Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Week (December 12)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Dec 12, 2013.

?

What was your favorite release the week of December 12?

Poll closed Dec 19, 2013.
  1. Starborn Anarkist

43.1%
  2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

21.6%
  3. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

11.8%
  4. The Room Two

5.9%
  5. Angry Birds Go

2.0%
  6. Fiz: The Brewery Management Game

2.0%
  7. Ski Safari: Adventure Time

9.8%
  8. Suburbia

3.9%
  9. Poppy Kart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Reiner Knizia's Razzia - The Mafia Board Game

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

cough cough Tiny Thief is $15 on Steam cough

Yes, with freemium crap so commonplace, seeing a quality premium IOS indie getting the recognition it deserves in the polls is great. Now TA and other sites just needs to review the game

2. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    ... And you thought ports had an advantage... Tsk, tsk!

J/k

That's not very gentlemen like of me... But this does lay credence to the debate over on the GotY thread, in that ports don't need be excluded or are given to always have the advantage...

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I'm really torn between Starborn Anarkist and Fiz, but at this point it looks like my vote wouldn't make a difference either way anyway.

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yikes. That's a good game (and technically Rovio Stars so kind of a little more "indie"), but justifiably that much higher for the PC version?

That's not nearly as bad as Angry Bird Star Wars for consoles --- $49.99!!! Kinect-support, 30 more levels...justifies 25X the price of iOS (including SW I and SW II)?!?!?! I think not!

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Not really.

Like i said in one of my previous posts, there is a difference between a GotW pick and a GotY pick.

For a GotY pick, it has to keep its status and rep as a great game over the year. For GotW, first impressions play a greater role.

I love Starborn Anarkist, and i chose it over GTA SA for my GotW, but i am unsure if it will have that lasting effect on me. Plus, it wont be just me. How much of the userbase do you think would think of, buy and download Anarkist compared to those who will think of, buy and download GTA SA by, let's say, next year?

Makes me wonder... How many users have heard of Starborn Anarkist outside of Touch Arcade?

The number of times i've completed KOTOR since it was first released, the number of times i completed its sequel... Both on the PC. It has proven itself time and time again. And it is widely known that it isnt just me.

When Limbo came out on iOS it was the first time i played it. Insta-love. Since then, til now im still playing it. Finished it about 6 or 7 times already, but thoughts of deleting it still hasnt occured to me.

My point here is that these games have proven themselves not just to me, but to the majority of gamers regardless of gaming platform, and each incarnation has proven the games to be headstrong.

Their success is one of the main reasons they get ported.

Like I said, i love Starborn Anarkist, and i hope it does well financially, but the chances of it being generally accepted as a better game than most successful ports is pretty slim.

That said, none of us are wrong, although we have different standards in our GotY and GotW picks.

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    ^^ I almost always agree with you E-P, but his left me a little confused. I can't tell if you're still against ports in GoTY. To me, I still think they have an overall advantage just because of precious familiarity (particularly games like KOTOR, XCOM and GTA:SA....as opposed to the many smaller indie games that are technically ports from PC).

I still feel, as I expressed in the GoTY thread, that there should be a separate poll for ports and iOS originals. It's hard for any small indie game to compete with massive well known titles. But I lost that battle. And I still think it will be one of the big ports that wins (possibly with Asphalt 8 in there, although far from an original indie title).

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Dont worry... Im still with you on that.

Not really against ports, but like you said, I also see their advantage. I do agree that the best way for a GotY poll is to separate ports and originals.

But since the ruling in our GotY thread includes ports, no choice but to include what i consider to be one of the best games to grace the appstore, even if it is a port: SWKOTOR.

8. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

And it wasn't even close! Nice to Starborn take the first place win over GTA

9. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Nooo forgot to vote. Wait what... Starborn won? Wohoooo! :D

10. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Congrats to ZeMind!