Starting point of your app vs. finished product?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

I like to have my apps completed in my head before I start. The end result always reflects the starting position. The only reason is my games usually have one solution that is better than all the other options. Especially when designing puzzles there is an optimal solution that is better than the rest.

I Would love to hear from others how much their apps change during the course of development. A percentage illustrating the variation would be great.

My puzzle games are 95% planned and 5 % has changed during the app development stage.

I am quite sure most ratios are 50% plus. Some stories of drastic changes would be great as well. It would also be interesting to know what those changes did to the budget and time schedule!

Jeff

2. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    A large portion of my original plan changes during development. I think up new ideas, figure out ways to implement new features, and run into problems. It is an overall crazy ride :)

3. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Me too. :)

4. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I haven't really made any stuff that's been particularly complicated but for my upcoming Fumbers I'd say the final product is as good as identical to the game I set out to make.

Yes, there are alterations in pacing/presentation/dificulty, but the main-mechanics and overall feel is there. I actually plan a lot of the stuff on paper first, as I find it helps me discover possible caveats before I start coding. For bigger projects I think this is something of a necessity (at least for me) and if not, at least a huge time-saver.

5. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I find it an interesting discussion, and some developers can differ dramatically. I'd lean on the side that I prefer things to be perfectly planned to the smallest detail before beginning any project, and many commercial games are tightly designed and scripted. In contrast, the developers of Uncharted 2 were interviewed and talked about how they made a relatively loose skeleton design which they changed depending on the gameplay during development. They spoke about how it allowed them to change the story if they found a particular level design didn't work… it's an interesting approach.

6. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

I come up with the concepts, the outline, the game play and things like that and then my business partner takes them and runs with them (since he's the actual developer/programmer) - I then check in with him and see how things are progressing and discuss.

Since my drawing consists of crude sketches that make no sense what comes out is usually far off from what I envisioned - and usually a hundred times better, haha.

The puzzle game I came up with is far and away different than what it started as and it's a lot better, it's great having another person to work things out with. A lone developer is a lot like a writer/director, of course they're going to do exactly what they thought of and think it's perfect :D

7. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

The tools are too gooooood!

The iPhone and iPod touch platform allow developers to let their imagination run wild. In a world where almost anything is possible development plans can change drastically. It is almost a necessity to control your cravings for more features. Where do you stop?