How much space do I need on an iPod touch?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ThisIsAUsername, Jul 12, 2013.

1. ThisIsAUsername

ThisIsAUsername Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #1 ThisIsAUsername, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    Didn't know where to put this, so I figured it could go here. I'm going to get a 5th generation iPod touch, but don't know if I should get 32 or 64 gigabytes (it's about a $70 difference on Amazon). My total iTunes library is 19.3 gigs, so the only reason for the 64 gigabyte model would be if it were sufficient for some years. Any thoughts? Anyone know if/when the 6th generation will come out?

2. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Hmmmm. Doesn't seem like you need 64 GB since your library is kinda small, but games are getting a lot bigger these days, and you might wanna add more to it, so I'd go with that. That was never enough for me, and I always found myself having to dump a few apps to get a new one, but now I got the new iPad with 128GB, so now I can go nuts! I don't think any iPod touch will be good for some years, since another better one comes out every year or so, and devs stop making games for older devices, so there's that too. Just my opinion, but I'm an animal with this stuff, so.... :D

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Go for 64 as the price difference isn't huge. Plus apps are getting larger

4. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I've always been about getting the most space possible, because you never know how long you'll have the device and you might want to prepare for the future.

Like, when I got my first iPod, I thought, "Psh, I only have a couple CDs... this is way more than enough space for all my music!"

And then I got into a music kick that spiked it all the way past the 20GB limit. D:

I say get the highest-capacity available if it's within your financial means. You never know what will happen! Especially with all the movies, musics, books, and games that are available and sure to come in the future!

5. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I'd definitely go 64. that way you won't have to worry. the 6th gen should come out sept-oct 2014 based on previous model's release date.

6. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv

i had to choose between 16 and 32 a couple og years ago and i chose 16, and boy it was the absolute WRONG decision.

7. ThisIsAUsername

Dec 26, 2012
    I chose between 8 and (I think) 16 for my 4th generation.... I chose 8 :p

8. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Ooh!! Well, ya live and learn!!

9. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    If you're gonna play games on it, you should always go for max capacity. That's a rule for any platform or device.

10. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I'd go with 32 at the very least.

I regret picking up a barebones 8 GB (well 6.4 after OS install). It's an inconvenience to go through ifunbox to grab save files, delete app, and reinstall later. I just wished iCloud was better supported, and I realize that's not entirely the devs fault.

11. Enjoo

Enjoo Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Depends. Will you be getting another iDevice in like 2 or 3 years? I had a choice of picking an 8gb or 32gb iPod touch 4 and I'm glad I have the 32gb one. It's filled to to brim with games.

12. ThisIsAUsername

Dec 26, 2012
    If the iPod 6 were substantially better, I'd probably get it. Apparently there's a pretty big gap between 4 and 5, which is in part why I want to upgrade.