Advice on Game Center affect on min spec

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by mediakitchen, Apr 18, 2011.

1. mediakitchen

mediakitchen Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Game Developer
    Somerset, UK
    I use Corona SDK to develop iPhone/iPad games and with their latest version it is possible to implement Game Center leaderboards and achievements via OpenFeint.

As far as I can tell this would result in my game not being playable on certain older devices such as the iPhone 3G.

If this is the case, should I be concered about losing this section of potential buyers?

I am all for moving forward with technology but if there is a large percentage of the buying market still using iPhone 3G I need to consider this decision carefully.

Another alternative is to release a version of my game specifically with the GC features. Or I could release a lite version of my game with some other elements removed and without the GC features.

Any advice much appreciated.

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Cant you just weak link gc and check if the ios version is 4.1+ to enable gc?

3. mediakitchen

mediakitchen Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Game Developer
    Somerset, UK
    Unfortunately with Corona I do not think this is possible - yeah I know I should bite the bullet and learn Objective C:)

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    hmm well i don't know the capabilities of corona to add different frameworks to a project.. maybe your better off with your question at their forum?

as for alienating users who still use 4.0 and earlier.. well

its always good to support older devices if you can.. if thats out of your hands.. well look forward not backward.