporting dark matter, comets and more on your epic journey home.

A Long Way Home is a action / physics / puzzle game set in space. Making you way through 100 levels across 10 stages you must jump from asteroid to asteroid collecting enough dark matter to open a portal to the next level.

Featuring:
    - GAMECENTER Leaderboards for each stage
    - 100 Levels
    - Physics Style Gameplay
    - 3 Control Types (Accelerometer, Hot Zones and Onscreen Buttons)
    - Stunning Graphics
    - Fantastic Ambient Music

9. jonmulcahy