Game Recommendations: Whose opinion do you trust more?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Dec 19, 2009.

?

Whose opinion do you trust more?

1. I trust critics more

15 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. I trust customer reviews more

16 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. I trust both about the same

17 vote(s)
    31.5%
  4. I trust neither

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I learn slightly more toward customer reviews than critic reviews.

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I trust TA. iTunes reviews suck and critics aren't harsh enough.

3. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    I agree, TA is my gold standard too.

4. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    TA has only let me down twice, but, overall, I've enjoyed most of their recommendations. Pac-Man Championship Edition has been a blast.

5. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Usually just TA, STP, User Review Section, and Reactions in the game's respective thread. These things usually do a good job telling what is good and bad, but they aren't flawless (still mad I was convinced to buy Soosiz)

6. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    I think both are important.

Formal reviews are nice because it offers a more structured view of a game, especially in the context of many other games.

That said, I mentioned in a podcast that reviewers have a skewed view of the world, since you are playing literally hundreds of games. So, it's not necessarily going to match up exactly to a casual gamer's perspective.

One good example is Star Wars: Trench Run. I think as an iPhone game in the sea of thousands of other iPhone games, it's not great. But the random non-serious gamer seems to love it.

The forum threads here let you interact with all types of gamers. But there's always a mix, but usually you can figure out who you agree with and who you don't so you can figure out if you are going to like the game or not.

arn

7. xdanleex

xdanleex Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Procrastinating
    LA,CA
    agree with you

8. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

I only pay attention to apple store reviews if half or more of the reviews are frustrated by the same problem such as poor controls or something like that.

9. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Same here, there are way too many people who either skip the tutorial, never read the help section, or don't look in the options. Most of the people giving 1-star reviews to 5-star games do at least one of these things.

10. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I always read both critic and customer reviews. I place a lot more value on the TA forum members' reviews than I do on the app store reviews, because they tend to be less biased.

I've noted that there seems to be more and more shill reviews on the app store lately (i.e. a lot of 5-star reviews by people who have only reviewed one game, or several games by only one dev.)
    Maybe it's a coincidence; maybe not...:rolleyes:

11. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I trust Toucharcade.

12. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

#12 RiverOnFire, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    I've gotten pretty good at spotting these too. It's amazing... even devs who you wouldn't think need to do it...like a large company that starts with a G and ends in ameloft.

:)

13. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I tend to get my info from every possible place i can then make my decision when comfortable. It's never a trust thing really, its more taking in all i can but both are valid so I vote both. ;)

14. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    TA reviews, we're all gamers here and not 10 year old kids like in the App Store.

15. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Usually, I only buy the games that get the most hype.

16. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    *ahem* ;) Laby 2 and JCS both got a 3/4 from me... just saying

17. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    For products like on CNET.com where its electronics, I normally lean a bit more towards customer reviews (and u have to cross reference them or its pointless)... normally I think arn & crew hit the nail on the head for most games.

It really is a mix of both, but id lean towards the critics on TA, other places not so much... (i dont think there is the underhanded promotion of games)

arn is a legend imo, i used to be addicted to macrumors.com (pretty much until TA)

I trust his opinion

18. Asphyxiation

Asphyxiation Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Agreed. Take IGN for example. :rolleyes:

19. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Any person/site who has squareball as the Game of the Year has no credibility

20. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    >=(

*cough*somecriticsarewaytooharshlikethatSTPtimeguy,likewtf3/4forlaby2andjcs?*cough*

But its okay, everyone makes mistakes :p