Neil Young: iPhone game development compared to Wii's.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Chase, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
  2. whooley

whooley Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    I agree wholeheartedly. If all the iPhone gets are ports from other platforms, it will fail as a games platform.

It needs games designed with the control-scheme in mind (touch & motion).

3. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

i agree with the part that game designers should design game specifically for the iphone and not just porting games from other platform. The iPhone offers different kind of ways or experience to play which is totally unique and should build on that strength. No d-pad or extension or whatever shouldn't be a handicap for iphone gamers!

I personally like using the iphone accelerometer (did i spell that right again?) to play some of the games. Others might look at you like an idiot with a phone but if it's fun then who cares right?

Everybody is crazy in this world anyway not just iphone gamers ha!

;)

4. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Agreed... Although some games need swipe and hold to control movement not tilt, and changing the default setting to dual analog pads for brothers in arms works very well indeed. Feels very PS2 like with the dual virtual analog sticks. I'd be hard pressed to find a better control scheme for this type of game. I haver played the ds version, but how would you, would suck without analog control IMO

5. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

I prefer the first setting on BIA ..although I haven't really tried the other type of control. They should make the control more transparent or maybe put in a map or something to 'disguise' the dual analog pads cause it looks damn ugly. ha ha.

But, I like the mission in BIA. First true FPS for the iPhone!
    :cool:

6. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    #6 Chase, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
    Except for the fact that in order to be a FPS it has to be, you know, first person. And also, unfortunately, Cube took that spot of being first with it's un-thought-through controls and horrible framerate; though it's really just a demo for the most part. I guess there's still the title of the first playable FPS. :rolleyes:

And everyone's saying that the dual analog sticks are the easiest for control. I don't have BIA yet (I'm concerned it may be too short...?) so I couldn't tell you which I prefer. It's funny to say you prefer a control scheme but haven't tried any others. :D