Good peer-to-peer games on the iPhone

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by FredP, Jan 21, 2014.

1. FredP

FredP Member

Jan 16, 2014
    FD at Small-Bet
    UK
    Hi all,

Just wondering what iOS games people like playing against their friends, as opposed to single player.

Do you use Game Center for this, or another method?

I play a range of sports (soccer, boxing etc.), skill and shootemups. Realtime can be an issue when the connection is weak, so I mostly play turn-based.

In the spirit of openness, I work for a company that has a peer-to-peer challenge functionality for iOS games, with a few different games on the platform. They can be played as free challenges or for real money (against friends, not the company). I'm therefore interested in responses both so I can play the games myself and in case there is anything the company should be focusing on for new titles.

Thanks in advance for feedback :)

2. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I prefer games that don't visibly use gamecenter. When the GC thing pops up it just seems a little cheap. Gasketball and Slingshot Racing are games I love that unfortunately do this.

Games that use GC (I think) invisibly are Outwitters and Letterpress. Much better multiplayer experiences!

IMHO

3. FredP

FredP Member

Jan 16, 2014
    FD at Small-Bet
    UK
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll give Slingshot Racing and Gasketball a try, along with Outwitters and Letterpress. I'm interested to see the different experiences of GC!

4. Asphalt 8 local mp!

5. FredP

FredP Member

Jan 16, 2014
    FD at Small-Bet
    UK
    Thanks! Just had a look at Asphalt 8. That is a sizeable download!

Before I take the plunge, what do you mean by local MP? Is it realtime or turn based? Same cars or can your opponent use an upgraded one against you?

6. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Asphalt 8's online multiplayer is the gold standard for real time multiplayer on iOS in my opinion. Every race is full, day and night, and there is almost no wait time. I think it's a combination of being free (lots of players), being very streamlined (no waiting around for everyone to choose their options), and a little bit of magic (using their own servers or something).

My suggestions before were for async turn-based games, but for real time A8 is the best.

7. FredP

FredP Member

Jan 16, 2014
    FD at Small-Bet
    UK
    I'm sold! I'll give it a test tomorrow.

I'm guessing it accommodates challenges versus friends as well as matched tournaments? Tournaments are great, but there's also something more personal about getting one over on a friend.

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Castle Raid 2

9. FredP

FredP Member

Jan 16, 2014
    FD at Small-Bet
    UK
    Thanks, I'll check out Castle Raid 2 as well.

I think some strategy games are great multiplayer, but others really struggle to be engaging on small screens - I'll see how CR2 holds up! That is coming from someone who grew up on strategy games on the PC though...