The ULTIMATE Tower Defense Guide

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Camzy, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    #1 Camzy, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    The ULTIMATE Tower Defense Guide

There are too many threads created for which TD is the best. So, I went to the trouble of making a big comparison table of the most popular TDs. Please help me update the information. I haven't played all of them. In fact, I've only played about 1/2 of them so some I don't know anything about and have been trying to get information either off this forum or from the app descriptions.

Update 1/12/09

Added Comets and Craters
    Added Bloons TD

Update 18/9/09

Changed the presentation to a google doc
    Updated existing information
    Added links to the iTunes page
    Added geoDefense Swarm
    Added Zombie Attack!

2. davagorn

davagorn Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Ooo, very helpful for us TD junkies. Thanks! :)

3. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    yup, it will be very cool, once it's fully fleshed out, and all the information is added in

you've got Sentinel 2 in there, but you should include the original Sentinel also

4. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    I deliberately excluded it because it's so similar to Sentinel 2 and because 2 is effectively an improved version.

5. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Sentinel 2 has 7 towers with 3 upgrades each.

6. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Yeah but a lot of people would rather play the first one to get a clear understanding of it and to get a feel of the series and storyline. Plus, it's only $.99. I Bought Sentinel after Sentinel 2 because I wanted to play the first one before the second.

7. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Thanks I'm going to update it every week.

8. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Tower Madness does have a downloadable fixed path map.

9. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    OK I'll include it.

10. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Also, The Creeps has 10 towers total is you count the Super Towers as well. And the towers have 2 upgrades each tower.

11. dyepbr

dyepbr Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    When you say upgrades do you mean how many times you can upgrade the tower from its placement as stock?...or do you mean to include the stock phase as an upgrade stage?

The latter is consistent with your star defense stats because it has 3 stages, but you only upgrade it twice from stock.

If you meant the former, then you would put sentinal with 3 upgrades (has four phases including stock).

12. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    #12 Camzy, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
    Thanks for that insight I didn't think of that. I'm going to say that an upgrade includes stock phase. This is so that people can simply multiply the two together to have a total number of different towers in a game.

13. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    This should be really helpful for people new to the TD genre :) I would not fit that description though.

14. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    When it's complete, even a veteran TD player can learn stuff from it. I've played Fieldrunners, geoDefense, 7 Cities, Sentinel 1, Star Defense and recently bought Sentinel 2 and still learnt a few things about the other TDs that I haven't owned yet. Do you know about ElementalMonster TD? The unique features of Sweetwater Defense?

If you're such an expert help me out!

15. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

Interesting list.

I don’t know how you want to write this but here is for Defender Chronicles.

Each tower (or guild) can be upgraded 5 times (including the stock phase).
    - Warrior
    - Berserker (advanced class of Warrior)
    - Archer
    - Ranger (advanced class or Archer)
    - Mage
    - Archmage (advanced class of Mage)
    - Halfling
    - Mini-Ogre

In addition, there are hero units and chief units (such as chief berserker and chief ranger).

One unique feature worth mentioning is that Defender Chronicles features freestyle mode, where enemies are randomly generated on the fly. So, your gameplay will never be the same. The game also features spatial 3D sound (yes, on top of the 2D graphics. The Z axis is where you zoom-in and zoom-out).

16. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    That's a very nice work ! I'd never heard of elemental monster (the card system seems intriguing) and thought 7 cities was a civilization-like...

Congratz and thank you

17. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bump. I'm heading out of town this week, but the moment I get back, I'll implement the changes you guys have helped me with.

Cheers.

18. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    This is another thread listing TD games.

19. dorino

dorino Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    http://ptdef.com/ works on the iPhone well enough, but no one ever mentions it. I think it's fun :p

20. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Elemental TD is a very unique one but I will try and sum up my knowledge of it.

There are five maps, each with three different phases (difficulty levels) and a time attack.

There is also a shop in which to unlock the different towers (cards). There are 10 cards per element and 5 elements. Of these you can only use five cards (different towers) per run through a phase. The stronger cards are unlocked by defeating enough of that enemy (your towers are versions of the attackers). each tower will upgrade in game like with other TD's but as some up grades they get special effects like say boosting the attack of towers around them or slowing enemys down. or even changing the element of enemys they attack. Certain elements are strong against others, (water against fire for example)

If you need any other info for your list just PM me :) I don't have sweetwater defense though so I can't help with that one.