How to get good exposure for your game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by zaqualieff, Dec 30, 2009.

1. zaqualieff

zaqualieff Active Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Hi guys,

I have recently released a game called 'Trace It' on the iPhone and am currently trying to devise good ways of getting it some exposure.

The game concept is relatively unique and quite fun if you like an accuracy challenge. Everyone who has tested it so far has come back quite positive about the whole experience so I guess the product is something people like once they give it a try.

The problem I have at the moment is getting noticed in the sea of games (often clones of eachother) out there.

Apple don't really make it that easy for anyone to find interesting content and a lot of games I imagine fall by the waist line simply due to the sea of apps out there.

I'm basically after some advice really, should I do a lite version of the game? I have not seen a direct correlation between someone releasing a lite version of their product and sales so far, I could be wrong though (I'm still a noob to marketing).

Another option is to drop the price to a dollar instead of two which I guess would make it pop up on anyone's radar who is after a nice quick fix at a low price...

But then the product has not been out that long and maybe I simply need to market in a different way or something :)

Any of your thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated and well received indeed.

I look forward to reading your responses :)

Have a great new year!

Kind Regards,

Kim.

P.S. I dont want to plug my product on this thread as there is another thread for my game elsewhere on these forums, simply search the name :)

2. Chapperz :D

Chapperz :D Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    England
    well talking about it on a place like touch arcade is a good start. btw u got a video of your game? just getting it noticed and boosting it into the top 100 will boost it's sales. just anything to get it shown.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #3 MidianGTX, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    You can at least do this ;)

Trace It: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=35992

Also, we get loads of developers discussing this kinda stuff, so the "iPhone and iPod Touch Developers" section of the forum probably has a lot of good info by now from people with experience. I usually direct people over there but of course asking here is also good because consumer opinion is important too :)

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I like Trace It. It's a unique game. I think that a game like this certainly needs some kind of exposure to allow more people to see what is different about it's gameplay than the thousands of other games on the AppStore. I'm just not sure whether a "lite" game is the answer...

5. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Every developer should have a game video for their game. It's not necessarily going to make your game a success... but it lets people actually see the game.

I don't understand why anyone is releasing a game without a video these days.

arn

6. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Very good advice from someone who knows iDevice gaming;)

7. zaqualieff

zaqualieff Active Member

Dec 7, 2009
    #7 zaqualieff, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    Good idea my friend, I'll see about making one later today.

Do you think I should do it myself or is it better to get someone impartial to do it so it's a fair look at the game? (although I guess I would be a lot more thorough...maybe..lol)

I also have a load of promo codes that I have been trying to use to get people to review the product on the app store but it seems difficult to distribute them given the amount of leeching that seems to be going on :)

If anyone is up for it btw, I'm happy to give you a code to have a bash, I guess it would have to be something like to members only with more than 15 posts or something? What are your thoughts?

Kind regards,

Kim.

8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Manchester, England
    #8 TheSeldomSeenKid, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
    Hi Kim, I'm Elliot :)
    I've just looked at your game on the app store (iPhone version) and personally I think it's the lack of detail In your app info that's unfortunately letting you down. Remember: more people find games on the app store than on websites. For example, my mum browses the app store regularaly, but never the net for iPhone apps. Anyway, try something catchy, that draws you in. A great example is Flight Control. In the info (when it first came out, they've changed it since then) it said something like this:

Ever fancied taking control of LA airport's traffic control in your coffee break?

Now, how cool does that sound?!
    Another great thing about flight control was the wording. At the end it says "so sit back, fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride!" or something similar. It's telling you to do something, with a phrase that many people have heard before. It gets you in the mood, it makes you want to do it.

So, in my opinion only of course, I'd rewrite your app info. Here's what i'd do...

Try to sell your game more, don't just list what's in your game, draw everyone in. Let their imaginations fly! I remember as a child books that were just like your app, they had a faint picture and you drew over it with your pen. Try to relate to that somehow.

"Trace-It is a game for all ages that puts your tracing and accuracy skills to the test."
    How about:
    Trace-It is an exciting game for everyone between the ages of 2 to 100! Test your accuracy, tracing and steady hand skills as you compete for the world title with online leaderboards. Also improve your drawing skills too, with Trace-It.

I really like your next paragraph about improving hand eye co-ordination but include "test" aswell.
    Personally, I think I have good hand eye co-ordination so why would I improve it? I'd much rather test it to see how it compares to the rest of the world! That's why you need to include test! :)

Features:
    Easy level- My young daughter/ son loves interracting with my iPhone so I designed the easy level ideal for toddlers aged (age) to (age) who are rapidly growing up and looking to build and learn their hand-eye co-ordinations necessary for everyday life.

Medium level- Perfect for pre-teens to compete with themselves, and the rest of the world, for the top score!

Hard level- Designed for those who really want to show off their skills to the rest of the world! Do you think you've got what it takes to be the world champion?

Well, it's 1:45am so I'm gonna stop there. I do think Trace-It looks a good game, so I'll probably pick it up in the morning. Oh, last thing. In the description write a bit of the positive feedback you've been recieving.

Hope this helps
    Ell*

9. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
  10. zaqualieff

zaqualieff Active Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Hi Elliot, tis a pleasure to meet you.

What an excelent post indeed with some fantastic reccomendations and observations :)

I really appreciate the comments and posts you have all made so far, it's really nice to have such feedback!

I will take your advice and re-write my app description in the store in the morning so it's a bit more catchy and try to draw a crowd in so to speak :p) I might have to borrow some of your phrases if that is okay with you? :p they are well written and just the job!

I have also added my app to the New Year bonanza that Andy is setting up, hopefully it will make it in time. From his response to my email it sounds like it will make it in, poor guy is snowed under :)

Time for me to hit the sack sadly, but I look forward to reading more posts tomorrow.

This site is verry cool, I'm glad I found it. Everyone has been great and it's a been nothing but a pleasure so far.

If we dont chat between, have a great new year everyone :)

Kind Regards,

Kim.

11. shawntim

shawntim Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Male
    one of the latest trend is instead of releasing a lite version, release a free version of the game, but with limited levels. u can set an in-app purchase to allow purchase of the full levels.

12. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Manchester, England
    Glad it's helped :) what's this new year's bonanza thing? I'm intrigued!

Ell

13. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Make a Lite version, give out promo codes or make a thread about it here.

14. zaqualieff

zaqualieff Active Member

Dec 7, 2009
    The new years bonanza is basically a series of games at half price for a few days over new year so people get the chance to test out some of the games nice and cheap.

99c for most of them which is not bad at all really, and why not eh :)

I think the guy who has set it up has vetted the products so there shouldnt be any tosh ther (at least I don't think so) :)

The 30 games arelisted here : http://www.newyearappblowout.com/

If anyone downloads 'Trace It' btw, I would love to hear your thoughts so please send me a PM.
    I want to constantly improve the product so I'm keen to hear your thoughts for improvements or even new uses for the idea. really do need your imput :)

Kind Regards,

Kim.