How do you feel about iPad only?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iqSoup, Mar 4, 2014.

?

Is iPad only a big deal?

1. Yes, it's a big deal to me.

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. No, not that big of a deal to me.

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    We are currently developing a cowboy-styled steampunk RPG called Age of Grit. You can check out the thread here. I know there's a lot of iPhone only gamers out there and we don't want them to be left out. But I'm not sure if the game's UI is going to work very well on the limited real estate of an iPhone screen. Then again--maybe we can figure something out.

So my question is how big of a deal is it to everyone here if a game is iPad only? I assume if you don't have an iPad it would be an issue, but maybe there's some people out there with iPads who still like it when a game is on both platforms. Either way: what do you think?

Learn more about Age of Grit.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I hardly ever buy ipad only games, the only one i can think of is Baldurs Gate. SW KOTOR was eventually made universal and thats got a lot of icons etc.

I think its a bold move going ipad only as others have said you cut out a huge market, ipod touch/iphone market etc.

The game looks great and i love RPG's (Aralon/Ravensword etc), they all work very well on a small screen.

I hope this is universal but like i say its a bold move to go ipad only i think

3. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    If I had an Air, I wouldn't mind but I've been stuck with my iPad 2. I currently rarely buy iPad-only games because things just look and run better on my iPhone 5 which I also happen to bring with me everywhere.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Same for me, i do love my ipad but like you say my iphone goes with me everywhere so i just tend to do most of my games on my iphone

5. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I don't play RPG's because I don't have an iPad. If I owned one, I'd start playing RPG's. I think that is the case with most iPhone/touch users. They only play RPG's on the iPad. But a universal app is welcome over just an iPad only app.

6. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I mostly game on my iPad anyway. When I do want to game on my phone, there are more than enough games which do work really well on the small phone screen, so I have no desire to try playing games which work on my phone, but are a struggle to play on such a small screen. So for me it just depends on the game. If you think you'd have to compromise a lot to get the game to work on a phone, then don't bother, otherwise sure it'll expand your market if it's universal.

7. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I don't mind either way as long as the game/app still works on my IPad. I prefer my IPad for games because the IPod screen is small. When there is so much info going on.

I've stuck to my IPad 1 forever. At Christmas time, I finally broke down and got the IPad air almost free because of the points I accumulated from my credit/debit card. Got a bunch of best buy cards so I ended up paying probably around 100 or 110. US dollars for it. I use it mostly for photography demos.

Of corse if the app won't work on either IPad b/c it is IPod/phone only then my mind would change from don't matter to does matter. :)

8. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I always appreciate when a developer tries to make it work on a smaller screen. If I owned an iPad, it wouldn't matter as much. It sucks to miss out on a lot of great iPad only games. :(

9. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    Now that I have a new iPad (I used to have to use an iPad 1) it doesn't matter. A few months ago though, i would have been upset.

10. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Don't game on a phone, fingers too big, screen too small.

So Ipad only is ok, but so is universal.

I can see how it can become a headache though (programming for universal I mean).

11. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Ditto for me. In fact I get more upset when a game states that it is universal but is clearly designed with smaller screens in kind with no UI adjustments or control placement considerations made for iPad. I think that there should be several UI's built into a universal build, each catered to the device it is being used on. It seems developers assume that one control layout swirls well for all sizes when that is clearly not the case. I also think that developers don't take erogenomics into consideration into their UI's either. My thumb should have to move from it's holding position or stretch in order to reach a button, which it find a common problem with control layouts.

I'm rambling, but the short is that I understand iPad only apps. There are aome things that just benefit from the size that would require too much reworking to get it to effectively work on a smaller screen or worse would compromise the play experience by making it less than desirable (small text, too many GUI elements, too many hotspots to interact with on a small screen, etc)...

12. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I actually play mainly on my iPad.

You might want to check out market research to see if there is a difference between iPad users and iPhone users. iOS users pay for more games than Android users, but do iPad users pay for more games than iPhone users too?

13. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Every game is favorably played on the iPad 4 because of screen size and large gb. When buying universal I'm always in hopes the game was done right and will look and play on the iPad as well.
    The Touch hardly gets used for games and although it is getting outdated I mainly just won't play on a smaller screen any longer even though I've tons of pre-iOS 7 games on it. Still, its very useful for weather, check book, calender reminders, password manager, etc so its still considered a trusted device to own.
    So obviously biased, I wouldn't mind an iPad only game.

14. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    Thanks for all the feedback! Really helpful to see what different people think on the subject!!!

I for one play different kinds of games on different platforms. Whether its iPhone, iPad, PC, or console--each has its own vibe and fills a different role. I prefer PC when I really want to dive into a game--you know, turn off the lights, put headphones on, break open a 24 pack of Mountain Dew, and play a game for 3 or 4 hours. iPad is a lot more convenient than that and iPhone more convenient still. But there are still games I'll play on iPhone for extended periods of time--even when I'm just sitting at home. iPhone is just so handy--its so easy to just grab it and dive right into a game. And before you know it its been an hour and a half! I guess it really just depends on the game and even then it depends on the person.

Putting the game on iPad isn't a huge issue as I'm using Unity to make the game. With iPad I can more or less use a similar layout as the PC build. But with iPhone things will need to be redesigned quite a bit. Its an RPG that focuses on tactical combat. The game is designed to control like a steampunk airship--the UI is set up in a very specific way with lots of steapunky buttons, switches and levers. Because of this, reworking the UI is a little tricky. Also there's a lot going on on-screen and I wonder how well it would do on a smaller screen--like if players would be squinting to read stuff or if it'll be hard to accurately select stuff with everything squished down.

I'll see what can be done and I'll really aim to make this game universal. I want people to have the freedom to play on whatever platform they prefer. Hopefully the Kickstarter does well and I can get some funding to put into the iPhone version. Anyways--if this project interests you check out iqSoup.com or like us on FB for regular updates.

Thanks again!!!

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Suits me just fine! Don't have an iPhone or iPod touch anymore, just my iPad, so I'm okay with it. My phone is a Note 3 which is Android.